Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm reshimming the valves & discovered something odd...

The exhaust camshaft bearing caps numbering '1' and '2' appear to have been fitted previously in the wrong order. '1' is where '2' should be & vice versa. (3 to 6 & the 'A' & 'B' sprocket side pair all appear in the right place.)

Supposedly, at the factory, the bearing caps are matched to their corresponding cylinder head bearing journal location, thence stamped (scratched by drunk spider technician ;)) with their sequence of numbers, 1-2-3 (Ex) and 4-5-6 (In) left to right.

The bearings all look fine - as they should, the engine's only done ~ 10,000mls (v. confident of this), last 5k by me. Seems likely it was built this way at the factory.

My question is, should I put the caps back as I found them in 2-1-3 order or swap 1 and 2 back to where they presumably should be ? Will the engine have bedded in quite happily as it is & therefore leave well alone....or not ?

Any engineering experts able to give the low down ?

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If I were you I'd leave them as they were when you removed them.
If anything was likely to go wrong with the bearing alignment it would have done so already.

The bearings are line-bored during manufacture, thats why they aren't interchangable (and why you cant buy spare caps!)

I'd say that someone in the past must have mistakenly swapped them round, but luckily it hasnt had any detrimental effect.

I re-marked mine with white metal-marker when they were off, to show the numbering and also which way faces forward, just to be sure.

V.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ventura, much appreciated :), that's pretty much what I was thinking but it's great to get a second opinion, I'll reassemble as I found it.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brent

Again, much appreciated input, I will be leaving things as they are.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts