Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed and disconnected my headlights to have the headlight bowls powdercoated. I tried starting the bike tonight. The bike will not start. If the headlights are disconnected, will the Engine Management System not allow you to start to the bike?

·
Registered
17 Posts
From the Maintenance forum of triumph675.net

01-10-09, 03:40

Bike wont start without this!

Been doing a lot of work on the bike and to save the battery I removed the headlight fuse as I had the ignition on and off many times. Would you believe the bike wont start without this? I wouldn't. So lesson learned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Arkle.

Followup question. I had to disconnect the headlight wiring harness connector (plastic connector that the headlight bulb goes into). Any chance you know which wire goes where in the connector. There is a blue/red wire, blue/black wire, and blue/white wire. I stupidly forgot to take a picture or jot it down while taking it apart.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
If the headlights are disconnected, will the Engine Management System not allow you to start to the bike?
The headlights themselves are immaterial to the ECM. However, if Fuse 1 is pulled or is blown--the 20 amp fuse through which the headlights receive their power--that will prevent the starter relay from energizing, which in turn keeps the starter solenoid from engaging. If the starter relay itself is not securely fitted in its socket, that can have the same effect.

(For anyone wondering: What has the starter relay to do with your lights? It's what shuts off the lights when you push the starter button, saving several amps of current drain when you need all available power for the starter motor.)

According to the wiring diagram, the blue/red wire goes to the high beam bulb (pin 3) and the blue/white wire goes to the low beam (pin 2). If we're talking about the same connector, there should be a black wire at pin 1 and a yellow at pin 4.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diego,

Thanks for the wiring info. My connector is 3 wires. I found out that the black wire goes into the center pin (Pin 1), red/blue and white/blue go on the outside pins (Pin 2 and Pin 3). It was my headlight fuse that had blown. I replaced the fuse. The bike started right up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would you be kind to post pictures of the powder-coated bowls, I'm trying to do the same. I think they'll look marvelous in black!

I removed and disconnected my headlights to have the headlight bowls powdercoated. I tried starting the bike tonight. The bike will not start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts