Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My 60th birthday is around the corner, and my wife knows that I have a dream bike. She found the exact one that I wanted, and purchased it today from out of state (eBay).
Now we need to have it shipped here, about 900 miles away.
Has anybody bought a bike sight unseen, and had it shipped across country?
I bought my Speedmaster the same way, but it was only a couple of hundred miles away. She drove me to it, and I rode it home. Not possible with this one.
Any advice will be appreciated.
If all goes as planned, I'll have pics to share.
Thanks in advance.

Registered
Do a fly and ride!
I bought my Valkyrie back in December 2012 from a fellow about 70 miles South of Austin. I flew in on a Friday night, he put me up at his house and I swung a leg over it for the first time at 6AM the next morning. Rode it 1100 miles home to Central Florida, all the while trying to outrun a cold front. Got home mid-afternoon on Sunday. By the way.....was also 60 at the time.

Registered
On Wednesday night will be 5 degrees in the area. Next week around 30. Not a good idea to go for motorcycle cross country trip. 馃槈 maybe on a south from NC is better, here it鈥檚 freaking cold, (btw my wife鈥檚 sister lives in Milwaukee, on Wednesday -25 馃槥 ) can you imagine that?

Registered
Have you ever tried Uship? https://www.uship.com/
Be careful with USHIP. You get quotes from various shippers, you choose one and then all of a sudden the truck they had is broke down or the place where your vehicle is at is a little farther out of the way so if you do it for $400 more we will take care of you. This happened when I shipped my 61 chevy truck from Montana.
-Nate

Registered
i've bought two different bikes, sight unseen (except photos/video) and used Uship both time without any issues. One from CT and the other only 200 miles from me (I'm in Clearwater, FL). Just like with any other service, read the reviews/feedback and speak with the shipper before finalizing. I definitely recommend them as I have had two great experiences

Registered
I've also done 2 fly and rides. Haven't used a service to ship, but wouldn't hesitate to...Just do your research on the potential shipper and see what kind of reputation they have.

Registered
UShip.com worked fine for me shipping a bike from Montana to Maryland for $400. Talk with the shipper and form your own judgement. Each job is going to be a little different.

Registered
Congrats on the TBS, mate!
If its the one I'm thinking, it was listed on Craigs a couple months ago. Can't believe it took that long to sell. I was kinda interested too but couldn't quite warm to the color (I have a Kubota farm tractor that it reminded me of...no offense).
You'll have to post a picture, please!:smile2:

Registered
try haulbikes.com
seller drops off bike to his closest Harley dealer and you pick up bike at your closest Harley dealer.
sent my KZ1000 out to my son in Cali a few months ago that way. $700... no problems at all. i'm in Vero Beach Florida

Registered
I too saw this bike and was sorely tempted to bid since it looked so nice in the pics.
But I've never had the nerve though to buy one sight unseen.
Hope it all works out, but it's a bit risky now to "fly & ride".
Temps going frigid tonight. 11* here in VA; I'm sure colder in NJ~!

Super Moderator
If you don't trust uship and it's too cold for a fly and ride you can try the middle path. Fly to the bike, rent a small uhaul or penske truck and load the bike in the back for the drive home.
That there makes all the sense.
Good luck on the new bike.

Registered
I live in Boise and I sold my bike to a member (Spider) on this site, he lives in Houston Texas. I believe he used UShipit, they picked it here on Monday and he got the bike today Wednesday.

Alot of trust between buyer and seller on buying a bike without seeing it.

Registered
I鈥檝e bought two bikes after only seeing pictures. In 2008 I bought a 2001 Aprilia Mille R from a guy in Maine and had it shipped out to me in Seattle. I used JC Motors for shipping (about $600 at the time). Not only were they top, but the bike was immaculate. Just what it was supposed to be or maybe even better.

In 2014 I bought a 2009 BMW from a shop in Rochester, NY and had it shipped out. I鈥檇 only seen pictures; again, the shipping was easy. The bike, which had about 4,000 miles on it, was just stupid flawless. And it was roughly two thirds the price of a new one.

So my experience has been very positive. If JC Motors is still around I鈥檇 use them.

I鈥檝e also flew and rode. I bought my 2005 Tuono from a guy in LA, flew down, bike was perfect, bought it, rode it home. Two thumbs up.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts