Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about being "hoisted by one's own pitard".
There is a reasonable chance that I may be moving to Texas this spring or summer. Oldsters may recall some good spirited snipes I have foisted upon the Lone Star State in the past.
I recant!
My question: will my Minnesota motorcycle license/endorsement transfer to Texas, or will I need to either re-take the MSF class or take the Texas written and road tests?
Thanks, pardners!

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
TBA stay clear of the snakes, fire ants and stink bugs. :D They will accept your current license. I have attached a site that confirms this and lists their state regs as well. Good luck Lee

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=TX

Talk about being "hoisted by one's own pitard". I
There is a reasonable chance that I may be moving to Texas this spring or summer. Oldsters may recall some good spirited snipes I have foisted upon the Lone Star State in the past.
I recant!
My question: will my Minnesota motorcycle license/endorsement transfer to Texas, or will I need to either re-take the MSF class or take the Texas written and road tests?
Thanks, pardners!

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
TBA don't tell anyone but I was a transplanted Texan for four months. I found out the hard way what fire ants and stink bugs are capable of. :D

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Lee.
I'm not sure what kind of trade off there is between mosquitos and fire ants. But I'll get to ride more, play more golf, shovel less snow and put my Sorel's in mothballs!

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
HI TBA,
well I hope all goes well for your move.

I am curious please indulge an ignorant colonial................what is a Sorel?

cheers,
DaveM:cool:
Dave I believe the inference was to a maker of snow boots.

:D

you could use them in the sand..or

·
Registered
704 Posts
tba welcome to God's country! Some like to think the opposite in the Summers though! Where are you relocating to? Austin, San Antonio is some of the best riding in the country just about year around. Heck I'm year around up here in Allen, just north of Dallas.
It's close to 80 here today and sunny with a nice breeze. LOTS of bikes out today.

Anyway, the link below is directly to the exact info you need for transferring your license. You won't need to do the MSF again unless you just want to.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/movingtotexas.htm

Block

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Block.

If I move it will be to San Antonio, where my lady friend has applied for a wonderful new job. An added "feature" of the move is that her mother lives close by, in Bandera. :eek:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
TBA--
Congrats on your elevation! You'll find some of the friendliest folks ever in the Lone Star State. In order to repent of your misguided remarks about those fine folks, make your way to the capitol building in Austin and flashing a "Hookem Horns" with both hands shout, "Here at last, here at last; thank God Almighty I'm here at last!!" All should be forgiven. Next, to celebrate your conversion, git on over to Driftwood just southwest of Austin to the County Line for the absolute BEST Barbeque you'll ever lock your lips around! You'll need to byob since Hayes county is dry.
Enjoy your stay & remember, "Don't mess with Texas!" :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
TBA - Welcome from a transplanted Kansan! Can't beat the weather unless you're in San Diego!

The hill country is a great place to ride - Around Bandera a great ride is what's known as the three sisters - FM335, FM336, FM337. And if you're into trail riding horses/bikes/hiking, the Hill Country State Natural Area just outside of Bandera is worth a visit.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/hill_country/

2bugeyez - I still prefer KC BBQ though TX BBQ is a close second...:D

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Lee wow, what great info, TBA should be set with that very accurate details you've provided :eek:

Still it's not as bad as here. From memory we seem to have 7 of the top 10 most venomous snakes (including a water 1), the blue ring octopus (look that up for a fright) and a couple of spiders that make black widows (red backs here) look like wooses.....

Makes the drop bears in open camp sites, seem totally harmless :D

Good luck with the move TBA.

Russ

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
TBA-There are some decent courses around San Antonio. So it won't be a bad move. You need to get ready for the MM. It's overrun and for some odd reason their hospitality ain't so good. My wife and I lived in Del Rio, TX for about 21 years. I was glad to leave believe me. Traveling across Texas to get to racing venues or for going out of state was a pain in the arse! 10.5 hours+ from Del Rio to Texarkana and about 6 hours more for El Paso. We just got so sick of the Border mentality. Huntings great if you got allot of money. The DPS are another pain in the arse! Don't want to go back neither. Of course you can always take all the back routes to break the monotone of the traveling time. Good trip from San Antonio throught Bandara or Kerrville through Rocksprings down 277 into Del Rio and the big loop. San Antonio to Austin through the hill country is allot better though. San Antonio is a funny town and has some really great spots but I still think is a big hole. I wish you well!

Lee, Rus isn't kidding either! They got some stuff that will kill you in seconds down there. Brown Snakes, Red Backs that make a Tarantula look like a knat, box jelly fish you can't even see, Cassowary birds just plain mean, freaking cone shell that have a neuro toxin that can kill, inland Tiapan the most venomous snake in the world. Russ and what about them "Drop Bears"? ;) And there 's allot more!!! Freakin toad stampedes,;) Reef Stonefish, Tiger Snake, Great White Sharks, Funnel Web Spider, Crocks as big as 20ft, Red Back Spider, crap no wonder everybody lives around the coasts.

Cheers Rus:D
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Lee wow, what great info, TBA should be set with that very accurate details you've provided

Still it's not as bad as here. From memory we seem to have 7 of the top 10 most venomous snakes (including a water 1), the blue ring octopus (look that up for a fright) and a couple of spiders that make black widows (red backs here) look like wooses.....

Makes the drop bears in open camp sites, seem totally harmless :D

Good luck with the move TBA.

Russ
I believe I covered that topic many months back when I was mentioning that paradise was plagued with the poisonous creepy crawleys, crocodiles, big arse sharks and of course as you mentioned the top 7 out of 10 poisonous snakes......I hate screaming like a little girl so I guess I will not be visiting any time soon.:D Unless I can bring one or two things to clear them out....

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Okay true story in 1975 I was just out of highschool and I just finished the USAF Law Enforcement Academy. I had to go to Fort Bolis in Texas for the USAF Air Base Ground Defense Course. Basically training on defending the base...training day and night.

So being a Jersey boy I did not think much of the red ants as I did army crawl through the grass. Red ants no big whoop....we have ants in NJ so when I felt the first bite..sting..burn yeah burn followed by several more I looked real brave dropping my M16 followed by slapping and hitting my clothes to stop the little buggers. I had welts all over my body for weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Skull-

Pardon my naivete, but I am at sea regarding your references to "MM", and "border mentality." And your reference to "courses": golf related? I have done some research on that, (big surprise!), and have found a couple of options; Oak Hills seemingly the closest to what I prefer.
I'll reinvoke my past award as "Liberal of the Year" bestowed upon me by the infamous Boozefighter, and confess that my lady friend and I would be desirous in finding a (relatively) "blue" neighborhood amidst the sea of "red" that seems to define much of Texas. I'm willing to buy a pickup, but not one with a gun rack. My big concerns are being able to access Golden Gopher Hockey on satellite, find a local purveyour of Famous Grouse, and have a variety of slow riding, interesting routes to tootle along on my 'merica.
All the best.

·
Premium Member
24,235 Posts
Dave I believe the inference was to a maker of snow boots.

you could use them in the sand..or
Hey thanks Lee,
sometimes the language thing looses me.

Now I have another dumb colonial question? Why do you call Texas "The lone star" state?
Sorry if it is a really silly question but weall don't know allya all 'murican stuff like use guys do!:D

DaveM

1 - 20 of 53 Posts