Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Tiger 800xrx,

I removed the cam tensioner to make room for something I was doing. Probably shouldn’t have done so without reviewing first.

According to my manual and before re-installing, I needed to drain the tensioner oil, depress the plunger and lock it in with the snap ring, re-insert, then tighten it up.

To release the tensioner I’m supposed to rotate the crank a quarter turn ccw. I never turned the motor over after tensioner removal.

Do you think I need to check all of the timing marks? I’ll have to remove cam/crank covers to accomplish this.

Thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Normally you would have the crank cover off and something wedged against the tensioner blade to keep the chain tension when you turn it over until the cam chain tensioner pops out, if you reset the tensioner and put it back in and then turn the engine over with minimal tension on the chain there's a very remote chance it could jump a tooth. Personally I would take the side cover off at least and wedge the chain tight before refitting, won't you have to take it off to crank the engine over anyway?
If you're anywhere near a service interval you could take the cam cover off to double check the timing and check the valve clearances at the same time.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, at the least I have to remove right side crank cover. I’ll remove tensioner and try your suggestion and then reinstall it.

If for some reason the cam timing changes, how would I know? Is there any chance of doing greater harm?

Thanks CafRacer!

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you've reset the tensioner and reinstalled it but haven't cranked the engine over yet you shouldn't need to remove the tensioner again, just push on the tensioner blade with your hand to keep the chain tight before you crank the engine, when the tensioner pops out you'll feel it holding the tensioner blade and you can release your hand.
To make sure the timing is still correct you would have to remove the cam cover and check the two timing marks are aligned on the cams at the same time the crank is at the timing mark.
This is the video I followed on my Daytona which is basically the same process, skip to 13 minutes 30 seconds when he installs the tensioner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts