Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to upgrade the front forks on my 1993 Trident and fancy a set from a 900cc Speed Triple as they have some adjustment. Will these fit straight on and accept Trident wheel, discs, calipers, bars without any mods??

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Yes.....as far as I know, they are 43mm and the differences are on the inside ;-) Do make sure the compression adjusters work though as they have a habit of seizing. to keep them good just move them regularly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I know they are the same diameter. I was wondering if the caliper bolt spacings and mudguard fixings are the same. I believe they have different calipers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may end up swapping the calipers and discs also eventually as the current set up is not really up to stopping what is a heavy old bus!
I am really bonding with the bike now though. The ergonomics are perfect for me. Even more comfy than the Pan I just sold and I just love that sound from my Scorpion cans.:)

·
Registered
826 Posts
if your gonna be buying a set of 4pots from the daytona, dont!
buy them from an early bandit1200.exactly the same calipers, but not branded with the triumph logo (and suzuki caliper seals are less than half the price of triumph!)
they are DAMNED good brakes, i dont think there is much need to progress further from the 4 pots to the 6, the 4's are more than capable!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

The Trident brake upgrade you are considering was also offered as a Triumph OEM Accessory and it used the same part numbers as the higher-spec & 'later' T300s (both non-adjustable and adjustable fork models).

This would take you from: Sliding 2-pot calipers, 298mm Solid rotors and 14mm Master cylinder; To: Fixed 4-pot calipers, 310mm Floating Rotors and a 5/8" (15.8mm) Master cylinder.

On the forks: One thing to check out is that I think there were two 'different' sets of adjustable forks used on the T300 900cc Speed Triple. I don't know the exact difference, but think the stanchion length may well have differed, giving the two different pull-through distances shown in the Service Manuals?
Before buying the Speed Triple forks, it may be worth checking the overall length of these forks against your existing forks.

Also, just in case, the 750 Speed Triple was only fitted with non-adjustable forks.

Hope this helps? Please keep us updated - thanks.
Geoff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Speed Triple Forks Fit

I would like to upgrade the front forks on my 1993 Trident and fancy a set from a 900cc Speed Triple as they have some adjustment. Will these fit straight on and accept Trident wheel, discs, calipers, bars without any mods??
Hello Mark, Good news, yes the ST forks fit and without any mods. I also have an old (but beautiful!) 93 Trident which has the Speed Triple forks fitted along with the bigger brakes and 4 pot calipers. the Forks have been dropped through the top yoke (triple tree's for our American cousins) by about half inch to quicken the steering.

As the conversion had been done by the previous owner, I cant say how much actual improvement it has made, however mine does not appear to dive so much in the front end during heavy braking as as friends recently sold example! Fitted with Avon ST Storms the handling wet or dry is rock solid (my nerve will give out before the tyres!!)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I did this conversion about a year ago to my '98 Sprint. Geoffe is right, there appears to be 2 different stanchion lengths. As I recall when I was looking at bike bandit parts lists, I determined that there were two separate assemblies of adjustable fork legs (excluding the classics like the Thunderbird). Be aware that there are different triple trees also. The fork that I bought has an aluminum triple tree with a steeper rake (more trail?) Adding the six pot calipers, I now have a transformed front end, all for under $300!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts