Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Notarized title

I should be picking up a hopefully quick flip bike next week. The bike is in Washington DC which is only 50 miles from me but the title is out of North Carolina. NC still requires the title to be notarized with both the buyer and sellers information. A real PITA to find a notary at 7am on a Sunday morning in the District of Columbia.......Crack not a problem-Notary a real issue.....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
For an update, I spoke with the seller twice, and he sounds like a very nice guy. Original owner, and easy to deal with.
The shipper should be reaching out to him today to schedule the time to get the bike. I would imagine I'll have it a day or two later. Hopefully early next week.
I'll post an update when it arrives, along with pics.
This weekend will be finding room for a 4th bike in the garage. My car may be sitting in the driveway for a week, but I can live with that short term.
I appreciate all the advice. I imagine I'll be reaching out for advice on mods, since I can't leave well enough alone!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I bought my Legend on the internet, but I did go see it before I put out any money. I was going to buy it, and flip it, but once I got it home I liked it too much to sell. I called the dealer that had it in a neighboring state. He assured me it ran and looked as good as it was in pictures. The wife and I threw an overnight bag in the pickup and off we went. 800 mile round trip. Fun weekend trip in a pouring rain. ...J.D.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have bought a number of vehicles out of state and there is no more relevant advice than d**let the buyer beware.**
most of these buys went smoothly but one was, lets say problematic, and the lastest was a disaster. Got home to find it wasn*t just the cold weather that kept it from starting....no compression. The best way to buy, even thru ebay, is to arrange to have someone more local to the bike inspect it. If the seller doesn*t want to do that move on. The second thing you **must** do is research the selling procedures of the selling state, and the registration procedures of your state when registering an out of state vehicle. Does the seller need to have his signature notarized? Any current liens? Any paid off liens, and if so is there a *payoff* letter? Even if there is a payoff letter, is the lien still noted on the title? Your state might require the seller provide a clean title, meaning he must apply for a current title and submit the payoff letter to his state to get a clean title. Don*t forget a bill of sale even when getting a proper title. And don*t forget it is almost impossible to sue interstate. Good luck.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
A real PITA to find a notary at 7am on a Sunday morning in the District of Columbia.......Crack not a problem-Notary a real issue.....
You couldn't find a crack dealer that's also a notary?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We want pics ;) As they say...it didn't happen unless there's pics...
The seller cleaned it up, getting it ready for the shipper. He seems like a real good guy.
It was supposed to ship this weekend, but because of a delay due to crappy weather, it won't ship down until next weekend.
I have three other bikes in the garage, so I won't be suffering too bad. This one is by far one of the most beautiful bikes I've seen!

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
She's a real looker there, Mike!
Just curious: was that one in NJ? There was one just like it on Craigslist last month. Either way, a beauty.

I'm trying to decide if I want to drive 725 miles each way for a '99 TBS. I've talked to the seller a couple times and would be comfortable buying sight unseen from the guy and having it shipped but the seller isn't keen on that idea. I'd haul an empty open trailer there to get it, too. There aren't any Uhaul bike trailers available in his area.
My bike buds think I'm crazy! What we do in the name of bike lust.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
She's a real looker there, Mike!
Just curious: was that one in NJ? There was one just like it on Craigslist last month. Either way, a beauty.

I'm trying to decide if I want to drive 725 miles each way for a '99 TBS. I've talked to the seller a couple times and would be comfortable buying sight unseen from the guy and having it shipped but the seller isn't keen on that idea. I'd haul an empty open trailer there to get it, too. There aren't any Uhaul bike trailers available in his area.
My bike buds think I'm crazy! What we do in the name of bike lust.
It is the same one that was on Craigslist around Christmas. Not sure why it wasn't sold then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Beauty, one more time congratulations Sir. Good luck with finalizing transaction.
Tell me that I’m crazy but mine is from eBay too. 😄 same story - I bought it thanks to my wife 2 years ago 🙂 only difference was that mine was parked 2 miles from me, I was lucky. Funny thing that I never saw it on the area because it was parked on a garage for 11 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have an Orange Original Triumph Seat Cowl, I'll sell for $500 which includes ground shipping.
I appreciate the offer, but I need to get the bike home before I start buying stuff for it. And I like the look of the seat cowls, but I'm an old guy, a little too "cool looking" for me.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Beauty, one more time congratulations Sir. Good luck with finalizing transaction.
Tell me that I’m crazy but mine is from eBay too. 😄 same story - I bought it thanks to my wife 2 years ago 🙂 only difference was that mine was parked 2 miles from me, I was lucky. Funny thing that I never saw it on the area because it was parked on a garage for 11 years.
Beautiful bike, and I wish my garage was as organized looking as yours. How about the bike in the back? I have a Cannondale that needs to get more use, but trying to get my running mileage back to where it belongs first.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
There aren't any Uhaul bike trailers available in his area.
As far as I know, Uhaul won't rent their motorcycle trailer one way, but they do rent a 5' x 9' Utility Trailer with Ramp that has the "chock" for the front wheel. I've used one several times and it works great.

Make sure you request the chock, though, as I think some of the earlier 5x9 trailers didn't have it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
4 of the last 5 bikes that I've bought (since 2014) have come from out of state, but not a dime changed hands until I saw them first.
One of them was so good looking, and weather was about 30* that I decided that a test ride wasn't necessary..... boy was I wrong on that one!
I wound up putting hundreds of dollars into it just to make it safe enough to sell with a conscience.
It even takes a leap of faith to make a 1400 mile round trip based on the seller's word.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mike, something I'd examine pretty closely once home are the front fork seals and the rear shock lower bumper, both for signs of deterioration. It's just age; nothing to get upset about: your bike looks great. If a problem, it can be dealt with.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Very nice!!
Since you are just up the road a ways maybe we can do a meet in the middle ride some time?
Possibly Palatka at Corky Bells? Can't beat the food and the view there and we will definitely make the parking lot a bit more upscale!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just completed the sale of my 1999 TBS from Boise, Idaho to it's new home Houston Texas. I did alot of pictures and did a YouTube video on the bike. My offer for anyone purchasing the bike $250 to anyone traveling 500+ miles to see the bike if the bike and accessories were not as advertised. I also offered $500 off the bike if it needed to be shipped more than 500 miles.

My name and reputation are very important so when you sell a bike it has to be fair and above board. At 65 I am sure I will be selling some of my other bikes in the future and the best reference for my next sale is the last one.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts