Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I noticed that the bushing on one of my Ohlins shocks is cracking - see link for details - so I contacted BC to see what my options were. They contacted Ohlins who said no problem, send the shock back and we'll take care of it. All good except I can't get the shock off. I removed the exhaust pipe and two shock screws no problem but I can't seem to get the shock to slide out. When I took a close look, it looks like some of the loctite spread out when I installed the bolts and might have gotten around the frame fitting.

Any suggestions on how I can get this out? Is there any solvent that I should put in there to get that loosened up?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Is the locktite on the bushing or on a metal to metal area also?

It would seem that you could bounce the metal top of the shock against the rubber bushing a little, using a soft rubber mallet, and it may deform the bushing enough to let it work its way loose. It may also be that the bushing could be cut apart to get the shock off and then cleaned off the frame carefully.

I would be very careful though, that would be a welding/frame repair if you get carried away with it. Though, really, you would knock the bike down long before you bent the frame, I would think.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Can you get a gear puller on it?

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Use a small crowbar wrapped in something to stop any scratches on the shock and the frame. Put the bar behind the top of the shock mount and slooowly pry forward this should help break loose the grip.

You mentioned Loctite, what color Loctite ?

If its red you'll need heat to get it loose.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
OR...have preload set at lowest, grab the upper frame with one hand and heft up whilst pulling the top of the shock with the other - maybe after a few taps with a mallet first. The spring load provides pressure on the mounting eyes. Don't take both off at the same time - they keep swing arm/frame positioned.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Acetone should dissolve the Loctite, but it'll also dissolve any plastic or rubber that gets in its path.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it

Thank you so much for all the very helpful suggestions. I considered some kind of strong solvent but was afraid of it screwing something else that it may drop on or not working its way all the way through. I tried the preload approach by lowering the lift etc. I even tried the crowbar but all it would do was just move the shock and stretch the bushing.

The loctatite I had used was red and it had worked its way between the metal in the center of the bushing and the stud on the frame, so yes, metal to metal.

I went to AutoZone and got a puller. I was able to get it behind it and slowly cranked until it tore the rubber bushing and the top of the shock came out. Luckily I had already shown Ohlins pictures of the problem using the link above.

In order to get the rest of the bushing out I had to trim off whatever rubber was left and then use vise grips to slowly work the metal sleeve back and forth until it got loose and I was able to pull it out.

Man what PITA! I guess this is one of those rookie mistakes that you learn from. I'm almost certain that I'll have the same problem on the other side but hopefully I won't have to deal with that for a long time and I will definitely remember the heat approach if that is the case.

Thanks again for all the help fellows.:bow:

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Glad that puller worked for you. Thanks for reminding me why I mostly don't use Loctite. I put anti-seize on most of my bolts.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Glad that puller worked for you. Thanks for reminding me why I mostly don't use Loctite. I put anti-seize on most of my bolts.
I was at the autoparts store the other day, bought a BIG tub of anti-seize and a small tube of blue loctite... the clerk looked at my purchases and nodded wisely...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts