Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Calgary riders: Which weekday evening do you want to ride?

• Monday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tuesday

• Wednesday

• Thursday

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Any evening is good for me.

Votes: 11 68.8%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a request to post- thanks Canuck - an ongoing evening ride, and a weekend ride.

My only free evening is Fridays - work:(

But if another night is better I'll back that.

So for evening ride meet at 7pm and head out for a coupla hours?

Also give me feedback on a regular weekend ride.

I think Westhills is a decent enough starting point for rides. Meet at Humpties - or A&W (I think they do a decent egg and bacon classic for about $5) and leave by 9:30. So get there pre 9:00am bang down a coffee and a few calories, get tanked up (gasoline gentlemen:rolleyes:) and leave at 9:30.

If you're in or have other alternatives post 'em here.

Also state your evening of preference.

Also do we need this to be RAT (ie. dealer) sanctioned? I tend to think not. :cool:

Let's get some photos next time!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Haggis,

Thanks for getting this kicked off.

I would be in a for weekly evening ride, I can make most any night. Sure hope lots of others start to jump in also.

As for a dealer sanctioned actual R.A.T. event, I agree we do not need it, but it would be nice if we could get our dealership to notice that their input would be appreciated.

Once we have enough folks on board we could put which night to a vote ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sunday afternoon sounds great as i think the weather turns again on monday.
we just need a meeting place and time, how about signal hill as a meeting place as that seemed to work last time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Three of us went out today Bonnie Black,T-100,and a Thruxton, great weather and good riding.
Just a note for those interested in road reports, highway 1A from Cochrane to Canmore is in good shape, just a few deer by exshaw and two herds of mountain sheep near Grotto pond and the usual sightseeing tourist doing 50 in a 100 zone. We met at westhills humpty at 1300hrs and went out from there.

I thought I saw two yellow t-birds ? going north into Cochrane around 4pm, if you see this try getting together to ride with all of us.

Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, there will also be a next one.
It was a good day lots of bikes out !!!!

So how does Wednesday night sound ?
It would break up the work week.

Does anyone think a road report in the Calgary section would be a good idea ?
We could all post the road conditions of where we have been riding,
favorite roads, best curves and such.
This would help out on finding trouble free riding areas, and more good day's.

So far we have gone south and west anyone have a suggestion for the next destination ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Head East to Acme, toward Carbon, Hiway 575, into Drumheller, Check out the Bleriot Ferry (Dinosaur Trail), Tyrell Museum, 11 bridges to Wayne (beer, burger, pop break), Swinging bridge, Hoo Doos, lots of little twisty roads, rivers. Hit all the hot spots at around 350kms round trip (5 hour ride with stops). Ride can be made bigger or smaller depending on time. Head north on Hiway 56 to 585 East down through Tolman Bridge to Trocho, to Three Hills take the 583 East then south on 806 to end up at Acme, Airdrie for a bigger round trip. Lots of nice back country and good roads
I'll probably be heading that way some time Sunday from Hanna just to get the hell out. Should be hot.
Dinkus

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great route dinkus,

I live in south east Calgary so here’s a route I am thinking this coming Sunday 5/31/09, leave my place 10am (willing to set up a meet for fellow travelers in McKenzie Towne).
22X east through Gleacian, #1 east to 56 north, and then east 564,569 ? (Two maps call it different can you clarify?) To 848 (Dorothy?) then # 10 to Rosedale, depending on wind and etc.. may need fuel in Rosedale then to Drumhellar (will need to fuel at drum 210K +)
fuel quick stretch then south dinosaur trail ( 575 ) to north 837 east on 838 N dinosaur trail back to Drumhellar for lunch approx. 250 Km +/- . Lunch and then # 9 to 840 then south through rosebud on to west 564 to 21 go south on 21 to the #1 and west Calgary. Anyone with me can split to their respective areas in the city or we can stop for a pop before splitting up. Total around 400Km
dinkus,
can you let me know if any of these roads are not in good shape or are possibly dirt? They all look like black top on Google earth.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Canuck, yup looks like a great ride. However, I beleive 564,569 and 848 will all be or end up gravel, and not fun in this area due to oilfield traffic. You're good going North on 56 from Gleichen to Rosedale. Just go straight until you hit a Stop sign at the bottom of a hill. West will go to Rosedale, East will go to the Hoodoos and Dorothy. This is all hiway 10 and 570, they just connect to each other, no turning or screwing around. There isn't (as I recall) any fuel in Rosedale. I would suggest if you want to tour without back tracking to grab fuel at the gas station in Drum. There is a Petro Can (I think) at 842 (goes to Cluny) and hiway 1 (it's on the south side of Hiway 1) If not getting fuel go to Drumheller and then tour as you will. If you're good, head East at the 56, 10 hiway and hit the hoodoos. Follow East Coulee for some river watching then turn around and head toward Drum. Stop at the suspension bridge (just Wast of the rail road track you'll cross over in Rosedale. North Dino Trail has some rough spots but not lots. Some nice stuff there and plenty of history stops. Hope this helps. I'd love to meet up with you for this run but just had a schedule conflict come up, so I'll hit that area on Saturday. Happy riding.

Dinkus

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great and Thanks Dinkus,

I guess going due north on 56 may change my total mileage should be able to get to Drum easily, if no head wind etc....
Thanks for the info on 564/569.
Ya, to bad we cant meet up we will try to another day.
Going to stay with my plan of the circle route on north and south Dino trail, for this ride.
Good riding and keep giving updates of the riding conditions out that way.

Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sunday May31st ride,

All, I am going for a day ride to Drumhellar free to join !!!
I will be leaving the co-op gas station in Copperfield ( 1km north of 22x on 52ndst S.E. ) at 10am.
From there I am going the following route, 22X east to #1 to 56 north into rosedale,drumhellar. South Dino trail north then north dino trail south, Lunch in Drumhellar, #9 back to Calgary.

Hope to see some of you.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 72 Posts