Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

my sprint exec is a ca model. I see by the book that because of ca emission requirements the hp is well reduced, to 79!

are there any quick, easy, INEXPENSIVE mods to move the hp up a bit?

thanks
lee

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Umm, no?

Seriously, the Californication process on these bikes involved the airbox, carbs, ECU, and cams. It would cost somewhere around Blue Book to replace those parts with new.

Maybe somebody else has an alternative?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Air screws to ~2.5 turns out may help a little across the range, not a bad idea at all.

Not sure it'll do anything to up the horses, though; the Cali Sprint motor is basically a Tiger mill.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
46 Posts
There's some good advice in the Old Hinkley FAQ, stickey at the top of the T3 forum page, sorry I'm not carburettor literate yet so I cant give a run-down, I'm one of the injector generation, but been trying to decide between a set of FCR's or continuing tinkering with the Mikuni carbs on my own speed triple rebuild, and found that to be a great resource. There is mention in there of Californian setups.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Umm, no?

Seriously, the Californication process on these bikes involved the airbox, carbs, ECU, and cams. It would cost somewhere around Blue Book to replace those parts with new.

Maybe somebody else has an alternative?

Cheers,
-Kit
I suppose it depends how you chose to go about moving it to a non CA. Kit's got it surrounded.

Most of this stuff can be sourced from breakers or fleabay. You could probably find and airbox for <$100, I think the carbs changes are just jets (Keinins to 120-115-120, maybe pilots), might get lucky and find an igniter < $200, and there were a set of cams up recently for $100-$200. I think that is all and if you're doing the work you might get it all well under $500 if you take your time. Not sure how the butt feel difference would really be.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
i think an extra 20 horses will feel damned great!
This is what I wonder. The Tiger engine is supposed to be have more torque down where we spend 99% of our time riding (i.e. less than peak RPM). I am wondering if for all practical purposes (once jetted off extra lean CA spec) if it would truly be that apparent unless he's on a track all day.

Maybe I wonder too much?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Anybody got dyno charts showing Tiger vs Sprint? Those might show whether the gains would be worthwhile.

Mean time, maybe going up one size on the jets would make a difference if Cali really is extra lean? CRC has jets for $3.25 each, so that certainly qualifies as an inexpensive upgrade....

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
If he's Keihin, I'd be tempted to find or fix the airbox to 49-state (this can't cost much if someone has the details, isn't it just another open snorkel or something like that?), put in the std 120-115-120 jets, std 38 pilots if these are not already in, dial the idle mixtures to 2.5 turns out and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
From the parts diagram, it looks like the only difference in the airbox is that the snorkel is only fitted to one side on CA models.

Or not...

Looking closer, the CA Sprint does, in fact, use a Tiger airbox, so the airbox may need replacement to work with the second snorkel.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
It would be interesting to know for sure even though they appear to have different numbers on the box itself, whether the cap on the 2nd aux air chamber could indeed pop off and fit the 2nd snorkle and insert.

Curious to know what exactly the diff between the Tiger main airbox and the non-tiger airbox is since the same aux chambers appear to be in use on both and the snorkel and insert goes in place of the rubber cap on that.

Airboxes come up on ebay from time to time, but new they're not terribly expensive parts to begin with even at BB prices. Wagging that a full new airbox would still be around $50 worst case from a discount parts dealer like madss with free shipping all in including a fresh filter. Hard to beat that even on fleabay.

That leaves only cams and igniter and I probably wouldn't bother with either unless I found them very cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Looking closer, the CA Sprint does, in fact, use a Tiger airbox, so the airbox may need replacement to work with the second snorkel.
On my T3 Tiger I pulled off the rubber cap and fitted the snorkel etc on the other side - didnt notice any visual difference from my friend's Trophy 4

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Not very observant, are you Mick? The Tiger's airbox has *3* carb connections, where your friend's Trophy 4 has 4.... ;)

Sorry man, couldn't resist. :D

In all seriousness, I noticed that there's a snorkel assembly on eBay right now.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts