Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all you ever do is race from one cafe to the next, or if your other bike is a Multi, GS, GT, this is not the thread for you.

However if you're struggling through life with only one motorcycle that happens to be a Thruxton, and you think you might like to get away for a week or so and you're wondering where you're going to put all your gear, here's my solution: Wolfman Beta Plus Rear. What I like about this bag is it's well made (in the USA), it's two minutes on or off, there's 5 point strapping that makes it rock solid on the bike, nothing rubs paint or shocks, and it came to $288 Canadian dollars all in shipped to my door. Gosh, I sure hope it doesn't make my ass look fat.

For those who refuse to accept the notion you can't tour on a cafe racer and have come up with ways and means - bags, saddlebags, what have you...please post pics of various adaptations to inspire or horrify others.

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
She was a big boned gal
From southern alberta
You just couldn't call her small
And you can bet every saturday night
She'd be heading for the legion hall
Put her blue dress on
And she'd curl her hair
Oh she's been waiting all week
And with a bounce in her step
And a wiggle in her walk
She'd be swinging down the street
You could tell she was ready
By the look in her eye
As she slipped in through the crowd
She walked with grace
As she entered the place
Ya, the big boned gal was proud

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's a lotta stuff you got packed up."

Where you going? :grin2:[/QUOTE][/B]

You're looking at a whole lotta bubble wrap crammed into a new bag. Beta testing.

Glen, where we going? I want you to post a pic of yours with your Triumph saddle bags that hold the equivalent of two women's purses and require unpleasant bending to load. And I want Wachuko to post a pic of his SW Motech's. Let's get this party started.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here they are, all 30 litres . The green dry bag shown on the Norton adds 10 litres for 40 litres total. Its OK actually.

The capacity limit does keep you from carrying extra pillows and such, however the switch from regular underwear to thong type went better than expected.

Lotsa room in that setup of yours Steve.
How many litres?

Glen

Attachments

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Wolfman Beta Plus is listed at 45 L. Looking at your Triumph saddle bags compared to the Wolfman Beta, both setups appear equally wide.

I went with a tail bag rather than saddle bags for a number of reasons: 1) Lower cost. 2) I don't want to have brackets or saddle bags permanently installed and I'm concerned the inconspicuous plastic bracket where the metal arm inserts on the SW Motech saddle bag setup might eventually crack. 3) I have run saddle bags in the past on other bikes and I've found it's easier to pack one large bag than two small ones (duh!) 4) I can pile and strap additional items on top such as a jacket, camping equipment :eek: or case of beer and make the whole thing look like even more of a clown show than it already does.

·
Registered
980 Posts
45 litres will work great.
I did a week with my 40 litre setup and it was fine.
The pros for the Triumph nylon bags as I see it are

- keeps weight down low

- very quick on/off, just a few seconds

- low cost. Around $260 CDN complete in 2016, although that seems to have gone up a little now.

- doesn't encroach on the stock solo seat, which is comfy even on very long rides.

- Panniers hold their shape. My soft Cortechs do not.

- Stays planted on the bike at all speeds/ lean angles.

-Looks in keeping with the bike design such that I don't mind leaving the bracket or full setup on for local use. It increases the general usefulness of the bike if it can carry things. I have a couple of bikes with no facility to pack anything and they are kind of useless for much other than very short joy rides.

- brackets bolt right onto my Nortons in minutes.

Cons-
Too small at times,( at 30 litres) although that really isn't a problem anymorewith the ten litres of dry bag added.

Unfortunately I won't be touring for awhile, I'm stuck down here in Maui, the land of rental Harleys. The time will pass tho.:)

Glen

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
However if you're struggling through life with only one motorcycle that happens to be a Thruxton, and you think you might like to get away for a week or so and you're wondering where you're going to put all your gear, here's my solution: Wolfman Beta Plus Rear.
I like the easy on/off.

Do you think I could put this over the seat cowl? Or is most of the weight bearing down on the seat?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I like the easy on/off.

Do you think I could put this over the seat cowl? Or is most of the weight bearing down on the seat?
I'll play around and see how it works with the cowl and stock seat and report back. You'd risk scratching the paint over time, but if you're talking about removing the cowl and draping the bag over the stock seat, that "should" be possible. The advantage of the dual comfort saddle is it has a flatter pillion platform that matches the contour of this bag perfectly, because yes, the whole idea is the weight bears down on the seat so you can pack accordingly with heaviest items inwards. I've packed similar sized bags and thought, oh man that weighs a ton and it turns out to weigh 30 or 40 lbs and you don't even notice it when you're rolling. Plus I like having the lumbar support on long rides.

I should add that in order to get 5 point attachment, I used the loops that come with the dual comfort saddle for the mid attachment points and then replaced my license plate bolts with these eye bolts pictured below for the rear attachment. I think a bag like this would be easier with a fender. These NRC FEK's have flimsy aluminum license mounts that might be okay as is but that I'll probably beef up with some added bracing.

Glen, I think you won the debate, and I don't feel sorry for you being in Maui. This year let's not do 800 miles in a day and a half.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think I could put this over the seat cowl?
I tried it and it with the cowl and stock saddle and it doesn't work worth sheeyit, slides all over. Better get saddlebags if you don't have the dual comfort saddle.

·
Registered
576 Posts
...However if you're struggling through life with only one motorcycle that happens to be a Thruxton, and you think you might like to get away for a week or so and you're wondering where you're going to put all your gear, here's my solution: Wolfman Beta Plus Rear...
I'm with you brother although your setup is perhaps the most... the fattest one I've seen yet! :jawdrop
...For those who refuse to accept the notion you can't tour on a cafe racer and have come up with ways and means - bags, saddlebags, what have you...please post pics of various adaptations to inspire or horrify others.
I'll be posting my saddlebag setup (from Malle London) as soon as Triumph wakes up and sends me their rails (the ones with a lateral fit that actually work well with the TTR).
She was a big boned gal ...
k.d. lang & The Reclines :rofl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts