Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was written on my last bill from the dealers. Had a new cam chain tensioner about a year ago [approx 12k miles]. Anyone else had issues with their cam chain, and does it need to be a dealer thing to have it seen to?
I know nothing....

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E 500
2,047 Posts
This was written on my last bill from the dealers. Had a new cam chain tensioner about a year ago [approx 12k miles]. Anyone else had issues with their cam chain, and does it need to be a dealer thing to have it seen to?
I know nothing....
If you really "know nothing" then everthing is a dealer thing. Removing the cam chain to measure wear can be done with the engine in the frame and should not be a big deal for a competent home mechanic. Definitely not a good point to start learning though.

What is the mileage of your bike? I don't hear too many reports of worn cam chains on these bikes. A faulty tensioner could accelerate wear but if it was that bad I'm surprised your valves didn't get into a wrestling match.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Get it checked!!!!! Do Not ride with it like that!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you really "know nothing" then everthing is a dealer thing. Removing the cam chain to measure wear can be done with the engine in the frame and should not be a big deal for a competent home mechanic. Definitely not a good point to start learning though.

What is the mileage of your bike? I don't hear too many reports of worn cam chains on these bikes. A faulty tensioner could accelerate wear but if it was that bad I'm surprised your valves didn't get into a wrestling match.
Champ. Mileage is 32.5k, and the bike is 3 years old.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Thats not ( typically) a lot for a camchain??

Do you ride the Bike 'up n down' the gearbox, like a racer??
if not, then I should HOPE a camchain/tensioner would last upto 45/50K, though It might be wise to replace it then, as a precaution
FWIW I've 'had' 90K out of both an XJ750/650 camchain (and tensioner) and my Geep9 went to about 65K, before I replaced it....

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Correct me mate, but you've done more miles than some, on your old 955i, right, how many, and any camchain issues Dave????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts