Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having considered getting a deer-alert device I ultimately decided against it because I would never be able to prove that it worked, I would only ever be able to prove that it didn't work - so it's no use then, I'd still need to watch out for deer!

Having thought further and also considered the views expressed on this forum about cagers being distracted by their cellphones or unable to become aware of the presence of bikes without help from loud pipes, bright colours, etc I have decided to apply for a patent for a new device, the cage-alert.

This device will be wired into the bike's power supply and will emit a strong electromagnetic pulse over an area having a radius of, say, 50 yards, thus disrupting cellphone signals, car radios and possibly even vehicle hazard lights, thereby ensuring that all car drivers within range will perk up and pay attention.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
The principle sounds good, but if that happened, every driver's attention would be riveted to their dashboard.

I'd say a cage-alert device should be based on an electron-attracting directional black hole. Something with about a 100 or 200 yard range. That way, as you ride along, every vehicle within that radius will cease to function temporarily. No spark, no RPMs, no motion. You'd ride through a sea of stationary cages, totally unable to harm you.

Now, the directional part would be important; obviously your motorcycle would need to be shielded from the effects of the EADBH. And the EADBH would build up a huge charge in a very short period of time in heavy traffic; we'll have to think of a way to safely rid the system of all those electrons without blowing any circuits. Maybe a trailing grounding strap. Or maybe save the charge for dogs that rush the bike. ZAP! Yelp yelp yelp yelp... :D

·
Registered
978 Posts
article said:
Each year, 300 people die in 1.5 million car-deer collisions
1.5 million car-deer collisions? Every year?!!? Are these guys serious? Are there that many deers in the wild? Do they actually want us to believe that 1500000 deer-car collisions occur every year? How many questions can I make on a post? Is there a limit? If so, what is the limit? Who am I?

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Those numbers sounded high to me too, but after a little Googling, they don't seem to be unrealistic. Here's one article.

Oh, and you've used up your question quotient for November. Good thing it's almost December! :p

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Is there a limit? If so, what is the limit? Who am I?
1) If there is a limit you most certainly would have exceeded it by now
2) If you have to ask us that of us we certainly can't help you
except in the virtual sense and
3) When you ...... sorry I have received a warning pop up stating "I have exceeded my advice giving limit for the calandar month" so I can't give you number 3 ... yet.

Saph, my early warning device for cagers is my boot in their door. :)

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Those numbers sounded high to me too, but after a little Googling, they don't seem to be unrealistic.............

It does say animal crashes, maybe they're getting confused with deer and dear, or maybe they are counting animals in cages ?

State Farm, the nation's largest auto insurer, estimates that there were more than 1.2 million claims for damage in crashes with animals during the last half of 2007 and the first half of 2008. The company says animal strike claims have increased 14.9 percent over the past 5 years.

So it's believable with road-kill, I've had a possum damage my saloon car, it stood up right in front of me and I had no-where to go. Last Tuesday night one did the same to my 4WD, this time it was 4WD 1, possum zero.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have hit ( in a car that is) several rabbits, took one to Dad he cut it up asked me how fast was i going when i hit it and then fed it to the dog. A few squirrels, a pheasant and 2 Deer. One nearly wrote off the car the other put a couple dents in the left rear quarter panel and door. I think the Deer strikes only add up in the count. I've already had a near miss this year.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
as crazy as that idea is, and it is, there is actually something very simular to that already.

It is a immobilizer chip that is built into some type of cars. when activated it cut the cars electrics.

There was talk some time back of making them manditory for all new cars in the EU.
I don't think the idea got very far though.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It is illegal in the U.S. to block cell phone signals. This is an issue for buildings such as theaters and churches and some do illegally block cell phones.

I am sure the government blocks them for security in certain areas, but for the rest of us thats illegal.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Saph, my early warning device for cagers is my boot in their door. :)
And low and behold, quite a few of 'them' need it:rolleyes:

Car drivers who aren't motor bikers, are dangerous weapons and need big flags on the roofs of their cages, a bit like dodgem ariels at the fair ground:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts