Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Tiger 800XC
I bought Lonelec OBD cable and downloaded Tune ECU app to my Galaxy S8. I cannot get it to connect for the life of me. Yes I've tried different procedure sequences and looked on Youtube. Can someone help me out or tell me where I'm going wrong?

Here are my steps I'm taking:

1. Connect cable to bike's port.
2. Plug cable into my phone.
3. Open Tune ECU app on phone.
4. Click on "ECU" and "connect" on app screen.
5. Turn bike ignition on.
6. I've also tried turning the ignition on BEFORE I select "ECU" and "connect" on my phone.

At this point I get nothing. I've tried having the bike running. I've tried the bike not running and ignition on as listed above. I've tried various steps in different orders but nothing.

What am I doing incorrectly?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
2012 Tiger 800XC
I bought Lonelec OBD cable and downloaded Tune ECU app to my Galaxy S8. I cannot get it to connect for the life of me. Yes I've tried different procedure sequences and looked on Youtube. Can someone help me out or tell me where I'm going wrong?

Here are my steps I'm taking:

1. Connect cable to bike's port.
2. Plug cable into my phone.
3. Open Tune ECU app on phone.
4. Click on "ECU" and "connect" on app screen.
5. Turn bike ignition on.
6. I've also tried turning the ignition on BEFORE I select "ECU" and "connect" on my phone.

At this point I get nothing. I've tried having the bike running. I've tried the bike not running and ignition on as listed above. I've tried various steps in different orders but nothing.

What am I doing incorrectly?
I'm using Bluetooth so haven't got any direct experience using the app through USB but just noticed a couple of things from your list.
Ignition should be on before you try to connect, run stop switch in run, don't have the bike running.
Did you select the ECU type in the app before you tried to connect?
is the connection status at the bottom right-hand corner of the app doing anything when you press connect?
Have you got a good battery voltage it won't connect if it's not high enough.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are you using an otg cable connected to your phone with the obd cable connected to that?
You could also have a bad obd cable.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which ECU should I be selecting for my bike?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Which ECU should I be selecting for my bike?
Triumph Keihin

From the TuneECU site

Connection with cable:

Connect the cable OBD (with OTG adapter if needed) to your Android device and to the diagnostic connector on your bike.
Open TuneECU and authorize the app to access the USB accessory.
Turn on the ignition
In the ECU-menu, use the option "Select" to set the ECU type (for example, Triumph Keihin)
In the “ECU” menu, select “Connect”. The light in the bottom right corner starts blinking:

Red – Initiating Connection to the ECU
Yellow – authentication
Green – Connection established

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have close to 13 volts on the battery, bike starts and runs perfectly.

I will select Keihen (thanks!). What other steps should I do differently?

1. Turn ignition ON, run switch to ON.
2. Plug cable into bike and then into phone.
3. Select ECU on phone and then CONNECT.
4?

After those steps....?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yes I have close to 13 volts on the battery, bike starts and runs perfectly.

I will select Keihen (thanks!). What other steps should I do differently?

1. Turn ignition ON, run switch to ON.
2. Plug cable into bike and then into phone.
3. Select ECU on phone and then CONNECT.
4?

After those steps....?
That should be it, I can't help you any further than that, like I said I don't use the cable, I use Bluetooth and as long as you get the right adaptor it's a piece of cake, I think you have the option to use Bluetooth on your bike as well.

Try the tune ECU forum if you're still struggling
http://tuneecu.boards.net/

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you explain the process for Bluetooth, in case I want to try that next?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Can you explain the process for Bluetooth, in case I want to try that next?
It depends if you want to reprogram your ECU (i.e. remap the bike), cable connection is the only option for that on your bike.
If you just want to use the diagnostic and test functions then you need a ELM327 adaptor v1.4 or v1.5.
That's where it gets tricky though as there are so many adaptors and clones available, it took me 3 goes to find one that would work.
I had to buy the OBDLINK LX to enable me to reprogram my ECU but as this is not an option on your bike you don't need to buy such an expensive adaptor but it would definitely work.
This is the adaptor I used previously, it will connect and allow you to do the test and diagnostic functions it just won't allow you to download to the ECU which you don't need to worry about, I'm not saying this is the only one that will work or the cheapest but it worked for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD-2-CAN-V1-4-Scan-use-with-Tuneecu-motorcycle-OBD/152592984449?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Then you just pair the Bluetooth adaptor with your Android device and press connect.

Maybe try a search on the forum for Bluetooth adaptors, I'm sure there must be plenty of people on here who use them and will have some better links to ones available in the US.:smile2:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are screen shots of what I am getting on my Android after I do the following steps.

1. Connect ECU cable to my bike and to my phone.
2. Switch bike ignition and start button to ON.
3. Open Tune Ecu app on phone.
4. Select CONNECT on app.

As soon as I select CONNECT the phone asks for permission to connect to Bluetooth.
There are screen shots of what it is showing once I say YES to allowing it to connect to Bluetooth. After I select one or the other choices that is is giving me to connect via Bluetooth (see the screen shot that shows the two that says"Null..." I get the second screen where the CONNECT and SELECT button options under "ECU" are now grayed out and it won't let me do anything, and there is no action on the app. I essentially have to close down the app and turn off Bluetooth to get the app to reset.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're trying to connect via bluetooth you don't need the cable, you need a bluetooth adapter for the ECU. I'll assume you're using one and suggest disconnecting the obdII cable.

If you don't have an adapter and you do in fact have an FTDI obdII cable, you shouldn't need a bluetooth adapter so when it prompts to connect via bluetooth say no. Where did you get your cable from and are you positive it's the FTDI chipset? Some obdII cables have a plastic casing that can be screwed off; if yours does you can open it and check the chip if you're unsure. I would be willing to bet that's the problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
33 Posts
No I don't have the Bluetooth transmitter plug in, I have the actual cable like this. These are the guys I bought it from.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TUNE-ECU-DIAGNOSTIC-INTERFACE-CABLE-TRIUMPH-KTM-APRILIA-BIKE-TUNEECU-ANDROID/360467533764?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
OK that's the right cable. So ditch the bluetooth route for now. When it asks to connect via bluetooth say no.

Are you pulling the headlamp fuse?

Here's what I do:
1. Pull headlamp fuse
2. Connect cable
3. Turn ignition on
4. Open TuneECU
5. Click connect

I believe opening TuneECU should be the last thing you do. Try that and let us know what feedback you get from the app and/or OS.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I'm doing exactly like you outline above, without pulling headlight fuse. I tried denying it Bluetooth and when I do that it simply goes straight to the screen with no numbers or lights flashing or anything, no action at all. I'm stumped and frustrated. I've emailed the company I bought the cable from and they have not replied.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts