Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there wear a modular helmet? The wife and I are thinking about getting a pair of HJCs or something similar (Bell has a cool looking modular called the Revolver that would match my bike's paint scheme nicely).

Does the flip-up face make for a helmet that is louder than a regular full face one?

What do you think of your modular helmet?

Would you recommend it to others?

Thanks!
SR

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnevile SE
4,869 Posts
I have the Scorpion exo 900 modular. It's a good modular. My wife has the HJC and loves it. I wear glasses so it's a problem either with full face or modular. I was never able to get the modular on with glasses.

Yes. The scorpion modular is noisier and a bit heavy. But the cool thing is the inside flip down sunvisor though I wish it were a bit darker.

I always wear earplugs too.

I did buy the new Shoei Qwest. It has notches for glasses. And is super quiet. Full face though.

I tried on the Shuberth flip up and man was that thing comfortable. Light felt fantastic. And has a inside flip down sun visor. But it's a bit too pricey for me. If I had 700 clams I'd buy it. But I want new pipes instead.

+1 on the webbike reviews. Very good source that I used before buying both the Scorpion and my new Shoei.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see that WebBikeWorld makes a distinction between modular and flip-up helmets. I didn't realize there was a distinction--I guess flip-ups are what I'm interested in, more than modulars, which can be converted to different forms.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I purchased am HJC IS max last year, hands down the best helmet I've ever had. I rode with an Arai for years never really knowing how ill fitting it was. I have a round to oval shaped head. I really do like the flip up and don't notice anymore noise then with the Arai. I also love the internel visor.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a Nolan N-102. Good helmet but it does have an increase in wind noise over My Shoei full-face. I was always suspicious of the modular helmets. I worried that they would flip open upon crashing but reviews stated this wasnt the case.

I use the modular for My city helment , Its handy to be able to flip it open at the gas station or at stop lights in hot weather but I still prefer the Shoei for the road.

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
I have two Nolan N102s. I like them. I wear earplugs because of the wind noise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nolans

I have two of these helmets...

Nolan N101 (which is now http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n102ncom.htm) -- it does increase road/wind noise but if you wear earplugs, it's no problem at all; heavier than a traditional full face

N43 Trilogy (http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n43trilogyncom.htm) -- this one is a true modular helmet, and has some ups and downs. Up: amazing point of view with the large faceshield, really great. But also way noisier, not the best for long highway trips.

Hope this helps!
Daryl

Does anyone out there wear a modular helmet? The wife and I are thinking about getting a pair of HJCs or something similar (Bell has a cool looking modular called the Revolver that would match my bike's paint scheme nicely).

Does the flip-up face make for a helmet that is louder than a regular full face one?

What do you think of your modular helmet?

Would you recommend it to others?

Thanks!
SR

·
Registered
512 Posts
I wear a Shark Evoline helmet, It is the best helmet I have owned in 35yrs of riding!
here's a video of the Shark

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have the shoei syncrotec which is the older version of the shoei multitec.I like the size of the syncrotec but is nosier than the multitec .

The newer multitec is a little bigger and uses D ring fastners ,I find the fit of both the helmets comfortable with recesses for glasses .
The whisper strip kit was a real pain to fit on the multitec but it does work .

These are a little nosier then a good full face helmet but not by much from my ears .

HTH

cheers Lewi

·
Registered
636 Posts
I purchased a Nolan N-43 Trilogy myself about a month ago. They also call it a 6 in 1 because of the different ways you can outfit it. Alot of the time I leave the chin bar off and just have the helmet and face shield on. To me, it's no noisier than my AFX was so I don't see an increas in the noise level. It is a glass helmet and is a lot lighter than my plastic AFX was and the construction is much, much better. I don't use an intercom or sound system so the cavities that are in the helmet go unused for me. The reason I went this route was primarily because I wear eye glasses and I also had a hard time getting the glasses on and off without puting the helmet on, then the glasses and then taking the glasses off before the helmet. There's no interference either way now. I paid about $254 from Revzilla and got a coupon for $10 which I already have used. I think it's one of the best, if not the best helmet I've owned.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ive got a flipping helmet, i wouldnt have anything else now.It makes reversing off my drive and other similar moves much easier, and the deep visor on my Caberg means the warning lights are more or less always in view.I dont know if its more or less noisier than others though

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I have the Scorpion exo 900 modular. It's a good modular. My wife has the HJC and loves it. I wear glasses so it's a problem either with full face or modular. I was never able to get the modular on with glasses.

Yes. The scorpion modular is noisier and a bit heavy. But the cool thing is the inside flip down sunvisor though I wish it were a bit darker.
I have the EXO-900 as well and bought it because I hate trying to squeeze my head into a full face and because the 900 it very comfortable.

Wind noise is mid level but I wear an ipod with in ear buds so that is a non factor now.

The sun visor sold me on the 900. I like that I can flip up the front to talk or fill the tank or whatever.

Also can take it apart and make it an open face as well. I haven't done that only because I haven"t been bothered to do it yet.

Anti fog works very well. Vents are decent enough as well.

You can also take the helmet insert out and wash it. Cool. It has bluetooth capability as well but I don't need it.

My next helmet will be the same or a Shark.

http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55...elmets&sc_id=88A0E0F49AA24FEABFEE63FF703F041F

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a Scorpion EXO 900...no complaints!!! I also have the Schuberth C3. Very expensive but by far the best helmet I have ever owned. Quieter than the Scorpion and lighter. Both have the built in sunglasses which is a plus.

ratt65

·
Registered
158 Posts
Caberg Hyper X

I have been looking at various open face helemts to replace my 5 year old Bell Mag 8, when I came across the Caberg Hyper X.

Webbikeworld give it a good review

Seriously considering it now,anyone got one?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Schuberth C3

Great helmet. Light, quiet and comfortable. Pinlock main visor, internal sun visor and lots of controllable ventilation. It has channels on each cheek pad for spectacle arms. This also comes at a price but if you use the price, weight, comfort "triangle" and you can only have two, it will always involve compromise.

They also make ladies specific design and you have the option of the pricey integrated blue tooth/comms package.

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnevile SE
4,869 Posts
I have been looking at various open face helemts to replace my 5 year old Bell Mag 8, when I came across the Caberg Hyper X.

Webbikeworld give it a good review

Seriously considering it now,anyone got one?
That's a great looking helmet! I already have two. How many helmets should a Bonnie rider have? :)

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Nolan 102 helmets fit me

I'm now on Nolan #3 and #4. My first N100 finally hit the dumpster after 7 years, the second one is still usable, but grungy. Here's pics of #3 (yellow 102) and #4 (silver 102). Don't think they'd work well for the longer narrower head, but they have the width I need.

Things I like:
- fit and finish good for a relatively inexpensive flip face helmet
- easy to lock chin strap
- one hand lock and unlock for flip face
- chin and top vents can be operated with gloves on
Things I wish were better
- better noise management
- lighter weight (I find 102 heavier than an Arai or Shoei)

I don't know if the 102 is going to be discontinued, but some of the mail order houses and bike shops have some relatively good prices on them. I knew my size, and felt safe in ordering a backup 102 from Motorcycle Superstores for $179.00, including shipping. Colors were limited to three or four neutral colors at MSS

Bob

BTW - though it is of little interest to me, the N102 has a small panel to provide access for communications gear. Can't add to this, since I've not used it.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a great looking helmet! I already have two. How many helmets should a Bonnie rider have? :)
I always have two,

(1) A full face (currently a BMW sport), for longer rides and cold days

(2) An open face (currently the Bell Mag 8) for short commute, local rides and warm days.

However, :eek:, I do have a couple other problem children

(3) An AFX pilot, which I bought last year to replace the Bell, but its awful, flimsy, very noisy and uncomfortable

(4) A Cheapo Lidl open face helmet that cost just €34.99, its actually not bad, has EC cert, is way sturdier than the AFX and came with spare cheek pads and screen (visor), but looks rather ugly, I (stupidly) could not leave it there at the price.

I think the Caberg might be a better investment to replace (2)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll toss my +++'s for the Nolan N102. I really like being able to open it when stopped, whether at a light, corner, or wherever. Mine came with a sun shade visor that is great when I forget my sunglasses, but not too dark if I'm wearing them. Noise is not an issue with earplugs. The strap closes with a latch, like a ski boot, so may be challenging to lock it on a bike (unless it is a Bonnie with no helmet lock). I don't use the communication port.

One negative for me is that the front vents pivot (and not very much) to open. 2 months with my helmet and I tried to open the vents with gloves on (while rolling down the road of course) and managed to pop off the right door. Grrr! Probably should have contacted Nolan for a replacement but didn't.

Final summary: I would get another one.

Alex

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.