Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would imagine that most bikes in the UK have silencers; over here we call them mufflers. (smiley feature not working) Do you mean suppressors, such as the type fitted to semi-automatic pistols or sub-machine guns to attenuate the report? All joking aside, I'm curious myself.---James.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Totally over the top reaction there, and this from a gun country ! Must be legal in the UK if you can buy them, I've got one for my BRN .22 (this is not a gun thread is it !) :D this is so you don't scare everyone from miles around shooting with high velocity ammo.

-------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Under the Firearms Acts a 'firearm' includes any accessory to any firearm (as defined) designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon. So 'sound moderators' require a firearms certificate unless they are integral to the weapon (cannot be removed) in which case they are covered by the certificate covering the specific weapon.

These guys were presumably able to buy silencers in the UK because they held appropriate firearms certificates and then perhaps assumed, as many people in the UK do, that certification wouldn't be an issue in the USA.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
As one who's travelled, reasonably widely, in the northern hemisphere, I wouldn't dream of taking anything remotely associated with any kind of weaponry into the USA.

The guardians on duty have no sense of humour whatsoever (the visa waiver form wants to know if I'm entering the US in order to commit a felony) and always seem to assume the worst case scenario is the only one possible.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
As one who's travelled, reasonably widely, in the northern hemisphere, I wouldn't dream of taking anything remotely associated with any kind of weaponry into the USA.
True, in today's 'climate' it might be taking astep too far:D

The guardians on duty have no sense of humour whatsoever (the visa waiver form wants to know if I'm entering the US in order to commit a felony) and always seem to assume the worst case scenario is the only one possible.
I always wondered how the baddies in fims got in and out of the USA??:D

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Google is your friend....I did a search "silencer legal US" and the first hit was....

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=23137

which would make me ponder the wisdom of bringing anything firearm related into ANY country.

Sidebar: Rode into Canada this year....I keep a pepperspray container on the bike for dogs. Just about got arrested at Canadian Customs! You would have thought that I was lugging a Dirty Harry .44 Magnum the way they reacted. After 2 hrs, endless forms and waiting, finally one of the Customs Officers asked me WHY I had it. I explained about using it against anything canine that wanted to chew on my bike or me, and the tone settled down. Turns out that they classify it as a "defensive weapon." Guess you're not allowed to defend oneself in Canada. They didn't take my knives, tho.

Derswede

·
Registered
544 Posts
I find this the real scary part:

Ms Kocher said customs agents “reacted as they have been trained"

Training overrides common sense far to frequently in the UK as well as the USA.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Some rules to live by:

Ignorance of the law is no defence.
If you are a gun/hunting guy you know these rules to:

Always know the rules of the jurisduiction you are entering.
Never bring something across a border that: a) you don't declare; B) aren't sure about its legality.

An hour on google would have saved 3 weeks in jail.:cool:
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound= 0f cure.

Are supressors legal in the UK. I don't know. If I am tempted to bring one in I'll check first!

My guess is they are not!:cool:

BTW Why does a hunter need a supressor?

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
BTW Why does a hunter need a supressor?
I should have thought that was obvious - when they miss with the first shot, the deer will continue to stand still so they can try again. :D

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Most rifle bullets will kill a deer before it even knows about it. It will never hear the shot that killed it!
I bet it would;) - but by the time it heard the shot, it would be too late to give a d4mn

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
After selling firearms and working on them for such a long time you inherently know laws for many countries for importation purposes. I do know that they are legal on Air Guns in the UK. Silencers in the the US are legal to own as long as they are registered with the ATFE. The registration is a very lengthy process and expensive, as it's a Type III device which is registered as you would an automatic weapon. It also gives the ATFE permision to forceably enter your home at any time day or night to ensure that you are in posession of it. Regulations for use and possession are extreme to say the least and I won't bore you with the government jargon unless you wish. Now the other side of the coin is, if you possess one with out proper registration, you are likely to be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. You can receive up to 10 years imprisonment, 250,000.00 dollars in fines and never again be permitted to own a firearm in this country for as long as you live. Not a pleasent alternative.

Actually Haggis your not far from the truth. I've taken deer sometimes on the second shot after trying to make a shot thru brush. With a spitzer bullet they actually deflect quite easily, if they make contact with a heavy branch. If they are actively feed or engaging in the rut they may bolt at first, then stand still and alert to the location of the shot. You can't hunt with a silencer in the states except for some small game (varmints) and it's regulated even more stringently by each state. Legitmately, no hunter worth his salt would ever need a silencer. I know allot of shooters/hunters that could benefit from one though, cause they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and a second, third or fourth shot would be needed.:D I've guided allot of them in the past and believe me it would have been much better if I had taken the shot for them.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
A few months back there was a story on the TV network news about an English gentleman who was "fighting a war" against an introduced squirrel that was driving off the natives. Him and a pal were hunting with what looked like silencer equipped scoped 22s. I thought they were used so as not to disturb the local people population. It sure took me by surprise to see them in England, when your butt is truly put in a sling over that issue here in the States.
I'm guessing that they were using lo velocity (sub-sonic) 22 ammo as your silencer isn't going to do any good in quieting a supersonic round.

Finally read through the story and see that it was probably a hi speed pellet rifle.:eek:

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
I think most deer run when they see movement. When they hear a sound their heads come up so they can see which direction the danger is coming from. You can shoot at a deer, miss, and it will not run. It doesn't want to run into danger. If it sees you move, however, it's gone in a flash.

If you're on a motorbike it will ambush you and try and commit suicide.

At least that's the deer round here.:)

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Ahh,

The infamous Kamikazee Deer of Alberta, Canada.

I am sure Nat Geo did a programme about them once.

They migrated from Siberia.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Guns are ilegal in the UK exept shotguns, so yes silencers are as well, as for the idea that you would get another shot, as wabill said high velocity rounds are supersonic the "Crack" as it passes the Deer would scare it off well before the "thump" from the gun was heard, all ex forces guys here would know the sound of a high velocity round singing past you scares the C**P out of you enough to take cover, I suppose the silencer would stop a human from pinpointing the firing point from said crack and thump, not sure a Deer would care though.:eek::eek::confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts