Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer wants $450.00 for the upgraded pipes, I assume its just a larger Dia outlet...Has anyone tried to mod the stock one or is there a aftermarket that is just the factory looking slip on? I just put the ISDT kit on and don't want to ruin it

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've heard of guys on this forum removing the baffles,but from what I've read and seen,it's a bit of a challenge,and results vary.I've thought long and hard about it and came to the conclusion that I would prefer to buy either the factory performance pipes(no baffles) or one of the aftermarket offerings.I just can't bring myself to ruin the original exhaust.Sure,you may have to spend a few bucks,but at least you will still have the originals to reinstall if you ever decide to sell the bike down the road.Then you could recoup some of your investment by selling the performance pipes(which won't be any trouble I'm sure).I'm going to slowly do some mod's over the winter and already have a growing stack of accessory boxes forming in the corner of my garage. Classic tank badging,headlight grille,Solo seat setup,number boards, bar brace,screen,centrestand,tach,skidplate,dresser bars.I've ordered a set of factory offroad pipes and also an extra set of front header pipes.I'm going to have the factory headers ceramic coated which will sqeeze out another couple of horsepower.(Ceramic coating will also hide the blueing).I'm going for a "works" look and so far it's costing a small fortune,but I think the end result will be worth the effort.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
LandRover,where did you get Scrambler headers and how much were they? if you don`t mind my asking. :???:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hey Landrover, that sounds pretty cool. One thing I'm hoping down the road becomes available is a different looking set of heat guards over the mufflers, something a little smaller or a wire grill type. I have the TOR's, I think they're 'glass pacs, loud but not too loud with a nice throaty burble, when you accelerate hard they have a nice loud roar.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
There is a couple of good threads that have been archived on WIKI
try here (props to kdlutes)
This primer is for a Bonnie but the concept should be the same.

Keef's Wiki page with other bits of helpful fluff can be found here

Thank Keef for taking the time to make that page and to all the people who did the primers..
I'm sure that it has helped a lot of people.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
If a Scrambler owner wants to experiment with a set of stock Scrambler exhausts, let me now, as I have a new set of the factory installed pipes for sale. THese are the quieter version, not the TOR ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I modified my stock exhaust by removing the packing and baffle form the exhaust outlet first. this can be done by cutting just inside the rolled edge with a 1 1/4" bimetal hole saw then pull it out and cut the perforated plate with a dremel cutter. It made a little difference in the tone but it was still too quiet so then I drilled 3/8 holes in the internal baffle plates with a long drill bit. It sounds great now. If you decide to do this I recommend drilling the 3/8 holes one at a time, it allows you to fine tune the exhaust note to your preference. The whole process took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did the same with mine, but after drilling with the hole saw, my baffle still wouldn't come out. Had to cut the ends of each pipe off with a dremmel and cutting wheel. After punching holes in the baffle plate, it sounds pretty good. Still not at the quality of the Thunderbike sound clips though.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Gimme a minute to build this post, and I'll suggest how you might be able to modify your system for under a hundred bucks. I need first to know if the mufflers can be removed from your headers?

Imagine if you will the below posted image to be representitive of what you hafta buy to make new cans. Just have a muffler shop cut some piping the desired length. Install in the pipes a baffle from Big City Thunder and an additional (sound deadening) baffle from JC Whitney.

If the Scrambler heat shields don't cover the cheap piping from the muffler shop, you can either polish them or buy some chrome exhaust shields from a JC Whitney catalog (as seen on my below pictured pipes below):

Contact Big City and order the "Thunder Monster part
number 2003." If the scrambler uses the same diameter header as the Bonnie 790, you will want the 1 5/8" Thunder Monster for a pipe with a 1 3/4" outside diameter
and 1 5/8" inside diameter.

Big City Thunder

Placement of the baffle seems best closer to the headers. I use the additional JC Whitney baffle at the end of the pipe to cut the noise down. Odd as it sounds, I got the best performance with the JC Whitney baffles extending out of the tips of my pipes by an inch.... but it doesn't look cool so I don't run 'em like that.

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-05 12:43 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts