Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have damn near stripped the hell out of the pilot jet trying and am afraid to try anymore with my screwdrivers. I guess my "small flathead" screwdriver isn't going to cut it. Would those of you who have successfully changed the pilot jet kindly let me know what your tool of choice was?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have damn near stripped the hell out of trying and am afraid to try anymore with my screwdrivers. I guess my "small flathead" screwdriver is going to cut it. Would those of you who have successfully changed the pilot jet kindly let me know what your tool of choice was?
I just used a screwdriver that seemed to fit--a craftsman--must have been lucky.

Here's dinqua's snap-on driver specs: http://www.dinqua.com/Triumph/carbs9.html

hth and good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just matched up a screwdriver that fit the slot of the new jet I was putting in and stuck it in my carb and turned counter clockwise an it came right out...

·
Registered
87 Posts
i sacrificed a screwdriver to the gods of fabrication shaped it with a grinder until it fit perfectly into a pilot jet, then using vice grips to hold the new divine tool was able to unscrew the pilot jet effortlessly

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i sacrificed a screwdriver to the gods of fabrication shaped it with a grinder until it fit perfectly into a pilot jet, then using vice grips to hold the new divine tool was able to unscrew the pilot jet effortlessly
Hahaha. Yeah I tried the pliers method as well. I don't have a grinder - though now thinking I might need one.

Also, I might add that I'm trying to do this while the carbs are still installed.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I threaded out the entire jet holder and took out the jets on the bench. Just have to make sure the collar goes back in the right way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Also, I might add that I'm trying to do this while the carbs are still installed.
Ah..I didn't have this handicap. Knowing myself well enough, I knew I would be too frustrated and pissed were I to try to do this with them installed. Good thing, too, as one of the bowl bolts had to be drilled out.

Is there a reason other than optimism that you don't pull out the carbs?

·
Registered
164 Posts
You could try shooting some PB Blaster up there, too, although if the carb's not out then getting it to seep in will be difficult.

If I were you, I'd pull out the carbs, squirt some pb blaster in the hole, then let it sit overnight and try to remove the next day. The stuff works wonders when it's had time to sit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured I'd be able to re-jet without removing the carbs, so I was trying like hell to get it down that way..

Now I think I've resigned to just removing the carbs first. Any further experimentation might strip the pilot jet beyond all hope.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm nearly a total newb and I was able to do it easily--very easily, in fact.

If you look at dinqua's step-by-step he mentions that it's hard to re-install in the intake rubbers--I had none of this problem--they slipped right in.

It was really a breeze--the hardest part was reconnecting the fuel line--ns.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I removed my carbs altogether so I could learn how to re-jet over the winter. That part is done ,but how does one know which throttle cable goes were ? I was not paying attention when I removed the cables from the carbs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I removed my carbs altogether so I could learn how to re-jet over the winter. That part is done ,but how does one know which throttle cable goes were ? I was not paying attention when I removed the cables from the carbs.
Lemme know if you want a picture. I didn't disconnect the throttle lines when I did it. Have you gone to dinqua's site and looked?

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
You make the case for working on them in place. Why do all that work--removing and re-installing, adjusting the cables, etc--just to screw out a jet or drop in a shim?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lemme know if you want a picture. I didn't disconnect the throttle lines when I did it. Have you gone to dinqua's site and looked?
You were able to get the carbs out without disconnecting the throttle lines? The throttle lines is where I gave up removing the carbs.. Guess I should've just tried tugged a little harder.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You were able to get the carbs out without disconnecting the throttle lines? The throttle lines is where I gave up removing the carbs.. Guess I should've just tried tugged a little harder.
Yes. I simply twisted the carbs 1/2 turn and laid them on the frame seat rail, pretty much like mr. dinqua.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts