Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 1200 Tropy. Upshifting to the higest gears is a pain becuase of the position of the foot lever. I actually have to lift my whole boot off of the rider peg to push the lever up into 5th and 6th gears. And I have a size 13 (47) foot. I was thinking of removing the foot peg and seeing if the clutch lever could be rotated downward. That should decrease upward throw distance. But I don't know if the lever can be rotated and the Haynes manual does not offer a clue. Anybody done this?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Do you mean the position of the shift lever? The shifter can certainly be adjusted, and I don't believe you have to remove the footpeg. I know I moved mine a few years ago. I had my footpeg off to do something else, and I did the adjustment at that time, but I don't think you need to remove the peg.

If you do remove the peg, it takes a 6mm allen wrench, a long extension, and a bit of patience to work around the chain. I used a 10" extension, a universal joint, and a 6mm allen wrench in a socket to remove mine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean the position of the shift lever? The shifter can certainly be adjusted, and I don't believe you have to remove the footpeg. I know I moved mine a few years ago. I had my footpeg off to do something else, and I did the adjustment at that time, but I don't think you need to remove the peg.

If you do remove the peg, it takes a 6mm allen wrench, a long extension, and a bit of patience to work around the chain. I used a 10" extension, a universal joint, and a 6mm allen wrench in a socket to remove mine.

Good luck!
I definitely mean the position of the shift lever. It does not align with my foot at all--I have to constantly lift my foot off the pet to upshift and downshift, and I never had that problem with any other bike. What I hope to do is rotate the shift lever downward--Is there a faster that holds the shfit lever to shaft or spline?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you go to Bikebandit.com and look at the schematic for the Gear Change pedal (under the tab for Transmission) for your Trophy, you'll see a double-threaded rod w/2 nuts on it. On the schematic for my '96 Trophy, the parts are labeled #5, #21, and #22. Loosen the two nuts (one is a left-hand thread, one is normal right-hand thread), then twist the rod until the shifter is located where you want it. Finally, tighten the two nuts again and go ride!

Have fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see what you are talking about and will give it a try.

How much difference can this make? I need to bring mine down a good amount.

Should the lever ratchet up and down as you shift? On other bikes, I think the position of the shift pedal stays the same no matter what gear you are in. On my Trophy, the pedal "climbs" higher with each shift. Is that normal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts