Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I haven't been on for a while, I've been just a little too busy of late. Anyway I thought I would share a little info about my 40k servicing I have been working through.

I have discovered that the Pipercross foam type air filters I have been using must be pretty much useless. Great to clean and oil, reusable and were a great price for two so I could rotate them at my leisure but they don't actually seem to work. During the last service I found particles of sand in the inner chamber of my 00 ST airbox. There is also evidence that the dust has been entering the throttle bodies because of the shiny (not kind of dirty) point where the ports diverge to each valve. I don't think it has been a huge amount because a while back I had the oil analysed and the silicates were within spec, but it just doesn't seem to be a good thing.

I figure that at the constant vacuum pressures the airbox runs at the particles must be able to work their way through the fairly flexible foam. I don't think even the best oil is sticky enough to stop the migration. I think the old wisdom that there is no substitute for decent quality paper filters stack up. The thing I hate is that I have to fork out $80 a time from Triumph for a bit of paper and rubber because no one else makes them.:arghh:

Anyone know of any other alternative to stock? (And don't say K&N...)

PS. I ended up going to BMW for the same fuel filter Triumph sell at three time the price. C'mon people we weren't born yesterday $94AUD for a basic fuel filter??? ($28 Knecht-Mahle KL145 from BMW).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Check out DNA Filters.
Similar type as K&N, but lately it seems that their quality is much higher.

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
ExKellick;1226643} Anyone know of any other alternative to stock? (And don't say K&N...) .[/QUOTE said:
Not to change the subject, but you have piqued my interest. What is wrong with K&N? I am asking because I just bought one and have not put it on yet....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not wanting to start WW3 but I came across a series of posts on another blog (can't remember which one but a lot of adventure riders) linking valve seat recession with K&N filters. I suspect I have suffered a little of this on my bike since my last lot valve clearances showed I had lost some of my inlet clearance.

There was also a lot of talk on this blog about some grease that K&N supply for the inside of airboxes to catch dust???:eek: (never mind the stuff that doesn't stick to the walls huh). The solution was to use a Unifilter pre-filter.

Frankly I am not so obsessed by drawing the last ounce of power out of my engine that I need massive airflow, it's just that stock filters are obscenely expensive and make me feel bad about Triumph when I buy them. Take a hint marketing goons. $90aud for something put together by a bunch of underfed and underpaid people we once shot at and bombed in Vietnam is not a great way to make for happy little customers.:Angry_98OLVV: Don't try to tell me its all about affordable parts either....

There, now I feel better.:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
ExKellick: Why would K&N airfilters cause intake valve seat wear? - I notice you don't want to start WW3, and my question is not meant to be aggressive. I have an '00 tone with 46K, and no valve issue. My son has an identical bike with 35K, and 5K ago I had to re-cut seats and replace intake valves. We both run K&N filters, but he likes to run one or two gears lower than me. I think his valves just hit the seats enough times that much sooner. Also notice, there was really nothing wrong with the seats, but the valves were razor sharp at the edge. - I was told by the dealer when buying the replacement valves: 'yeah - that happens to a lot of them' - My personal opinion on that matter is that Triumph just got a batch of inferior in-valves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts