Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see you can actually install aftermarket components on a 2010-2015 Tiger 800 XC to allow Traction Control. Is there any way to improve the fuel economy of the 2014 and earlier XC? Cruise control etc. Seems odd that Triumph claims the drive-by-wire and cruise control are what give the 2015 and newer models better highway fuel economy. I intend to tour with a Tiger 800 XC so would be nice to get the best highway mpg.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The base motor is the same but there are tons of parts that are different. I wouldn't bother trying to update what you got to the newer style ride by wire setup unless you found a donor bike. Over along distance on the freeway, the newer ride by wire setup doesn't get all that much better mileage than the other bikes did. My current XCx can get almost 60 MPG on a road ride but my 2011 roadie got in the mid 50 MPG and that was with the massive Madstad wind screen on it that my current bike doesn't have.

When it comes to day to day riding like freeway plus traffic mixed with surface street riding my XCx seems like it gets about 4 MPG better on average than my 2011 did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I recall correctly Triumph announced the 2015 had redesigned intake ports to increase swirling of the air fuel mixture allowing for more complete fuel burn. It also had secondary air injection into the exhaust. It were these changes that increased fuel economy. The ride by wire bit just allowed for cruise control and traction control to be implemented.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts