Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in what to do. im replacing the gasket on the cam cover. ive removed the rad but the cover gets hung up on the cam chain. My manual doesn't give any details with this. any one know what to do or suggestions? oh ya the bike is an 01 600TT

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Some frames don't allow enough clearance to get the cover off like the manual explains. I had one TT600 that didn't, and I have one that does…I don't know why.

The trick is to support the oil pan with a jack, remove the front and rear upper engine mount bolts (3 in all) and loosen the bottom engine mount bolt. Lower the jack a little bit at a time and the engine will roll down and away from the frame. You may have to press on the engine a bit while snaking the cam cover off. Be careful not to scrape the cam cover on the timing chain, as it would not be good to get gasket or aluminum debris down in the engine there.

Be extremely careful with how the bike is secured while doing all of this! Also, watch out for the aluminum spacer on the rear upper engine mount bolt (you need to put that back in and it's easy to miss). You've got the manual, so take a look at it also, but that's the gist. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
+1 to what BombFactory said. I have to drop my motor a little bit to get the cam cover off.

it is really annoying but it works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats exactly what i had to do thanx for the help, what a pain in the arse just for a stupid gasket.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Good to hear it worked out; if it didn't work, the next step would have been the sawzall:eek::p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts