Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to remove my stock 38 pilots today and replace with 40's,but I destroyed the end of my craftsmen screwdriver and rounded off the slot on the pilot screw.How do I get the pilots out now?:(

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
whatever you do be careful!!!

Screw Extractor, Easy Out.
If you break one of those off in the Jet you'll really have trouble.

Soak it first with Kroil, PB Blaster, Knocker Loose...
Some kind of Good Penetrating oil. WD 40 is not strong enough.

You'll probably have to drill a small hole for the screw extractor to grip.

A little heat on the Jet might help, if you have a soldering iron that will reach in there try heating the jet a little to help break loose whatever has caused it to stick in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sticky jet

Thanks for the advice.It must be a corrosion problem for the jet to be that tight.The main and needle jet,the ones that are easy to get to,almost fell out on there own.Such is the spice of motorcycle maintenance.:)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

Just for my information, what carbs & model have 38 pilots? I have only seen mention of 40 pilots (both Mikuni & Keihin) as standard in our Classic Triples.

I have recently bought a set of Keihin carbs from a Legend, and assumed they would be 40 pilots?

(Scruby - could you update your profile to show your location and bike - thanks).

Geoff

·
Registered
728 Posts
My 99 Legend was stock and un-molested when I bought it. it has Kehins and the jets are 38 Pilot and 98 Main.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

Thanks. Would this be correct for our Classic triples? Standard jetting:

Keihin: 98 Main; 38 pilot.
Mikuni: 92.5 main; 40 pilot.

Thanks,
Geoff

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
screwdriver recommendation

I have a set of Forster/Bonanza gunsmith screwdrivers, where the shaft is round, and the tip is relieved from the shaft by two curved cuts on opposite sides of the shaft. These are designed to fit tight in scope and gun screws, and they also work perfectly for carb work. I don't know if they are still made, but they are a great asset to any kind of bench work. I also have a set of those insulated electicians screwdrivers that I got from my Snap On dealer, although they aren't Snap On brand. They also come in different shaft sizes, and have a great tip. One thing that I have noticed in most of the screwdriver sets available from all the major stores and typical suppliers is that the tips are poorly finished. Don't be afraid to file and finish a tip to the dimensions you need if the original one isn't working. With a round chainsaw file, you can hollow ground them so they fit tighter in the screw heads. Speaking from experience, a few minutes fine tuning a screwdriver is time well spent if it avoids mashing slots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pilot Jets

Many thanks to Denny.I soaked the jets with PB for 3 days.Then applied heat with a mico torch,went down 1 screwdriver size,the little 3 inch red job craftmen sells,and yippie,all 3 pilots are out.My T-bird is a '02 classic.98 mains and 38 pilots.This all started a few weeks ago when my bike went on 2 cylinders.No spark on number 3.Nology coils,wires and new plugs went in.All was great for 2 rides then pow,back on 2 cylinders.The same one,number 3.Checked all connection.Same problem.So a new lower coil,ignition sensor modual,went in.But to get to the connection the carbs needed to come off.Might as well rejet while there off.I also have a ZX11d ebay shock thats been laying around since the summer.Sure would be easy to put in since the airboxes are out......Ever start out replacing a ceiling light in your bedroom,and the next thing ya know your down to the studs and replacing switches and outlets.Thats what this is like.But way more fun.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts