Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lifted the cam cover on my Girlie for the first time (by me) as it's done 30,000 miles and a check is most likely overdue.

Does the rubber seal for the cam cover, if in good condition, seal properly? I ask, as clearly the last person in there has used copious quantities of clear silicone (RTV), which I personally LOATHE. Where the stuff squeezes out of joints inside, it breaks off, blocking oilways and AAARGH! :mad: I'm sure the factory don't use silicone, do they?

What's the preferred method of sealing it when I replace the cover?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You're supposed to use silicone on the semicircular bits that fit in the cutouts at the end.

I find silicone is fine when you use the right amount (ie the very thinnest smear you can manage). I've been using it for over 20 years for difficult joints like Norton Commando rocker caps. The other stuff I like is Wellseal but I'm not sure if it would work there.

Like you, I'm sometimes appalled by what previous owners have done. The guy I bought my Velo off had used so much on the rocker gasket some had come loose and had blocked the oil return. Took me ages to work out why it smoked when I started it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ian, that's what I did after finding my reading glasses and consulting the Haynes book of fibs. But I had to go and buy some silicone - I don't usually keep it the cupboard.

All valve clearances within spec. Which is good. ;-)

I've not tried Wellseal yet. I'm a confirmed user of Hylomar at the mo'.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'll second that one as well.

No problem using the old gasket, but seal the semi circular bits or they will "weep".

Might be a good idea to give the rest of the gasket a thin coat as well, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I did not use any silicon when I replaced the original cam cover seal a couple of months ago. I think I considered it at the time I removed it but for forgot when I replaced it several days later....perhaps in the haste of getting back on the road!

After a really short run, I noticed no leaks but a hotter run resulted in a tiny smear of oil from the semicircular face but after a thorough clean-up and a few long journeys since, I've not noticed any further leakage. My only explanation is;

a) The oil I noticed was residual oil that had 'welled' in the bottom of the recess during the service and was therefore squeezed out when the cam cover was replaced, then appeared as the heat thinned it out.
b) The heat cycles have 'settled' the gasket
c) There is no more oil left in the engine to leak out!!!! :)

I've got away with it this time but if I were doing the job again, I would use a smear of silicon. If I notice any more weeping I'll most likely leave it until such a time that I need to remove the tank for other reasons.

Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts