Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a 675cc Street Triple 2008 from a private party l in Texas. I had it shipped to California. I went to the DMV (Thousand Oaks, CA) with the bike (Texas plates) today in order to try to register it, and get CA license plates.
I was temporarily denied California licenses plates on the ground that I could not locate and show the California Emission Sticker to the DMV inspector. :confused:
This is very irritating.
Does anyone know where the CA Emission sticker is located? I do not think that it did fall off, since the bike is practically new (1000 miles)
NOTE: apparently the CA Emission sticker is different from the sticker that describe that the vehicle meets all Federal safety standards (I did locate that one).
What is funny is that the owner manual specifically guarantees that this bike meets the CA emission standards..but without the Ca emission sticker, the DMV will not register the bike.
Thank you for any help.
Luke

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Its under the seat, stuck to the frame on the right side, just forward of the coolant reservoir.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I believe these canisters are only on California models and you will not be able to register the bike in CA because it does not have 7,500 miles on it. If you own a bike, you can bring in it in to Cali with less miles, but you cannot normally buy a bike from out of state and register it here unless it has 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oooppss..there is definitively no such canisters on the bike.That's seems like bad news for me in Ca who bought the bike. I guess it is not a bike for which it will be possible to get a Ca license plate
I guess in such case, my only solution would be to sell it to someone outside of Ca. That's kind of a bummer now..stupid me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
YES....you CAN register it in CA. The "canister" is a evaporative fuel canister required by CA to satisfy their emissions requirement. However the street triple was NOT imported into the states with this canister (so I'm told). It was a CA Triumph dealer "add-on". That means you can take your bike to CA and have them install the same thing on YOUR bike as they did to the others, thus making yours CA compliant as well.
Now...how one state in our UNITED STATES can go their own way and require regulations different than "GOVERNEMENT (that's supposed to mean ALL states) STANDARD" (I thought "standard" meant "standard") regulations is beyond me and irritates me to no end. :mad: As far as I'm concerned, CA should get off their "high horse" and be FORCED to comply with the rest of our UNITED STATES standards. How is it that our US government sets a "standard for ALL states" yet CA can say, "except us"?? :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Better watch out, Ken; you'll have all the rabid states-righters over here from BHO, and what a mess it'll be then! :eek: ;)

The reality is, the Federal emission standards are minimum standards, and states have the right to require tighter emission limits when necessary in order to meet the broader (national) requirements for actual air quality itself. California's population is so dense and its air so subject to stagnation that if it didn't enact tighter standards on vehicles, it could never meet the national air quality limits. (And doesn't, all too often, anyway.)

An additional reality is that the U.S. has now adopted California standards for exhaust gases for motorcycles. The only real difference now is the evaporative emissions.

But this is nothing new. Other states have vehicle emission laws that differ within different parts of the same state! The Atlanta metro area requires testing and compliance that's not necessary in the other half of Georgia. Many states require different fuel formulations at different times of year, in order to comply with the overall goal of clean air under the different climatic conditions that vary seasonally.

[This thread is being closed temporarily. Please vent in BHO or at some political site. Thanks.]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts