Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Other than cosmetics, there's no difference between the engines. The extra HP comes partially from the crossover piper in the exhaust and partially from the marketing department.

Question: Do those bikes with both mufflers on the same side have the crossover?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes they have ( hardly visible on that picture but recently I don’t have access to my bike to make better one)

·
Registered
294 Posts
They're talking about the "green cams" that come stock on the Trident, Sprint, Daytona and Trophy. Having had a '96 Adventurer and currently riding a '98 Sprint Sport I can tell you the green cams are a significant improvement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This conversation has been gone over so many times in previous threads. All the 885's in the modern classic line up have blue cams, green cams in all the 900 Daytona, Trident, sprint, trophy and mk1 speed triple. Red cams are 955 bikes.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Here's the specs. page of my TBS owner's manual:

I don't think Triumph would benefit from a marketing standpoint, for stating power specs in a document you wouldn't see until you've bought the bike. The manual isn't a marketing tool.
There may be a good reason the TBS makes max power at higher revs. That's where I'd look for starters. The crossover pipe? I don't know. I'm not an i.c.e. engineer. IMG_3396.jpeg

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
If I owned a Thunderbird, I'd be looking for a TBS exhaust, then. Why bother opening up the motor?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. Where that TBS starts to fall off the power in the higher rpm's, swapping to the green cams will have you pulling hard all the way to redline. Just depends on what you want out of the bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Also, TBs values was stated with Mikuni carb and restricted rubber boots, values were never updated when they switched to Keithin and unrestricted rubber boots, TBS always came with this as it was released later. I believe the difference is max 5hp between a TBS and later model TB, although this is of course a guess...
This differenc can probably easily be fixed with an aftermarket exhaust system (something better than the stock TBS one). I've not yet seen any Dyno runs of a TB vs TBS stock bikes, has anyone here seen that?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts