Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I was taken out intentionally by a driver in a Mini Van. The incident began perhaps 15 - 20 minutes before. I was enjoying a drive on some back roads in Hanover MA. I came up to a mini van waited until we got out of a curve then I proceeded to pass him. The a$$ Hole swerves his van at me for no reason. I get pissed off get in front of him, slow him down and get off of my bike to see what his problem is. He backs his vehicle, accelerates past me, I remount and follow. He slams his brakes almost causing me to wipe out. Now I am really pi$$ed off I and all reason evaporated. I signal him to get out of the car etc. I can have a volatile temper especially when accosted. I continue to pursue him for a while ( slow pursuit) he slam his brakes a third time and continues to attempt to allude me. Ultimately, we are on leave the rural back roads and are on a relatively busy road. I maintain my pursuit at a slow pace and reasonable distance. I wanted to try to remember his plates and report him to the police but I am on the bike and obviouly can't use the cell. Suddenly, he slams on his brakes, I hit mine and attempt to swerve to the right ( two lane road) I avoid the initial impact into the rear of his vehicle but as I swerve to the right he swerves his van to the right and I impact the passenger side of the vehicle, Knocks me down. His vehicle continues to rotate as if he had hit his E-Brake to spin the thing. I get up dizzy and slightly disoriented but I try to grab his door and he takes off and leaves the accident scene. A couple people stop shocked, a group of guys in a truck ask if they could help, I ask them to pursue the driver that just took off because in the heat of the moment I could not remember the plate.
Police showed up and pursued the van. The officer finally returned to the accident scene and he was was very aggressive towards me, suggesting that this incident was my fault. That I should not have passed the guy, and that they have the incident recorded. Obviously the drivers girl friend called the cops, I didn't have the luxury to use my cell as I was on the bike. I guarantee you that the two of them did not describe how they slammed on the brakes three times and tried to take me out. Ultimately, none was given a ticket, I have been given the option to file a civil complaint. There was no accident scene investigation or inspection, no measuring of skid marks nothing! It appears that the police thinks no one is at fault because of the road rage issue but this guy totally slammed on his brakes and intentionally wiped me out. I believe he claims that he lost control but we were on a straight road no curves no reason for his slamming on the brakes.

The bike was towed, needless to say it would not start. Damage does not look too bad, brake reservoir on handle bars gone, mirror right side gone, left side LSL slider gone ( it seems that they did help limit the damage) headlights are now cross eyed, large scratch on left side of tank, front blinker both sides gone, scratch to front wheel and front suspension. I am sure some radiator damage.

Lastly, I suffered some abrasions to my left knee, sore right wrist. Nothing major.

Looking for input or experience from community. Should I pursue civil complaint? Will my insurance company help? ( I have full coverage) Clearly, from my perspective this guy tried to hurt me. He was in a car and I was on a bike. :evil :mad:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I would definately follow up with complaints. DO NOT attempt to contact the individual personally. Follow up with the police- don't let your insurance rates go up because somebody wanted to play dirty back to you.

Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Man that really sucks. I have a bad temper too and road rage is one thing I have been trying to work on. Nothing good ever comes out of it, as you unfortunately found out. In the heat of the moment though it is very hard to control, especially when people act the way they did.

I'm not sure of the legality side of this, whether you would win or not. If there were two of them in the mini-van they might be able to tell a different story that makes you out to be the bad guy. On the other hand, you might get a judge who could see through them, it might be worth a shot. I'm thinking Judge Judy :lollol:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and good luck to you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The officer finally returned to the accident scene and he was was very aggressive towards me, suggesting that this incident was my fault.
Not for nothing, but the cop was right. As soon as you passed him and he started playing games, you should have just remembered his tag number, stopped you bike and called the local police.

YOU continued to escalate the situation.

You do realize all of the things that could go terribly wrong when you approach someones car, right?

I am not saying the guy was right, but you were definitely wrong, sorry.

Fix your bike and chalk it up as a lesson.

[ This message was edited by: jh225 on 2006-12-10 17:15 ]

·
Registered
572 Posts
They didn't get a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident? Here in Pa i think that is a felony and has mandatory jail time. Check your laws, I would pursue that. I hate to sound like a jerk but you should have let it go. His fault or not you took a bad and unfortunate situation and made it worse. Road rage in or on any vehicle is wrong regardless who started it and puts people in danger. You probably will really hate me for this but if you couldn't brake fast enough to avoid him you were either way too close to him or do not know how to ride properly. You can stop most bikes in less than half the distance of most cars. I try to live my life to this philosophy- Never let someone else's ignorance become your own.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Assault with a vehicle is a felony charge. So even if you were doing a road rage thing, the driver of the vehicle can be charged with a higher conviction. The AMA has some good information on this kind of subject.

It's good advice is to work on your braking and emergency manuevering skills. But also think about how you would handle this situation differently if it happens next time. Because it will happen again.

I've been in this situation and have reacted with violence, and by letting it go. I've learned that the later is the better. I try not to let something spoil a good day of riding, even idiots in cages. I keep a cell phone, pen, and paper in my tank bag or pocket all the time. Next time pull over, and write stuff down, then call it in right away if you really felt threatened.

But since it did escalate to a point of physical damage to you and the bike, I would press charges, for the principal of the matter. Talk to a lawyer on a free consultation and see what they say. I don't think you'll get damages to your bike paid for, but you will at least make a statement. You'll never win a car/bike battle on the street, but use the legal system and you might.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Finao was just enjoying a nice ride, and passed a can illegally. Big deal. Sure finao was in the wrong for passing a van, but he wasnt putting the van driver in any danger. As soon as that ***** hit his brakes and tried to hurt someone on a bike, he went overboard.

Guys like that guy need a good beating.

I fully endorse pulling these asses out of their cars and kicking their heads in.

Police DO NOTHING about these incidents. NOTHING. Can you tell i have been in a few of these?

You should carry a gun, and if that ***** tries to hit you with the van dismount and shoot a few in his direction. :-D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Both of you were being less than intelligent. Contact your insurance company, fix your bike, and ride on. If you wanna file suit you should be carefull. There's always a counter suit claiming emotional trauma, which would be an excelent defense in this instance.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You said you waited until after a curve to pass him......was it a double yellow?

Regardless, I agree with the smart few on here that you should have just let it go. If the guy wants to be an a$$, then let him be......you are certainly not going to change him.

You've got a busted up bike & body now......for what? Nothing.

If I accidentally push some guys buttons while I am out riding, I'll do an "apology wave" and let him go. You never know if he'll be behind you some day at a red light, or notices your bike/license plate while it's parked somewhere and pushes it over.

I know these are far-fetched thoughts and the chances are slim, but you gotta assume the worst when it comes to your own personal safety.

JOHN

·
Registered
572 Posts
he wasnt putting the van driver in any danger
A driver and a motorcyclist Driving around being pissed and driving recklessly is dangerous for EVERYONE ON THE ROAD!! You are just making an accident inevitable. Weather it is you, the other driver, other cars and bikes on the road and pedestrians, everyone is in danger.

You should carry a gun, and if that ***** tries to hit you with the van dismount and shoot a few in his direction.
This would be great, make sure YOU go to jail! What if he shoots you first? Was it worth dying for? Everyday I ride at least one driver pisses me off and makes me go on a rampage but acting this way makes ALL motorcyclists look bad.

·
Registered
646 Posts
On 2006-12-10 17:56, roadkill wrote:
Finao was just enjoying a nice ride, and passed a can illegally. Big deal. Sure finao was in the wrong for passing a van, but he wasnt putting the van driver in any danger. As soon as that ***** hit his brakes and tried to hurt someone on a bike, he went overboard.

I fully endorse pulling these asses out of their cars and kicking their heads in.

Police DO NOTHING about these incidents. NOTHING. Can you tell i have been in a few of these?

You should carry a gun, and if that ***** tries to hit you with the van dismount and shoot a few in his direction. :-D
AMEN!!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
File a suit or complaint over the leaving the scene of an accident and attempted murder. Um, trying to run someone off the road or run them over with a van is a bit psycho. It won't help that you kept following the guy trying to get him to stop, but if you've got a good lawyer, it is doubtful they're going to say it is legally justified to attempt vehicular manslaughter over following someone and motioning to pull over.

If his girlfriend or wife was in the car all freaked out and they try to claim emotional harm, then good luck to them because HE was driving like a psycho and you can claim HIS driving was scarier than anything you were doing to wave him down.

Eff this guy. Don't pay for your repairs out of your pocket. Make him PAY for it. Letting a ***** like that get away with trying to take you out is just wrong.

Oh, and next time make sure to stay far enough away from the psycho to keep him from being able to hit you or slam on his brakes fast enough to make you wreck.

[ This message was edited by: kuhlka on 2006-12-10 18:35 ]

·
Registered
583 Posts
On 2006-12-10 18:23, rudebwoy85 wrote:
On 2006-12-10 17:56, roadkill wrote:

AMEN!!
+2,
i'm sorry, all of you saying it was his fault,, i don't gun my bike at people who jaywalk, and even if i did that wouldn't justify it. you try and hurt me, i'll follow you till you realize i'll follow you home, then you'll have the thought that assaulting someone on the road is putting your home and family at risk. when i do have to drive cars, i pull over to one side to let bikes through all the time. why does having a small dick and zero understanding that a bike can safely manouver at 2x car speed. just let em go by.

the other thing is when my warranty is out,, the next driver who wants to play games, is paying for a new bike, because i'll get in front and jam on my brakes so hard no car could miss, i'll get a couple day's off work, he'll definetily miss diner, ps,,,,, keep a small digitial or disposable camera around,,,, i could video of our electric company dropping tree limbs on my bike,,, gettin new plastics for it now.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
• A hip young man goes out and buys the best car available: a 1996, Cosmo Quad Turbo RX-7. It is the best and most expensive car in the world, and it runs him 500,000 EURO. He takes it out for a spin and, while doing so, stops for a red light. An old man on a moped (looking about 90 years old) pulls up next to him. The old man looks over the sleek, shiny surface of the car and asks, "What kind of car ya' got there, sonny?"
• The young man replies: "A 1996 Cosmo Quad Turbo RX-7. It cost 500,000 EURO.
• "That's a lot of money" says the old man, shocked. "Why does it cost so much?
• "Because this car can do up to 200 miles an hour!" states the cool dude proudly.
• The moped driver asks, "Can I take a look inside?
• "Sure," replies the owner. So, the old man pokes his head in the window and looks around. Leaning back on his moped, the old man says "That's a pretty nice car, all right!"
Just then, the light changes, so the guy decides to show the old man what his car can do. He floors it, and within 30 seconds the speedometer reads 200 MPH. Suddenly, he notices a dot in his rear view mirror. It seems to be getting closer! He slows down to see what it could be and suddenly, whhhoossh! Something whips by him, going much faster! "What on earth could be going faster than my 7?" the young man asks himself. Then, ahead of him, he sees a dot coming toward him. Whoooooosh! It goes by again, heading the opposite direction! And, it almost looked like the old man on the moped! "Couldn't be," thinks the guy. "How could a moped outrun an RX-7?" Again, he sees a dot in his rear view mirror! Whooooosh Ka-Bbbla...MMM! It plows into the back of his car, demolishing the rear end. The young man jumps out, and Jesus to Betsy, it is the old man!!! Of course, the moped and the old man are hurting for certain. He runs up to the dying old man and says, "You're hurt bad! Is there anything I can do for you?"
• The old man groans and replies "Yes. Unhook my suspenders from your side-view mirror!"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know I should have let this go. I am 44 Years old with two kids and have a lot to lose. I know this!

In retrospect I should have let this guy be an a$$hole. I know he did not know me personally, he was just being a pr ick.

But I lost it! This guy clearly threatened me on multiple occasions and I reacted

Needless to say it would have ended as simply an unpleasant experience if I would let it go but he kept threatening me.

It was one of those situations that just clearly escalated.

This Cager was driving a 4000LB vehicle, my 400 lb bike was no threat.

If he wanted to settle this man to man he could have pulled over and faced his actions, if he wanted to be a tough guy, do it man to man. I am not an imposing guy, I am not a fighter but I have my limits. This guy instigated the incident, his actions were completely intentional.

You all are right. You can be be dead right, fortunately I wasn't. Just sore and a damaged bike.

I am simply incensed that the cops took the position that they apparently did. We are totally exposed and at risk on a bike!

I have to decide if it is worth the money to pursue this legally or not. I can afford it if I have to. People like this should pay for their actions.

Doing things for the "principle of it" can get expensive but the question is what is the right thing to do. Although we are from many different states/countries we need to take a stand and not permit this kind of behavior against us.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how many bikers break the traffic law, lose their mind and their reasoning when some other idiot overreacts (as if we don't overreact when someone else breaks the traffic law), don't just speed away to live another day but start playing cat and mouse with the other idiot, and then when they fall (car vs bike...who do you think is going to win) complain loud and long about how they were victimized. When I'm on my S3 and I pass on the double yellow line or do something else to irritate another driver and they try to retaliate I just speed away and don't look back. I live in the Washington DC metro area where roadrage is all too often deadly. People reach into their gloveboxes and pull out the most interesting weapons.
Like it or not the cards are stacked against bikers. The general public is tired of our loud, obnoxious exhaust systems and what they consider dangerous riding that they think puts everyone at risk. They are not likely to be sympathetic towards us no matter how in the right we are. I can't say it enough...just speed away. You broke the traffic law first and are going to be seen as the aggressor and the instigator. You are not going to make your point with another driver who has lost his mind and his reasoning like you have. Nothing good can come from this confrontation, ever. Just leave and live to ride another day.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Losing your temper never Never NEVER solves a problem like this. It only makes it worse.

Proper course of action here is to fall back, get the license number, and report the guy as a drunk driver, complete with the total honest explanation of what happened. Maybe he's intoxicated and maybe he's not, but his actions are enough for the police to take an interest on that suspicion.

Yes, the possibility of the police actually finding him and doing anything about it are slim.

But right now instead of you being the injured party, both of you are at fault. This makes the cops about 100% less likely to take any interest whatsoever. We've got a couple of cops on this forum. I think they'll tell you the same thing.

I'm sorry, but at this point it seems likely you'll wast a lot of time and energy for little if any result. Let it go.

·
Registered
583 Posts
hey tight,, i know you would never write anything like this but some jerkassdickcock wrote something similar to this to me,,,, i edited it for you and this thread

sometimes trying to make a point with someone in front of everyone else on the site makes people become defensive. Before we talk about "how many bikers break the traffic law, lose their mind and their reasoning when some other idiot overreacts" and " The general public is tired of our loud, obnoxious exhaust systems and what they consider dangerous riding that they think puts everyone at risk." we should talk about what started this whole mess...some dick in a car. passing is certainly not the crime of the century but in this case he got retaliated against. All I'm saying is this, he accepts responsibility for what he did, pointing out someone elses (the drivers)poor decision still doesn't excuse his poor decision (passing), and there are plenty of drivers out there who are just as willing to be as foolish as you are and you take the risk of running into one every time you break the law.
he shoud Just be careful. Where he live more than one biker has run from the drivers for a minor traffic violation only to crash and bust himself up.

wait just so i'm understanding your point from your previous post,, are you the general public, or a "biker" , i mean, i just have so much confusion with this, cause i'm the general public and i'm tired of cars, i'm tired of seeing 1 person, and 9 empty seats, i'm tired of the crackheads that threaten me on my block, i'm tired of being scared to come home past a certain time,,, but i guess they're the general public too, so i should just cower in a hole and be scared of everything, they might get me.ahhhh the boogieman, but wait, the boogy man is the general public too ,,, it's so confusing,

oh and i found a picture of tight navigating traffic on the rat tag board

1 - 20 of 44 Posts