Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I did a search for "hugger" and "speed triple hugger" and got nothing, so dont yell at me! :p

So, just as the title says, would the stock hugger from a Speed Triple fit the Sprint?

I have seen a hugger installed on an S3 that uses the 3 holes at the front of the swingarm, looks to be a smaller hugger, that was just a tire hugger, and didnt include the whole chain cover etc.

I see that on my 05, I have the three holes that are plugged up, wondering if there are threaded or not.

So does anyone know for sure? I'm trying to find a pic of the OEM triumph hugger for the S3...cant really find much...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Johnny,

If you have the three holes, you're way ahead. I am not sure, but I think they're likely threaded and you just bolt it on.

If my memory serves me, there might have been a clearance problem if you bottom out the shock and this is why the '06s don't have the pre-drilled holes. Triumph didn't recommend the hugger after that. This is the only hugger I'd personally want so if it was me, I'd take the chance. But I am light and not likely to bottom the shock.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I see that on my 05, I have the three holes that are plugged up, wondering if there are threaded or not.
On my '08, the three holes that were used for the Powerbronze hugger were the same ones used for the stock chain guard. Is the Speed Triple hugger different?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

QUOTE]

On my '08, the three holes that were used for the Powerbronze hugger were the same ones used for the stock chain guard. Is the Speed Triple hugger different?
Caddydaddy,

Your '08 has holes in the top of the swingarm? I thought those went away in '06? Mine does not have them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If memory serves me right, I was at a Triumph dealer and saw the S3 hugger bolted to the swingarm, and figured it should fit the ST 1050, being the same swingarm and all. Although, I went over to look at an 08 ST 1050, and noticed that while the hugger mount location was there, the 3 holes were not :(

But when I looked at my '05, I see the 3 holes on mine, so I'm assuming it would fit. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Somewhere...someone posted that they had to have the "plugged" holes tapped (threaded) at the dealer or some shop. After that he used the S3 hugger.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Caddydaddy,

Your '08 has holes in the top of the swingarm? I thought those went away in '06? Mine does not have them.
Yes, there's one right next to the wheel, and the other is in front of the wheel. The Powerbronze hugger I just installed fit in the same location as the stock chain guard. Did they change the chain guard through the years?

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Yes, there's one right next to the wheel, and the other is in front of the wheel. The Powerbronze hugger I just installed fit in the same location as the stock chain guard. Did they change the chain guard through the years?
It still looks very similar to my Power Bronze hugger on my '04 Sprint I would say all the 1050's are the same on Sprint's at least.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Seems to be a fair amount of confusion here. The 06- 08 STs do not have pre-drilled holes on the swingarm. There is that lightly polished, raised area that is drilled on Speed Triple to accept their specific hugger, but that is not the case on the ST. I had the Powerbronze on my '06 and frankly I found that clamp arrangement that sits on the raised area to be a poor design, I wound up removing it in frustration. I'd certainly like to have a hugger on the '08 and i believe some members of this forum have had good results where I did not, and they may be my own fault!

denoose

·
Registered
196 Posts
Johnnythrice-
I had the S3 hugger on my '05 (12k miles) until this week.

The hugger is abs plastic had two holes for the singarm and two small holes on a flange along the leftside that plastic-riveted to the chain guard.

My swing(ing)arm :D had one tapped hole ahead of the tire on the left, no hole ahead of the tire on the right so double-sided tape was used to secure the right side.
I removed it because it had developed a fatigue crack where the flange mounted to the chainguard and the top of the hugger was flexing down unto the tire. I did not like the double-side tape solution, and I could see how the hugger could jam up against the exhaust under suspension compression.
The S3 hugger is definitely smaller (2-3 inches shorter) and less visible (picture in my album) than the Skidmarx I replaced it with.
I would recommend the Skidmarx (fiberglass or carbon fiber) or Powerbronze (abs) huggers over the S3 design because the hugger is better supported by the integral chainguard, they do not rely on the rightside tapped hole, and I think will offer better coverage.
I chose the Skidmarx because it didn't have the metal support frame and 2 support bolts sticking up through it, the chain guard was longer, and it wasn't abs (minor). I chose GRP because the gloss black matches my gloss black front fender (they may both get repainted to match the non-gloss frame) and carbon fiber hugger requires carbon fiber front fender requires... ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Jonny,

If you have the 3 holes already drilled in your swingarm then the S3 hugger will fit. It uses the 3 bolt holes and shares one other hole on the chain guard. And the grey plastic matches the Sprint grey.

It is smaller than other hugger options. I drilled and tapped 3 holes in my swingarm to install it. You have to be very careful when drilling. The long 1/8 th of an inch precision won't work.

If you are partial to the Avon Storm then there may be a fitting issue. Seems the Storms are a little bigger than other tires.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are pics here of a mounting a pre-2005 triumph hugger.
http://3banger.smugmug.com/gallery/4344608_6fF2t#254887620_e3vTC
Triple Ripple- "If you have the 3 holes already drilled in your swingarm then the S3 hugger will fit. It uses the 3 bolt holes and shares one other hole on the chain guard. And the grey plastic matches the Sprint grey."

That's interesting. I bought my bike used and I know it's a Triumph hugger because it looks very similar to 3banger's photos, but like I said it onlly had two holes in the front and the chainguard flange was slightly different. If I wasn't reduced-pixels challenged I would post pics :eek:
Also, with my Skidmarx I have very little clearance (3/16in) between the hugger and the left tire sidewall (Conti Road Attacks stock size). I may do a liitle shimming to alleviate this.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those thinking of drilling and tapping holes for a hugger, take the time to remove the rear sub-frame. It makes it all much easier to go in clean and strait. Breaking of tap sucks-ass...

My bike was less then 24hours old in this pic :D.

There are pics here of a mounting a pre-2005 triumph hugger.
http://3banger.smugmug.com/gallery/4344608_6fF2t#254887620_e3vTC

ooh..very nice! Would you happen to have a part number for that hugger?

I have to check my bike to see if the holes are indeed tapped. I know the holes are there for sure, as I see three holes that are plugged with rubber plugs (I'm guessing these are similar to the famous plugs that are found in the grab handle? uugghhh).

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Be careful.

Free hand tapping sometimes works, and some times doesn't. When it does not work, the broken tap is very difficult to remove unless you have some specific tools. Tap extractors are misnamed, because they don't!

The second safest way to tap is with a tap guide. A guide is a block (round or square) with two parallel faces with a guide hole that is sized for free turning of the tap.

The safest way to tap (excluding machine tapping) is with a Hand Tapper. It is an arbor that holds the tap square to the surface and feeds the tap normal to the surface.

·
Registered
450 Posts
COBLUE,

I ordered the S3 hugger and it had 4 holes in total. Part number A9700165 and A9728019 for the carbon fibre. The three SSSA screws are M6 x 30 mm and the shared hole on the chain guard uses a M6 x 16 mm.

There are two pictures of my installation along with a few other spring projects I undertook and posted last year. Lots of room around the Conti Road Attack.

I also kept my ABS shield but had to cut off a 1 1/2 inch strip on the bottom so that it would not interfere with the hugger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts