Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at moving to CA. I have a few non 50 state legal parts ie air box and aftermarket exhaust AI removed. I believe I'd have to get an emission test there. Would I fail? How do all the modified bikes in CA do it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Per FFVR 29, "If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. ...California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state."

In other words, it is not economically feasible to import a 49-state vehicle with fewer than 7,500 miles into California! Don't bother trying. On the other hand, if it is a 50-state legal motorcycle with the appropriate placards or has more than 7,500 miles, it won't require a smog test, because California does not currently smog test motorcycles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Per FFVR 29, "If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. ...California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state."

In other words, it is not economically feasible to import a 49-state vehicle with fewer than 7,500 miles into California! Don't bother trying. On the other hand, if it is a 50-state legal motorcycle with the appropriate placards or has more than 7,500 miles, it won't require a smog test, because California does not currently smog test motorcycles.

That seems to really make no sense at all so I'm sure it's totally accurate! So if I move to CA from MN, my bike has 7,600 miles on it I don't need a smog test and they will give me a CA plate?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Just hope they are paying you X2 just to break even... ;)

Reactions: J-man and dUb-T120

·
Premium Member
676 Posts

The above only applies to a current CA resident.

This is from the CA DMV website:

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The above only applies to a current CA resident.

This is from the CA DMV website:

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

So "new" meaning under 7,500 miles? If it's already been registered in another state it wouldn't be new, or would it?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
So "new" meaning under 7,500 miles? If it's already been registered in another state it wouldn't be new, or would it?
Could be wrong about this but seem to recall that they want a VIN verification in some cases, meaning that a CHP officer needs to eyeball it. The CHP looks for all the EPA & DOT stickers which have the VIN on them. Ducati boys peel them off and stick them to the underside of the seat. CHP won't look for plumbing but excessive noise might be an issue.

Ask the CA dealer you plan to use for service and see what experiences they've had in the last few years.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I grew up in Calif and simply just hate the way it has evolved or devolved over the decades. I'll stop here as it was once a great state.

·
Registered
52 Posts
OP assumng the bike is currently registered in your name in MN you should be fine as you are a new resident. I want to say you have 30 days to do so. I would recommend going to the DMV and trying to knock out that at the same time as switching your license or anything else you need to do. Wouldnt risk putting it off,

Speaking from experience i bought a 07 675 Daytona from a guy that had been sitting for many years (Military) only had 4k miles but the bike was reg. in Missouri. I didnt think anything of it as i was too blinded by the amazing deal. I soon came to find out that since I WAS ALREADY a CA resident i wouldn't be able to register it unless the bike had 7500+ miles, as CA considers it "new". Its my understanding that this rule is to stop people from going to the next state and buying a non-ca model avoiding extra emissions taxes/fees and bringing it back into CA. I'd often find people selling bikes for very cheap as "track only" because they to fell victim to this.

I registered other out of state bikes in my time there and all the "inspection" includes is someone from the DMV looking over the bike making sure blinkers, lights, horn, ect work. CA doesnt do a SMOG check.

As the saying goes in CA "if there isnt a law against it theres a tax on it"

best of luck with your move

·
Registered
716 Posts
Being a calif resident this is what I know. 1. Go to AAA to do inspection, dmv don’t know what to look for. 2. If it’s registered your name from another state you should be ok. 3. Don’t worry about aftermarket parts they don’t care . Only interested in the sticker under seat on air box or frame with CA compliant or 49 state. I have shipped a few 49 bikes here with 2000 or less miles and haven’t had a hassle. Newer bikes should be 50 state since more states are doing the epa smog stuff.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Being a calif resident this is what I know. 1. Go to AAA to do inspection, dmv don’t know what to look for. 2. If it’s registered your name from another state you should be ok. 3. Don’t worry about aftermarket parts they don’t care . Only interested in the sticker under seat on air box or frame with CA compliant or 49 state. I have shipped a few 49 bikes here with 2000 or less miles and haven’t had a hassle. Newer bikes should be 50 state since more states are doing the epa smog stuff.
Correct. Under seat sticker from EPA is all that is looked at There is No Ca Motorcycle emissions test.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Correct. Under seat sticker from EPA is all that is looked at There is No Ca Motorcycle emissions test.
This is all true. However, the best advice is to recommend that you not move here. This state has become a crap-hole of regulation and taxation to fund the lives of people and projects that do nothing to support the folks that pay for it. I am counting the days until I get to move away from here. No amount of beautiful weather is worth the hassle it has become to live here. That said, if you tilt hard left and enjoy the gov't managing you, then you may fit right in!

From a legal standpoint, you can run a lot of mods on your bike here, but if you run no pipes or have something else that shouts "look at me" to the cops, then you get get stopped and issued a fix-it ticket.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is all true. However, the best advice is to recommend that you not move here. This state has become a crap-hole of regulation and taxation to fund the lives of people and projects that do nothing to support the folks that pay for it. I am counting the days until I get to move away from here. No amount of beautiful weather is worth the hassle it has become to live here. That said, if you tilt hard left and enjoy the gov't managing you, then you may fit right in!

From a legal standpoint, you can run a lot of mods on your bike here, but if you run no pipes or have something else that shouts "look at me" to the cops, then you get get stopped and issued a fix-it ticket.

You’re not the first person I’ve heard this from. But what exactly is it they are taxing and regulating you on that is abnormal compared to any other state. State income tax, sales tax, tabs etc. what else? Those are things all but a few states have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
You’re not the first person I’ve heard this from. But what exactly is it they are taxing and regulating you on that is abnormal compared to any other state. State income tax, sales tax, tabs etc. what else? Those are things all but a few states have.

Well.... to start, I just paid $673 to register my 2014 F-250. I pay an extra fee for "Commercial Vehicles" because it's a truck. Every truck owner pays this whether they use it for commercial purposes or to just haul your plants from Lowes. (for reference, my buddy paid $45 to register his truck for 2 years where he lives).

We pay 13+% tax-rate. Sales tax is about 7.25 to start and goes up depending on the city.

They just instituted a a .12 per gallon gas tax (regular gas) and .36 tax on diesel to pay for "road repairs" that they didn't have money for (because money for roads generated by the above mentioned registration fee gets siphoned off to other projects).

Starting this year everyone will pay a "Transportation Improvement Fee" along with vehicle registration that is between $25 and $175 depending on the value of the vehicle. This again is for "road improvements" that we should have been paying for with our already high registration fees.

We (by "we" I mean other people) believe that people who don't want to work shouldn't have too, so we give them welfare with no strings or term limits. Quick searches will show that California will spend 103 BILLION on welfare this year.

And then there's the housing costs.... a 2 bedroom condo goes for about 3k a month if you want a decent neighborhood. Cheaper if you like sleeping with a gun under your pillow (but don't tell anyone you have a gun because they are evil).

So, today the cheapest gas near me was $3.45 a gallon, but that's for ARCO gas and who knows what's in that. If you leave our gas in your carb too long it will gum up your jets and destroy any rubber seals over time. So there's that.

As for regulation, lets talk about emissions testing for a minute. I get it, the air is cleaner. My 1982 Jeep has to be smogged every two years regardless of how much I drive it. I can't modify the engine or put in a more efficient engine without ridiculous hoop-jumping. There are crate engines that I could run that would burn cleaner but crate engines are a big no-no for engine swaps on anything newer than 1973.

My diesel truck has to be smogged every couple of years. I pay $80 for a guy to see if I've "deleted" anything and then he revs it to check for black smoke. Takes 5 minutes tops... $80 for that?

And then, just as an example... If I want to change my AC unit in my house I have to get a permit. If I want to remodel my kitchen I have to get a permit. If I want to re-pour my driveway I have to get a permit.

When I was a youngster growing up in the mountains of Colorado I read all the magazines that talked about how awesome it was out here and all the opportunities. As an outdoor guy it was inviting to be able to go to the beach and then skiing in the same weekend. Fishing in the ocean and then inland to the lakes and rivers. At first, when I was a young Marine here, it was great. But that was 1990. Things have steadily declined (in my opinion) the longer I've been here. Tons of people, tons of traffic, tons of beige homes. I'm over it!

Luckily, I'v been very fortunate and worked hard and will be retiring in 4 years. I've already bought a retirement house in another state (with better fishing) and can't wait to make the permanent move. Depending where you are going, you may love it here. The weather is great (if not boring), and there are some less crowded areas. But the politics and people have killed it for me.

So, yes, we have the same things as others; taxes, tabs, etc., but we just add zeros to the fees most others pay. I think New York is just as bad, but I've not lived there so can't speak to it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Now it seems like a lot of info to take in and can cause a mini freak out but its not all bad. Tax about 10% max dmv approx. $225 is what I paid on new bike 2 weeks ago. If you cant get your bike to pass for some reason this is what I did for my sprint with only 1800 miles on it. Sounds iffy but I bought an airbox online with calif sticker , removed it , transposed correct year and put it on my air box with shipping tape. Viola. Now I don't condone this but Dmv were being unreasonable. Check your local Triumph dealer. Again not trying to cause any stress. A little ingenuity to keep big brother out of our motorcycle fun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well.... to start, I just paid $673 to register my 2014 F-250. I pay an extra fee for "Commercial Vehicles" because it's a truck. Every truck owner pays this whether they use it for commercial purposes or to just haul your plants from Lowes. (for reference, my buddy paid $45 to register his truck for 2 years where he lives).

We pay 13+% tax-rate. Sales tax is about 7.25 to start and goes up depending on the city.

They just instituted a a .12 per gallon gas tax (regular gas) and .36 tax on diesel to pay for "road repairs" that they didn't have money for (because money for roads generated by the above mentioned registration fee gets siphoned off to other projects).

Starting this year everyone will pay a "Transportation Improvement Fee" along with vehicle registration that is between $25 and $175 depending on the value of the vehicle. This again is for "road improvements" that we should have been paying for with our already high registration fees.

We (by "we" I mean other people) believe that people who don't want to work shouldn't have too, so we give them welfare with no strings or term limits. Quick searches will show that California will spend 103 BILLION on welfare this year.

And then there's the housing costs.... a 2 bedroom condo goes for about 3k a month if you want a decent neighborhood. Cheaper if you like sleeping with a gun under your pillow (but don't tell anyone you have a gun because they are evil).

So, today the cheapest gas near me was $3.45 a gallon, but that's for ARCO gas and who knows what's in that. If you leave our gas in your carb too long it will gum up your jets and destroy any rubber seals over time. So there's that.

As for regulation, lets talk about emissions testing for a minute. I get it, the air is cleaner. My 1982 Jeep has to be smogged every two years regardless of how much I drive it. I can't modify the engine or put in a more efficient engine without ridiculous hoop-jumping. There are crate engines that I could run that would burn cleaner but crate engines are a big no-no for engine swaps on anything newer than 1973.

My diesel truck has to be smogged every couple of years. I pay $80 for a guy to see if I've "deleted" anything and then he revs it to check for black smoke. Takes 5 minutes tops... $80 for that?

And then, just as an example... If I want to change my AC unit in my house I have to get a permit. If I want to remodel my kitchen I have to get a permit. If I want to re-pour my driveway I have to get a permit.

When I was a youngster growing up in the mountains of Colorado I read all the magazines that talked about how awesome it was out here and all the opportunities. As an outdoor guy it was inviting to be able to go to the beach and then skiing in the same weekend. Fishing in the ocean and then inland to the lakes and rivers. At first, when I was a young Marine here, it was great. But that was 1990. Things have steadily declined (in my opinion) the longer I've been here. Tons of people, tons of traffic, tons of beige homes. I'm over it!

Luckily, I'v been very fortunate and worked hard and will be retiring in 4 years. I've already bought a retirement house in another state (with better fishing) and can't wait to make the permanent move. Depending where you are going, you may love it here. The weather is great (if not boring), and there are some less crowded areas. But the politics and people have killed it for me.

So, yes, we have the same things as others; taxes, tabs, etc., but we just add zeros to the fees most others pay. I think New York is just as bad, but I've not lived there so can't speak to it.

Well that’s a lot but some items are totally legitimate ie building permits. That’s normal. I also understand wages are higher in CA so some of this might level out. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, just a different shade of green

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Well that’s a lot but some items are totally legitimate ie building permits. That’s normal. I also understand wages are higher in CA so some of this might level out. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, just a different shade of green

“Building” permits are legitimate (and only $45 where I live). BUTT requiring a permit to change out an HVAC unit? That is absurd. Again, where I live, that is not required.

·
Registered
32 Posts
“Building” permits are legitimate (and only $45 where I live). BUTT requiring a permit to change out an HVAC unit? That is absurd. Again, where I live, that is not required.
Not required for HVAC here if you have the work done quickly on a Sunday..... crap, I've said too much... they're going to come get me now...............

1 - 20 of 45 Posts