Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gearing up for my second camping trip with the lady friend...
Temps are supposed to dip to just above freezing at night and rise to around 55 during the riding hours.

We usually just find food in the area after striking camp, only heating up coffee and hot toddys for the campfire.
So i ordered this tiny stove Etekcity. Had great reviews and was super cheap. http://www.etekcity.com/product/100049.html

Also got a tip that kids play mats (the kind that lock together) work as a great additional sleeping pad. They are 1' x 1' x .4" so we shall see how well they pack or if they are left for car camping. I think i can put enough in the panniers without taking up TOO much space.

Any additional tips?

Ill post pics and maybe video clips when I return.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always like to use compression bags for my clothes etc. Makes them pack down a lot smaller, and also gives them some weather proofing for when things get super wet. You can get them relatively cheaply on Amazon.

I use a nylon, "down" filled blanket as my ground layer. Once packed into a compression bag it's only about the size of a large pair of socks. It doesn't do much in the way of padding per se but it does keep the cold from the ground at bay really well. I also bring along about 6 or so reuseable zip ties, these can also be picked up on amazon. They are pretty handy for all sorts of stuff in a pinch and I almost always end up using at least one or two on a longer trip for something or another.

I do a lot of long trips on bikes that aren't "meant" for it. So I have had to get clever over the years. Taking my Thruxton R camping up in Big Sur next month. That should be really interesting.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice...
I was once an avid camper (eagle scout). But for the last 15 years its been mostly car camping. Im trying to get more gear that is better suited for motorcycle camping.

Your right, i need to add several of those compression bags to my list. I need one for each of the bags and one for each of us to pack in. For this trip im just going to use lash straps with buckles to cinch everything down

For my ground pad I'm looking more for comfort and less for warmth. In my old age Ive gotten intolerant of hard surfaces and being able strike camp in grass is basically impossible in southern California. Anything that can compress will just compress under my weight.
I have found that the sleep pads that z fold take up more room, but pack better on a motorcycle because they create a box that can then be packed on top of.

I did spring for the tiny camp chairs. Not sure if those will be worth the cost or not

·
Registered
909 Posts
We got little inflatable pillows from REI. They pack up really small, although they are a bit pricy, but I think worth it on a bike where space is at a premium

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Look for backpacking gear, it has to be small and light. Everything down and wool.
We had the self inflating sleeping pads and I love them, but they are way too big to carry when backpacking of moto camping, so we got blow up sleeping pads, they're expensive but the size/weight when packed up made them worth it.
We also have sleeping bag liners, which can add 15* to the bag rating, I have a silk one that packs up smaller than my hand!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wasn't nearly as cold as anticipated... maybe 40 as the low. So the 3rd sleeping bag was totally unneeded.

The camp chairs worked out great. Packed pretty small, pretty comfy, and were way less than REIs option.
Easily fit both of these and two sleeping bags, and assorted other stuff into one pannier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts