Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while ago about Honeywell Allied Signal Aerospace Formally known as "Bendix" being torn down. It was located in Teterboro NJ. It had been around for 38 years. I worked there when I got out of the Air Force for twelve years before getting in the medical field. I had got several things not worth anything monetary wise, but they meant a lot to me. The one thing that I am showing was a time card box that the hourly employees put their time cards many of the friends I had made some of which are long gone had placed their cards in this box. It was made of oak and was around long before I had worked there, but it was something I remembered very well. I deconstructed put it back together and added part of a historic poster that was made towards the end. I also added an old Bendix logo I was able to locate. I think I am just to dam sentimental.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Being sentimental and nostalgic goes with age, you're looking to repeat lost youth !

However if you are married you cannot be too sentimental !

......if you know what's good for you !

--------------
Ride on ! :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,482 Posts
Anybody who tells you you're too sentimental because of that probably rides a Blast. That's a really cool momento.

I still have all (okay, maybe 'most' is more accurate) of the piston rings I pulled out of my old Honda when I rebuilt the engine in '97 or so.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
.............I still have all (okay, maybe 'most' is more accurate) of the piston rings I pulled out of my old Honda when I rebuilt the engine in '97 or so.

There is a difference between a sentimentalist and a hoarder ! One can be cured the other cannot.

For what it's worth I still have my original BSA box spanner and manual (a single sheet of printed cardboard) from my first BSA. I never throw away good stuff ! :D

----------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I kept all my old tools for working with glass and glass machines. I also have a metal name plate from one machine along with the brass plate that was over the valve block that told you which valves activated what component. I cleaned it up and it hangs on my shed door. I collected some manuals for various pieces of equipment, some hats with the company name and location of them as well as some interesting bottles.
Maybe I'll throw some of that crud out one day, but you know, I spent a lot of time in that place and it was big part of my life.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have a small wooden box that was given to my mother back in and on the inside of the cover is written, "To Patsy - Merry Christmas 1953".

Inside the box, she has every single love letter my father ever wrote her before they were even married. She is gone now but when I am feeling sentimental, I read the letters to give me peace. There must be 1,000 of them

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have always been like that. I have two restored rocking chairs that my great grandparents owned. I restored them. I have tools some very old that have been passed down to me. I more recently had a split bamboo pole around 70 years old given to me by my father. It was in poor condition so this time I sent it to a guy in Wisconsin who restored it to original condition. I want to pass these things onto my sons. They are special. My most prized possesion is a milk pitcher that was given to me by my Grandmother. She was born in 1903 and it was given to her by her great grandmother. :)

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Lee,

I admire your dedication to family and heritage ensconced in your items. Without them life would be woefully less precious.

I too have items I cherish from previous generations. Somewhat esoteric I must confess and even a little bizarre at times. To wit...

A ceramic bed pan my grandmother had
Japanese Samurai swords from my father
A rifle owned by my grandfather
A signed 1st edition book of poetry by Giosue' Carducci given to me by A dear but departed friend in Italy

And of course, the list goes on and on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts