Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 years riding my 2 St`s I am on the verge of changing to an S3 1050. I love my sprint dearly and will shed a tear when it goes but my riding patterns have changed, my wife rides her own bike these days and we`ll do maybe 1 long tour a year, so I no longer need a full dress sports tourer. I rarely ride all day in bad weather so I don`t really need a fully faired bike. I`ve had the black 'Triumph Australia' demo S3 for the past couple of days and don`t want to give it back! If anyone wants to buy a 2004 ST only 21,000 km`s, still under factory warranty with over $8000 of extras on it, including full hard luggage and starcom1 intercom system, then please let me know.

:sad:

·
Registered
283 Posts
welshrob

Well well I though I would see the day you would see you seel the 04 ST.

But it good to see you will be still staying in the "triumph faimly"

:chug: Det

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Hey Rob,
well we'll be sorry to see ya go mate, but you won't be far away! :-D

Does this mean you now have to buy an open face helmut, buy new dark Ray Bans and get flies on yer teeth & have stones hit your knees from following too close to Sprints with sticky sports tyres? :-D :-D :-D

You'll have to post some pics of your new beastie when you pick it up mate.

Yeah yeah of course we'll still wave to ya! :hammer: :razz:

Davem :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Like Davie said Rob. Please check in once in awhile and I'll do the same.

Don

·
Registered
283 Posts
On 2006-11-19 06:19, detjan wrote:
welshrob

Well well I though I would never see the day you would see you sell youe Sliver 04 ST.

But it good to see you will be still staying in the "triumph faimly"

:chug: Det

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Well well Rob, interesting change. How about a review of the S3, what you like about what's different to the Sprint etc? I'm interested the effect of the wind at high speed (ie. 120-160kph) on 2hr and more runs. If this is ok for touring then the S3 with its short wheel base and absolute nuts of a motor would also be on my upgrade list. It's a manic weapon!

Good luck, and stay in touch us old slow fuddy duddys on our more sedate steeds :)

Russ

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don`t worry fellas, I`ll still be haunting the sprint forum! Basically, the advantages the S3 has over the ST`s are better suspension and handling, more power, easier to wheely (2nd gear mingers no problem at 80kph) and believe it or not feels more stable at top speed. Yes, even a little guy like me gets hammered by the wind over 160kph but the little screen helps and you just need to get your head down. It`s rare that I ride at those speeds for any sustained length of time as I only get to ride the Oxley once a year or so! The demo bike has 20,000km`s on it and has been thrashed by every man and his dog but I still managed 245kph on it. I think if I`d sat up at that speed I`d have taken off like a kite!

The weather protection is non existent and the luggage carrying capacity isn`t great either. It`s a rucksack job, i think. Don`t get me wrong, the Sprint is an a1 sports tourer, it`s just that I`m not touring so much any more.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Just curious about one aspect. When you DO take your one long tour a year, will your wife be on her bike now or on the back of the S3? My local dealer says he 'Wouldn't subject' a passenger to the new S3! (1050 models)

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Sorry to hear Rob.

Initially I thought like iceman and that it was a hoax but I understand as I too have a lusting over the S3's.

There is one here in Woombi land at the T dealer that I have pawed over. Mmmmm nice..... :-D

You'll have no worries about on selling your ST (I would imagine)...

Keep in touch. :pkit: We'll miss your input.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Rob mate!
lots of luck with the new bike and if it is half as good as the Sprint you will be a happy man. If you do get a open face put 2 union jacks on the side and a sticker on the back that says "Britannia Still Rules The Waves" and ride it like ya stole it. See you in Tassie one day.

TTFN The Tankman
:chug: :chug: :chug: :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rob
what are you doing? posting a topic like that near on gave me a heart attack, I'm reading the title and thinking the worlds gone mad.
Seriously though I'd also like an S3 or a 675 maybe but the wife would spit it if she wasn't on the back so I'll just dream and drool.
Goodluck with the new one.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On 2006-11-19 16:17, Stlakid wrote:
Just curious about one aspect. When you DO take your one long tour a year, will your wife be on her bike now or on the back of the S3? My local dealer says he 'Wouldn't subject' a passenger to the new S3! (1050 models)
He`s quite right! Unfortunately a side effect of my wife learning to ride is she now understands more about motorcycles and how they handle etc. and whilst she used to be happy on the back, oblivious to what was going on, now she refuses to pillion with me at all and thinks I`m a nutcase. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

So she`ll be riding her own bike on any future long tours that we do. We have booked a 10 day touring Holiday in Jan 07, riding round the South Island of New Zealand on 2 hired F650`s. She`s a good enough rider to handle 10 long days in the saddle.

There`s a slim ray of hope on the Horizon, I`m just trying to bend our finances so I can afford to buy the new S3 AND keep the ST.

It`ll mean cancelling our sponsorship of the Ethiopian kid but I know he`ll understand...

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
On 2006-11-20 07:15, welshrob wrote:
It`ll mean cancelling our sponsorship of the Ethiopian kid but I know he`ll understand...
I was talking to your Ethiopian sponsored child this morning and said that he understood but his 6 sisters were a bit p1ssed off.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-20 18:16, steventhechef wrote:
On 2006-11-20 07:15, welshrob wrote:
I was talking to your Ethiopian sponsored this morning and said that he understood but his 6 sisters were a bit p1ssed off.
Hey send him back to his own country if he doesn't like it here :pkit:

Russ :-D

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is definately the best forum, and certainly the one with the most Aussies! I`ve ordered a black S3, I wanted white, but Mrs Welshrob and all my mates said I had to get a black one to be cool. It looks like I`m I`m going to be able to keep the Sprint and poor old Gwomo Bogale and his 6 sisters are going on a crash diet...

C`est la Vie!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote: "Gwomo Bogale"
------------------------------

Gwomo Boagle? I know him! He's not Ethiopian! He's a Welsh boyo from the valleys. :-D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Insanely jealous mutterings have been reported from the wilds of Tasmania

·
Registered
929 Posts
great bike.
it was my dream bike until I realized where I would be riding and discovered the ST.
I rode the st and s3 back to back. loved the s3 too.... just didn't want to have to pull wheelies everywhere I went. LOL

have you tried a 75mph roll on? man what bike does that!

have fun be safe.

enjoy!

:-D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts