Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike noob here, thinking of pulling the trigger on an "executive demo" 2019 Street Triple R with 1300 miles.
Question: Went to see the bike in the showroom, and when I asked them to turn the engine on, they tried to but couldn't because the battery was dead. Is this a massive red flag? The guy told me it was because people in the showroom had turned the key a lot of times to see the digital screen and this caused the battery to die

·
Registered
15 Posts
So the dealer didn't try to switch out the battery or do a quick charge on the spot?

That does seem odd. That wouldn't be a fatal red flag in my mind, but it would make me ask questions. Of course they have to prove it runs before going any further with the sale.

·
Registered
24 Posts
not a great cause for concern if you ask me. Ask them to charge the battery and try again :)

If you have any concerns about the battery itself I guess you could try angling for them to swap it!

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
The reason I suggest a new battery is that as a demo I guarantee the battery has been drained many many times. Every dealer I worked for went through that. Every time the battery gets drained it reduces its capacity and life expectancy. If you’re buying it the the least they could do is give you a new battery n

·
Registered
60 Posts
OP, if it makes you feel any better, I recently purchased a brand new R (non-demo). It too would not start at the dealership. They tried jumping it, and it still wouldn't start. The owner then took executive action and replaced the battery.

These sales representatives probably turn on the info screen multiple times a day for months. It makes sense that the battery isn't solid.

While the dead battery wouldn't concern me, I might be a little concern that it's a demo. I would imagine that the test riders have not been riding within the break-in guidelines. Might be worth the risk, though, depending on the deal.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Proceed with caution. The fact that the battery was dead may also suggest that the beast has been sitting there for a long time. I recently purchased a bike from a "Red" dealer. It was a year-old leftover and it would not start as we rolled it out. They gave me the same old story about "people turning on the key to see the display." Horsehockey!! The poor thing sat there by itself for at least a year so it should have been no surprise that it couldn't be started. They wheeled out the battery charger and pumped it full of electrons. Unfortunately the electrons wouldn't stay where they belonged and I ultimately had to go through all the ritual of getting a battery replaced under warranty. I should have insisted on a new battery before any money changed hands. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
891 Posts
MC batteries are small and unless charged by riding or on a battery monitor go south in a short time. If you’re really interested have them put in a Fresh battery and take it out for a test ride. Hardly a red flag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I am going to ask about a new battery, but I doubt they will give it to me. They seemed very insistent that there was absolutely nothing wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Thank you. I am going to ask about a new battery, but I doubt they will give it to me. They seemed very insistent that there was absolutely nothing wrong.
Hmmph...sounds to me like the red flag may be flying from the dealer, not the bike.

·
Driftless Admin
11,818 Posts
Replacement battery is well under $100, I wouldn't let this detail spoil the deal if everything is looks good.

National Powersports had some executive demo's for the Scrambler 1200's. Low mileage, still under warranty, nice discount. Seemed like a good deal to me. This may be too.

Motorcycle batteries to seem to run down quick, and putting it on a trickle charger overnight fixes them up fine.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Replacement battery is well under $100, I wouldn't let this detail spoil the deal if everything is looks good.

National Powersports had some executive demo's for the Scrambler 1200's. Low mileage, still under warranty, nice discount. Seemed like a good deal to me. This may be too.

Motorcycle batteries to seem to run down quick, and putting it on a trickle charger overnight fixes them up fine.
Replacement batteries are not that expensive, so why wouldn't the dealer just go ahead and change the failing one out? Some batteries cannot be saved by a trickle charger, if they've been discharged too many times. I recently had to get a new battery for my RC390, because the battery would no longer take a charge.

If the dealer is unwilling to swap the battery for a new one, I would be very reluctant to buy it from them, or at the very least I'd be looking for another dealer or independent mechanic to do the work on the bike I can't.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Another vote to insist on a new battery... if they refuse, the only way I'd get that bike would be a fire sale.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is this the American way of doing business, if the battery is no good they should put a new one in.
I just bought a new battery for my 2010 STR it only cost $AUSD55. that's only $37.48 USD.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Is this the American way of doing business, if the battery is no good they should put a new one in.
I just bought a new battery for my 2010 STR it only cost $AUSD55. that's only $37.48 USD.
That's a fair assumption, based on what we see posted. But, I'm sure there are dealers out there who would have slapped a new battery in the bike without a second thought that we never hear of. Except for puppy videos, the internet is a pretty negative space.

Reactions: timorgraphik

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Congratulations. After 6 1/2 years of owning mine, I still love it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Congratulations!

That went as it should have.

I'm curious. Did you test ride before buying? It surprises me when a dealer lets a "bike noob" take out a new motorcycle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts