Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my friend and I replaced my cam cover gasket after checking the valve clearances and timing chain. We used a new gasket, bolts and washers but no RTV since I was in a rush to get to Tallahassee :rolleyes:

First problem was my friend used too much water in the overflow reservoir and it ended up boiling out while riding down the highway. Couldn't do anything about it at the time (middle of I-10) and 8 at night. After arriving I checked the level and there was a tiny bit left in the reservoir and enough in the radiator. So before I left to head home 170 miles I refilled the overflow and radiator to their proper levels and took off.

Halfway back I noticed my boot toe was covered in oil, that was coming from the left side of the motor, there was none on my right boot. When I stopped I checked the oil level and it was fine and oil was only coming out of the left side of the motor from what I believe is the cam cover.

I limp it home and figure I just need to tighten the bolts a little more (no clue what the torque specs are even though I have a torque wrench :( ) I go in a criss cross pattern, first one is fine so I move to the next, it just spins in place when I tighten it a bit so I back it out and look at the threads. Lo and behold I am looking at the threads from the head :brick: So I have two holes stripped out, both on the Left side of the head, the 4 other bolts are fine. My friend is coming over tomorrow to tell me whether or no he thinks we can Heli Coil it.

Two things I should of asked prior: 1. Whats the torque specs for cam cover? 2. Which way does the copper part of the washer face? Down towards the motor or facing away from it?

Any help you guys can offer I'll greatly appreciate. :arghh:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Torque for cam cover to cylinder head bolts is 10Nm. The seals have the steel ring side facing upwards (presumably that's copper downwards).

You did apply sealant to the D sections and didn't overfill the oil (bike upright, screw the dipstick in)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't put any sealant around the cover anywhere unfortunately, and the oil level is perfect on the dip stick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna throw 2 heli coils in place next week after the holidays, hopefully that will fix it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts