Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just got my 07 Speedmaster to the Bay Area. Problem is, it only has 2100 miles on it.

The original state of purchase was Ohio.

Is there a way to tell if it's compliant with the retarded California emissions requirements? I don't want to go to the DMV and then have them tell me it's not. And if it isn't, does anyone know the procedure to make it compliant?

note: I did have the Air Injector removed, and have Staintunes on it. Am I screwed? :mad:

·
Registered
373 Posts
As of now, CA does not have emission tests for motorcycles. You can go to the DMV website, but I am guessing you will be ok.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it doesn't have to have the actual smog tests like a car, but if it's out of state, it has to be a certain age/have certain mileage. I was just at the DMV getting my car done, and figured I'd get the bike done too, and the lady at the counter said since it was out of state, and had less than 7500 miles, that in order for it to be registered here, it has to be inspected by a DMV agent and deemed "california emissions" compliant.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
The 7500 mile rule is for cars.

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or vehicles 1975 and older.
Find someone else to talk to at the DMV.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
As far as whether or not your bike has the EVAP system, is there anything plugged into the vacuum nipples at all? The system uses two of the ports and has a slew of vacuum lines that feed two canisters under the forward part of the swing arm. You can also remove the right side cover and look on the inside for emissions info.

California isn't set up for motorcycle emissions inspection. They do not have a manufacturer data base that tells them what should be on your bike.

At this point, it may be a crap shoot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, looks like it has to meet federal standards/50 State certified:

Although, I've still been told different things by different people at the DMV. One person says it has to meet that requirement, another says it doesn't. What the f*ck.

So, if it does, can someone please tell me where I might be able to find this label on my Speedmaster??

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
So, if it does, can someone please tell me where I might be able to find this label on my Speedmaster??

Thanks.
On my Scrambler, the label is in two locations. The basic federal safety standard sticker (and tire pressure info) is on a sticker next to the fork lock. The emissions information is on the inside of the ride side cover and yes, it talks about California and all that stuff. It specifies what emissions are present as well. There is also a vacuum line diagram there. Without the EVAP system, I don't think you would have a vacuum line diagram, but maybe.

Since CA doesn't test for emissions, I don't see the point, but there you are.

If you took the bike in and it didn't have a sticker (maybe you dropped the bike and had to replace the cover), what would happen?

BTW, the stickers have Triumph part numbers. You could probably order one that says "California" on it.

Have you talked to a dealer about this? They may have an answer for you.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
And yet another thought.

Do you belong to AAA? If so, just take everything to them and they'll take care of it for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On my Scrambler, the label is in two locations. The basic federal safety standard sticker (and tire pressure info) is on a sticker next to the fork lock. The emissions information is on the inside of the ride side cover and yes, it talks about California and all that stuff. It specifies what emissions are present as well. There is also a vacuum line diagram there. Without the EVAP system, I don't think you would have a vacuum line diagram, but maybe.

Since CA doesn't test for emissions, I don't see the point, but there you are.

If you took the bike in and it didn't have a sticker (maybe you dropped the bike and had to replace the cover), what would happen?

BTW, the stickers have Triumph part numbers. You could probably order one that says "California" on it.

Have you talked to a dealer about this? They may have an answer for you.
I did talk to the dealer, and they didn't even know... while it was being inspected by the person at the DMV, on a whim, I pulled off the side cover on the right side [where Speedmaster is printed], and sure as sh*t, there's the sticker. And thankfully, my bike was a 50 state/California edition. :)

They do need to see that sticker no matter what if you're bringing a bike in from out of state, even if it was previously registered somewhere else. It was a pain, but it's all good now.

Thanks for the input, guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
this is a common problem that people run into here in Cali. And not easy to get around. I learned a lot about it when I was looking to get a bike out of state.

The irrational rules are designed to prevent people from purchasing new bikes cheaper outside of California, it's not really an environmental thing since they don't smog bikes here anyway when you register it or anytime after that, when you could have easily taken off the Cali emissions and even put on a very un-environmentally friendly exhaust system. It's all about $$$ and protecting CA businesses.

If the bike has less than 7500 miles on it, it needs to have a Cal Emissions sticker on it. If it does not, it will be very difficult for you to register the bike in Cali. I have seen this become a big problem for people. There are a few options:

Some people that just never register it in Cali. If you know someone in another state you can register it there and go that route, but it is risky because you are required by law to register the bike here within a few weeks I think. Bike could get impounded.

You can do some illegal stuff like run the speedo up or switch it out. But that is . . . illegal. Not recommended.

You can get lucky and have someone at DMV who does not check the Cali Emissions sticker, but that is not likely, plus The VIN of CA bikes is already in the system and they can usually tell right away if it is a 50-state bike. They could red-flag you right away in the system at the DMV which could prevent the bike from ever getting registered at all. then you are stuck with it.

If you have the bike registered in another state in your name, and then MOVE here to Cali, however, I believe you can register it here. This is the only exception. Otherwise the bike needs to have 7500 miles on it.

Really, it's much much easier to buy a 50-state bike in the first place. I looked at some great bikes on ebay but realized it is just not worth the headaches . . .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^nailed it. That should be stickied somewhere. The one thing I'm not 100% on is if the bike is previously registered in another state. The DMV website's wording makes it sound like your exempt, but the inspecting officer was like, "it doesn't matter, it has to have the sticker no matter what". So....

Yeah, something to work out before moving to California. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Definitely double check that, because I do think that moving your OWN regsitered-in-another-state-bike into California because you are becoming a CA resident is the one way to register a 49 state vehicle here...with under 7500 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is a common problem that people run into here in Cali. And not easy to get around. I learned a lot about it when I was looking to get a bike out of state.

The irrational rules are designed to prevent people from purchasing new bikes cheaper outside of California, it's not really an environmental thing since they don't smog bikes here anyway when you register it or anytime after that, when you could have easily taken off the Cali emissions and even put on a very un-environmentally friendly exhaust system. It's all about $$$ and protecting CA businesses.

If the bike has less than 7500 miles on it, it needs to have a Cal Emissions sticker on it. If it does not, it will be very difficult for you to register the bike in Cali. I have seen this become a big problem for people. There are a few options:

Some people that just never register it in Cali. If you know someone in another state you can register it there and go that route, but it is risky because you are required by law to register the bike here within a few weeks I think. Bike could get impounded.

You can do some illegal stuff like run the speedo up or switch it out. But that is . . . illegal. Not recommended.

You can get lucky and have someone at DMV who does not check the Cali Emissions sticker, but that is not likely, plus The VIN of CA bikes is already in the system and they can usually tell right away if it is a 50-state bike. They could red-flag you right away in the system at the DMV which could prevent the bike from ever getting registered at all. then you are stuck with it.

If you have the bike registered in another state in your name, and then MOVE here to Cali, however, I believe you can register it here. This is the only exception. Otherwise the bike needs to have 7500 miles on it.

Really, it's much much easier to buy a 50-state bike in the first place. I looked at some great bikes on ebay but realized it is just not worth the headaches . . .
I live in CA. I recently bought an '07 BMW from out of state with less than 7500 miles and the top half of the emissions sticker was missing. ALL BMWs like mine are CA compliant but without the sticker, I can't get it registered. I found a dealer who was willing to try to get one from Germany and have been waiting 3 weeks so far. If it falls through, I'll have to part it out, I guess. A real nightmare....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just registered a Bonnie from Nevada in California

I bought a Bonneville in Nevada that had 12k miles on it. Registration was simple- go to AAA. It took me about 45 minutes to get it registered and plated in California. As long as the bike has 7500 miles on it (or more, obviously) it does not matter what type of emissions stuff is on it. At least not in my experience. Here's what I went through:

1. Woman at AAA fills out the registration worksheet for me- be sure you have your title with VIN number.

2. I write a check for registration fees etc. etc. (BTW: sucks to have to pay tax on a motorcycle that already had been taxed the first time it sold- just my opinion).

3. She walks out to the bike to "inspect it" (this is what's great about AAA - they do it all right there). Inspection consists of verifying that it has at least 7500 miles on it and checking the VIN number in a couple of places (sticker on frame and engraved in frame). I think she also checked some number on the engine- can't remember.

4. Walk back in and she gives me a plate and sticker right there.

Thank you come again.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I've recently had to register a Triumph in Cali that I purchased in Texas and I can tell you first hand that this is all true. The DMV made is quite clear that since the bike only had 1800 miles the only way I was going to get it registered is if I found the California sticker (under the side cover, thank God). The only other provision that bernielike didn't mention is they will make an exception if you are military.

In answer to the original question, you can always get the VIN number before you buy an out of state bike and call a Triumph dealer and have them run it. They should be able to tell you a lot about the bike, including if it's 50 state compliant.

Incidentally, the triumph dealer I checked the VIN with thought that all the t100's that have been sent to U.S. over the last couple of years have the Cal sticker. I can't confirm if that is true, but it would be interesting to know for sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts