Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my '01 ST out of winter storage. After I turned out of the driveway, I could not upshift into second. The shift lever felt stuck. I eventually got into second by releasing the clutch first and pushing up hard. Third, fourth and fifth were no problem, just first to second. After a the bike warmed up in a few miles, first to second was no longer a problem.

I noticed this problem last year too after the bike sat for a few weeks, but it was never this bad. It went away as the bike warmed up.

Anybody know what's going on, and better yet, how to fix it?

Mark

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
When was your last oil change? These Sprints need fresh good quality oil or they start to have changing issues.

That would be my first port of call and check the linkages at the same time.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Clutch plates gummed and sticking to each other, making the bike reluctant to leave first gear.

Change the oil.

Back in the day, we always kicked the bike through a couple of times with the clutch pulled in to free the plates prior to starting. Alas, no kicker now.

I could detect a little of this last week when I had left my bike parked overnight in a 30 degree F hotel garage. Didn't fail to shift but it was a bit reluctant on the first few changes.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Oils ain't oils

Note that some oils are definitely not as good as others for smooth shifting.

I have used Motul m/c oils for well over a decade because the shifting is so good.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had this issue too, but it is more of a cold weather matter. I do have new oil in the bike, but when it's this time of year (I live in Minnesota, mind you) the first to second shift is a tough one. I usually let the bike warm up a good 5 minutes or more, and it usually takes care of it. On those warm summer days, not an issue.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I just took my '01 ST out of winter storage. After I turned out of the driveway, I could not upshift into second. The shift lever felt stuck. I eventually got into second by releasing the clutch first and pushing up hard. Third, fourth and fifth were no problem, just first to second. After a the bike warmed up in a few miles, first to second was no longer a problem.

I noticed this problem last year too after the bike sat for a few weeks, but it was never this bad. It went away as the bike warmed up.

Anybody know what's going on, and better yet, how to fix it?

Mark
Mark,

I've got the same problem. It's worse in cold weather. Usually happens on the first couple of shifts from first to second. No problems on down shift. Goes away after a bit of a warm up.

I have fresh oil in the bike.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Fresh oil really doesn't mean anything with these bikes, it's the quality of the oil and does it meet the manufacturer's specs. that counts.
I used the break in oil until 3,500 miles and then went to SilkOLene and it shifts like a knife through butter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
OK, I did a little experiment this morning.

Instead of starting in neutral like normal, I started in first gear. I could feel the clutch plates first catch and then break free. Of course, you need the side stand up and the clutch lever pulled in.

Might want to give this a try and see if it helps your shifting problem.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I've been using the original Mobil 1 per the manual, and I am due for a change. I can try another oil (Motul, Silkolene), but does oil weight make any difference?

·
Registered
115 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts