Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m stepping through the 20k service on my T120. I’ve mostly been referring to the Haynes manual since it’s more procedural and less about removal/installation.

However in the maintenance table of the triumph manual, it mentions Camshaft Timing for 20,000 miles. But there’s no procedure for verifying camshaft timing that I can find in either manual. The only similar thing I can see is in the installation instructions for the camshaft which involves using camshaft timing plate (a special triumph part).

Has anyone done this procedure? Is the timing plate the proper way to verify cam timing, or is there another way aside from the installation instructions?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Are you sure they haven't got it mixed up with the valve clearance check, that's due at 20000 miles according to the triumph service sheet, no mention of camshaft timing on any service sheet I've ever seen.
Only needs to be checked when the camshaft or chain has been removed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure they haven't got it mixed up with the valve clearance check, that's due at 20000 miles according to the triumph service sheet, no mention of camshaft timing on any service sheet I've ever seen.
Only needs to be checked when the camshaft or chain has been removed.
It's listed right under the valve clearance check in the maintenance table.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are those of us who have changed camshafts on these bikes so I can tell you.. if you go to the effort of checking your valve clearances to check the cam timing you need to remove the alternator cover then line the crankshaft up with the timing hole and then check the slot in the camshaft is level with the surface of the cylinder head, if it’s upside down you need to turn the crankshaft another turn, line up and check again...
This will be detailed in the Haynes/tritun manual, but you will then need an alternator gasket and possibly new o rings for the balancer shaft.
It is however highly unlikely the timing would be off, you would notice the bike running rough, so that whole procedure might be unnecessary

·
Registered
724 Posts
It's listed right under the valve clearance check in the maintenance table.
Can you post a screenshot, it's not on any service sheet I've ever seen, certainly not for the Thruxton which has basically the same engine.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Here’s the page from the tritun manual.
Never heard of tritun, is that a forum?
Have you got your owner's manual, it's not mentioned in the copy I've got or in the official triumph service manual, although they have been known to be wrong in the past, apologies if I'm mistaken.
It won't have moved anyway, the most you need to do with line up the marks on the the cam gear, I don't know if the gear is slotted but it won't have moved on the cam.
Because it coincides with the valve clearance check you'd look at it anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never heard of tritun, is that a forum?
It’s the site that has official triumph service documentation. It’s what dealers use, I believe.

I’ve already buttoned it up after adjusting the valves, and I didn’t specifically check the cam gear marks. The bike is running totally fine though, so I think I’m just going to disregard this for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts