Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To recap: I put the bike I bought partly dissasembled back together with an 870cc big bore kit , rebuilt head, and the following things happened:
1. It started up on the fourth kick, but started smoking badly. I only ran it for a few minutes. The next day I ran it for 20 minutes and it emitted humongous clouds of smoke.
2. I dropped the sump plate and over a pint of oil came out. I know at least some oil was circulating as I could see it in the tank moving, and getting warm.
3. After draining the sump, I could not get the bike to start. It would fire, but not keep running.
4. I checked gas flow from the taps and it was OK.
5. I squirted ether in the intakes, the bike backfired and caught fire because I had spilled gas on the crankcase. While I'm trying to locate the extinguisher instead of turning off the gas( DUH,) the plastic gas filter melted to add fuel to the fire resulting in a wrecked brand new Norman Hyde stepped Triumph seat that cost $400, and a blistered gas tank.
6.So now I don't know :
a) Why the bike won't start anymore(could old muck have got into the idle circuits on all 3 carbs? Sounds unlikely.). I do have a spark at the plugs
b) Why is the bike wet sumping? I had filled the oil tank about one week before starting it. Is that an issue with these bikes, and if so, shouldn't it have got returned to the tank by the return side of the oil pump after a few minutes?Has anyone had oil pump problems?

I am totally pissed off with the bike and myself at this point.

·
Super Moderator
12,858 Posts
Did you examine your oil pump before re-assembling the engine?

Did you overhaul your carbs?

Did you thoroughly flush the engine and all oil lines before dumping in fresh oil?

When you rebuilt the head, did you carefully examine the guides, guide bores in the head, and valve/guide tolerance? What new parts were used? If new guides, were they properly interference fit to the head?

Did you carefully check and properly end-gap your rings?

Are you sure your oil lines are properly connected? You can get a minute flow even if hooked up backwards, as long as there was oil in all the lines.

What type of oil did you dump in for the start-up?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got the bike I only had to reassemble the top end, so I did not look at the oil pump. The bike had been running when the PO decided to upgrade the bike with a big bore kit, so I only hung the pistons, put on the barrel and the head was already rebuilt by a racer Dwayne ? who was killed last year in Alabama on his Norton.I gapped the rings according to the manual at 9-13 thou.
I can only tell you the bike started easily in the morning, but would not start after I had drained the sump, even on ether.
I have never seen any vehicle put out the volume of smoke this bike was emitting in my 70 years .

·
Super Moderator
12,858 Posts
That would be Dwayne Williams (Rest In Peace).

You've got a serious head-scratcher there. check out Old Britts website for oil line routing info.

You're sure you didn't break the rings when you dropped the cylinders down?

Is the breather tube still routed to the airbox? If it was severely wet-sumped, then started up with a crankcase vent dumping the oil into the airbox, that would sure produce a mosquito-killing cloud in your entire neighborhood.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is a seal kit available from LP Williams (UK) for the valve stems as the Trident is prone to leak past the stem and valve guide.
The smoke issue you describe is alarming and I can only think of wet sumping being the cause.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry just reread your thread, did you ensure you had the rings fitted the right way up? Easy mistake to make.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One of the most common causes of severe wet sumping happens when the sump cover is installed backwards on the motor. From the outside, one end of the cover has fins, and the other end is smooth. The smooth end is supposed to be at the back. By reversing this cover, you seriously block the pick up/scavenge tube, and even though you are returning some oil to the tank, there is a whole bunch of oil not returning, and that oil is being pushed past the rings. There was a factory service bulletin issued about this back in 1970. I'm guessing that your starting problem is caused by some seriously oil fouled plugs. While they may show spark when placed against the head, when they are in the head, they have to jump 9 atmospheres of pressure. Recommend that you put brand new plugs in and then try starting your T150 again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put new plugs in the bike when it wouldn't start. Interestingly, 1 and 3 were oily, but 2 was not. Should we able to infer something from this?
I'm sure I didn't break any rings when assembling, I checked the bike could be turned over easily and looked for any signs of scraping.
I'm wondering now if there could be a blockage in the oil cooler, resulting in too much oil being forced into the rocker boxes. Right now the tank is off the bike being touched up, and I have the carbs off to check the idle circuits haven't got gummed up. I have taken the seat to an upholstery shop for repair. Fortunately all the wiring is OK. Thank God I don't have to rewire it.
When I get it back together I plan on bypassing the rockers and oil cooler to see if the problem goes away. I guess I will also have to wash out the exhaust pipes as they must be well oiled up.
The sump plate is definitely on correctly.I can certainly see putting it on backwards would be a big problem.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I doubt that you have any bad engine problems. These bikes can wet sump. In fact on its first outing the famous race prepared trident, 'slippery sam' wet sumped on its first outing in the le mans 24 hour race. The solution then was to drain out the crancase oil every so often and refill the tank, after several goes it cleared itself. It earned the name slippery sam because of all the oil it blew out all over itself. The excess oil early on it its life made the internals super smooth and friction free. It went on to win the TT five years running. ( even as a private entry after the company died). It still beat the Jap factory fours :)
I suspect here it just drained into your crancase, and fouled the plugs. You might want to spend time and physically clear all the oil feed and return pipes, likelyhood is that you have a partial blockage. I would advise not to use ether on them. They do like plenty of petrol to start when cold though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts