Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....

My first posting here, so bare with me....

I bought a brand new ST ABS LAST summer (june '06).

After having almost endless problems with the bike, I put it my apartment for the winter....
Yesterday I tried to fire up the engine as I've done 2-3 time during the winter..... And, nothing happend. I've changed the sparkplugs but the result is the same. Nothing happens.
The battery is fully charged as I (of course) removed it for the winter.
The sparkplugs seems to be VERY dry, so it looks like it doenst get any fuel at all...

Do any of you have had any problems like this ??
This really annoys me, as I've had the bike at the dealer for 10 days altogether with various problems.. :mad:

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I hate to state the obvious but have you checked the kill switch?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2007-02-05 05:19, steventhechef wrote:
I hate to state the obvious but have you checked the kill switch?
Well, my bad... It turns perfect... but, not a sign from the engine that it actually will run at anytime.

I talked with the local dealer, and he said that the ***** in the carburator might hang (dont know the english word for it... needles?? ) but i think that's very unlikely as the enigine was started up in november.

·
Registered
658 Posts
No carbs in this bike mate. All the fuel is injected into it. If my dealer told me anything like this I would surely change dealers.

Check the fuses first.

A faulty fuel pump is not improbable if the bike has been sitting with old petrol in it for too long. Had this happen to my '99 ST.

[ This message was edited by: NikosR on 2007-02-05 06:22 ]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Palle

I had a 2001 ST locked up in my garage for over 12 months when living in the US recently. Kepted the battery topped up using a battery tender (trickle charger) and started the engine once every 3 months, never failed to start and never needed to assist the battery.

I did read somewhere that some premium petrols or advanced petrols can separate if left standing for long periods, so I gave the bike a big shake before attempting to start it to mix up the petrol. I did note that if I forgot to mix the petrol it was harder to start. Problem could now be that you have some of this separated petrol in the carb.

Daft question, you do have petrol in the tank.
:???: :???:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Daft question, you do have petrol in the tank.
About 17 liters ... That shouldn't be the problem. I mean, I've heard of this before, but... not in 2-3 month, then they wouldn't be able to obtain a storage at any gasstation ...

I've checked all fuses as well... I seriously cant find anything wrong (this is my bike #17, so I'm not really a newbie when it comes to fixing bikes) ... It'll go back to the dealer... again and again...

[ This message was edited by: Palle on 2007-02-05 06:51 ]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A faulty fuel pump is not improbable if the bike has been sitting with old petrol in it for too long. Had this happen to my '99 ST.
I've talked with my dealer about this.... and, he was like.."oh...*****, i had that problem last year, i totally forgot about that"..... So, tonight I'm going to check this.

Do I have to mention that Triumph isn't the biggest brand around here ??? (This is the local danish dealer, who actually still havent sold a single Sprint ! (mine is bougth in sweden where I live))

[ This message was edited by: Palle on 2007-02-05 07:44 ]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2007-02-05 09:33, KH_Durham_UK wrote:
Have a read of.........
That's interesting.. But, I still can't see any solution ? The battery connector shouldn't cause a problem like this ?
I mean... the engine turns, but no fire...

My dealer (as I now know by his first name) Didn't believe in the carbon-thing.

I've just tried with some "motor start spray" but of course the battry is dead now :razz:

Anyone for a cheap ST ???

[ This message was edited by: Palle on 2007-02-05 10:32 ]

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Try connecting a battery jumper box to assist it. I notice my battery gets drained down enough that it doesn't start but turns over fine. It seems the battery jumper box turns the bike over faster than the regular battery and it started for me the seconmd go-around. I do notice that this bike does suck if it has not been started in awhile and I think that its annoying esp for being a modern fuel injected bike. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you manage to re-charge the battery, it might be worth trying the following before you send the bike over to the dealer (to check the carbs :hammer: ):

Try a 'cold start trick' by opening the throttle about 25%, then pushing the starter button while at the same time releasing the throttle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Try NikosR's advice above...I had same problem as you have...engine turned over but wouldnt fire, after sitting a few moths over winter. I fully charged battery and held throttle open about 25%...she fired up on about the 3rd. crank. Seems the battery has to be fully charged, even though it turned over ok before.
Good luck.
Rob :cool: waiting for spring and some early riding!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems the battery has to be fully charged, even though it turned over ok before.
Yeah... It's back to life !.... I charged the battery over night... My charger had previous said "Fully Charged", but dont know if it was or not...

And, then I took some "Cold Start Engine" spray and blew it into the airfilter ...

It came back to life after appx- 15 sec's.

BTW... The weather here en Scandinavia has been pretty warm... Something like 8-10 degrees, which is enough for me to ride...
This morning there was snow :(

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Good news. Not always bikes this happens to. The Mrs filled up with petrol in the car at Albury (700km from home) in Jan. After fuelling up the car wouldn't start. Turned out the battery had died. $220 (service call and battery later) she's on the road and on the way home. Funny, some family said, a) I didn't seem worried and b) wasn't I going to get her.

The answer to both was no, Albury's a reasonable size city and there's plenty of mechanics who know a sh#t load more than me (as I'm not a mechanic) so I wasn't travelling 7hrs, to be the to hand over the credit card to a grease monkey when she was perfectly capable of doing that herself... Just the kinda guy I am I suppose :) .

Russ

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
On 2007-02-06 02:10, Palle wrote:
Seems the battery has to be fully charged, even though it turned over ok before.
Yeah... It's back to life !.... I charged the battery over night... My charger had previous said "Fully Charged", but dont know if it was or not...

And, then I took some "Cold Start Engine" spray and blew it into the airfilter ...

It came back to life after appx- 15 sec's.

BTW... The weather here en Scandinavia has been pretty warm... Something like 8-10 degrees, which is enough for me to ride...
This morning there was snow :(
8-10 Degrees warm!!!!! :razz:

Mate come down here we'll give you a lesson in warm, I was going to work at 5:30 am the other day it was already27 degrees Celsius and later got to 38 C.

At 5:30 it was already 93% relative humidity.

I guess temperature is a realative thing.

For the record these engines are bullet proof I have only once ever had starting difficulty and it was slow to crank in -5 Degrees Celsius at Armadale one morning.

I did the 1/4 turn throttle thing she fired almost straight away and let go the gas as soon as she fired up. Only time it hasn't fird first punch of the button in 2 years.

Oh did I mention I think your Danish dealer is an abslute tosser! :razz:

Carbs my arse!

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yeah! Go find another dealer. I bet most of the unspecified problems you've had were due to them! I'm not sure where exactly you're located (Denmark or Sweden) but if you're in Denmark and you can't find a decent dealer, you might be able to find one in Germany down the road.

Any dealer who would correctly answer the question about whether the Sprint has got carbs or not, should be better than your current one :-D

[ This message was edited by: NikosR on 2007-02-06 03:21 ]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Paale

I agree with DaveM, 8 to 10 degC WARM??????

Good to hear you got the bike going, but may be it is trying to tell something. 8 to 10 deg and snow is not riding weather. I guess the blokes in the mid and northern states of America will not agree. Those guys get out in all weathers because they don't have any choice.

:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
8-10C is no problem. Snow is. You usually don't get both at the same time.

Anyway, I prefer cooler riding than getting all these flies on my visor.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2007-02-06 03:50, NikosR wrote:
8-10C is no problem. Snow is. You usually don't get both at the same time.

Anyway, I prefer cooler riding than getting all these flies on my visor.
I'm with you there on both counts NikosR. 8-10C is winter weather here in the more southerly part of Oz, than where Dave is situated. Why, it's so cold I actually gegt up to 6-8weeks a year of -1c. Up to 7-8am then it rises to around 8-14 during daylight hours.

Russ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts