1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Parts book calls for;

97-2270 / H2270
Cable retainer

Anyone have a picture of how and where it mounts? It looks like it just press fits into something or maybe a screw goes in the back but I don't see any hole on Doris's port side forks for it to press or screw into.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
It goes into an "L" bracket that bolts to the lower tree pinch bolt.

It goes into part #46 on page #46 of the 1970 parts manual.
Uses a star washer to hold it on the back side.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Sir!

It's the same number on my parts manual but the "46" looked like a "45" which is a bolt. :nerd: (That was WITH my glasses on!)

So since it's a star washer the retainer can swivel a bit when the forks move?

The Bonneville Shop wants more for the white one because it's for a 1969. Aint that a pisser? Anything 1969 costs more! :frown2:

I like the black better because it's easy to change cables, it won't stand out AND it's cheaper! WIN WIN WIN! :grin2:

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I thought they were the same part only different colors, how is the black one easier to change cables? The white one pictured looks split in the middle, is it not?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have one so I don't know for certain but it looks to me like it is solid and not split.

ETA

It is solid. Here's another picture.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know about those, but I found with boats and zip ties, the sun and elements seems to effect the white zip ties more than the black. The white seem to get brittle quicker. I am thinking they maybe be the same type of material as your cable holder.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are also used to retain the front brake cable to the front mudguard. They fit into a hole a few inches back from the fork leg on the right hand side.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/97-2270-B...017217?hash=item3aacc9eb01:g:~QUAAOSwPcVVoOxB

Doris has many holes but that is a hole she lacks.

That may be a later addition.

I HAVE seen the brake cable zip tied to the fork leg before. Never seen the need for that but this little gizmo neatly tucked behind the fork cover is a pretty neat bit of kit.

I might as well get one ordered while I'm hemorrhaging money on the old girl! :wink2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts