Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t picked up the bike yet but....can I run reg fuel in the bike or have it remapped to run regular fuel? What’s the procedure? Any pros and cons you care to share regarding this? Other than I’m a cheap bastid. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, what? My 12 triple r called for premium. Since sold a while ago and now I just bought a 2013. I just assumed the 13 would require semi premium or premium. The service manual says it can run on regular fuel????

·
Registered
67 Posts
Same on my 2018 Street Triple R -- straight 87 gas is plenty. My two previous machines (2012 Yam FZ8 and Zuk SFV650) -- same requirement. In fact -- on my FZ8, it was ok with premium, but on 'hot' starts -- it was hard starting. It would turn over many revolutions before ignition. It ran fine, but I didn't like the hard starts. I went right back to straight 87 (no corn gas), and it returned to normal almost instantly.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wait, what? My 12 triple r called for premium. Since sold a while ago and now I just bought a 2013. I just assumed the 13 would require semi premium or premium. The service manual says it can run on regular fuel????
Your manual calls for premium? Every 676 Street engine should only require 87 octane.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the same question when I got my 2000 TT600. I ran it down to near empty and added a half tank of regular. One ride around the block hearing ping at high load told me it needed more octane. Added another half tank of premium creating a mix of 87 and 93 octane. No ping with that or the midgrade I've run since (both are 90 octane).

The general rule is you only need enough octane to prevent ping. That said, on some engines the computer will retard the timing as necessary to prevent ping detonation so you'll buy a miniscule amount of additional power with higher octane in that instance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had the same question when I got my 2000 TT600. I ran it down to near empty and added a half tank of regular. One ride around the block hearing ping at high load told me it needed more octane. Added another half tank of premium creating a mix of 87 and 93 octane. No ping with that or the midgrade I've run since (both are 90 octane).

The general rule is you only need enough octane to prevent ping. That said, on some engines the computer will retard the timing as necessary to prevent ping detonation so you'll buy a miniscule amount of additional power with higher octane in that instance.
While not my favourite thing about the Street Triple I can't ignore the fact that on a long trip the Street will cost me about $50 less in fuel over the Speed Four.

Regular fuel for the win!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts