Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Speedy only 3 K miles-Had my cam cover off (don't ask!) carefully reinstalled,rode bike for 20 minutes and all was well until a couple of high RPM blasts-got home bike was idling and oil was dripping very fast. pulled the cam cover back off and located the leak area at the rear of the cam cover. This time I took off the cam cover again(which was super clean to begin with) and cleaned all surfaces to SPOTLESS condition made sure the gasket was spotless and flawless and took more time than a brain surgeon performing a procedure to replace every thing as perfectly as possible including a bit of silicone in the half moon areas. I even used a tiny amount of super glue in a a few spots to be absolutely certain that the gasket stayed in position in the cam cover during installation. I am 59 years old and have been riding and wrenching for 45 years of continuous bike ownership so I have been around the block at LEAST once before. After all the pain in the ass assembly I started it up and oil began to almost flood from the left front corner of the cam cover (not the half moon area)-I am sick of doing this time consuming job. Any ideas?? :mad::mad:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow, something is not right I've done this a hundred times and never had oil gushing out anywhere. Here are a few questions for you. Is the gasket rolled over in that spot, or did it fall inside the cover? You have to be positive that it is in the groove of the cover.
If it is and it is still leaking all I can say (with out seeing it) is that you should try a new gasket. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Seems you have the right idea already, with the dambs of superglue to hold it in place and silicone in moderation around the half moons.

My 1050s came from the factory with silicone all the way on the ends (the edges with the half moons) of the cam cover. That is how I have reinstalled and the cover seems to hold OK without any additional trickery.

You did not nick the sealing surface while cleaning or when taking cover off (as in, did not pry with a screwdriver or the like)?

Used a torque wrench on the cover bolts on reassembly?

If all else fails, I'd replace gasket with a fresh new one and remount with minimal amount of sealant massaged on the sealing surface all the way around. This will make next service a real pain in the ass though, so I'd do it as a last resort.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike only has 3K on it and the gasket looks absolutely new. I did torque bolds evenly and very little at a time using a diagonal pattern. Is there an exact recommended torque sequence pattern? I have a shop manual on CD and it does not appear to have one...I suppose at this point I would be better off doing the job AGAIN with a new gasket.

·
Banned
557 Posts
New gasket. It may "LOOK" absolutely new, but itmay have been already compressed to a point it isn't doing it's job anymore. You may even out a thin bead of liquid gasket underneath the gasket it to sort of raise it a bit so when the cover goes back on there's a subtly thicker gasket that gets squeezed in between/tighter seal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts