Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm not straying far and will still poke my nose in this Sprint forum where I have mostly been for.......... well since 03-24-2005.

I'm picking up a nice new Tiger 800 XRT tomorrow arvo and trading in my very faithful 2011 Sprint GT 1050, which was my second Sprint after 75,000kms on back then, new '04 Sprint ST 955i.
Both these were most excellent and also very loved two up and solo transport for fun and trips.
They have both fulfilled their purpose and been the source of a huge amount of fun over a span of 15 years of Sprint ownership.
Including 8 of those years moderating this forum!

I recently realized I needed something a bit lighter, that my wife and I can do trips in comfort and also have some sporty riding fun on. The Tiger 800 XRT with panniers fits the bill for now.

So you may in future also see me waffling in the Tiger forum, likely about some BS I know nothing about..... they just don't know I'm about to land on their forum doorstep :grin2:

So I'm not going far away, just over the page, thanks for such a helpful bunch in this forum, you really are a helpful friendly lot.

You only have to know me for 5 minutes to know I am not the technical guru-type when it comes to motorcycles!

cheers
DaveM:smile2:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm wondering if 800 is enough for two up. The good thing about 800 is that because it's lower than 1000 (1L) the insurance is cheaper.
So any insight as compared to the GT will be appreciated.

Fred

·
Premium Member
24,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering if 800 is enough for two up. The good thing about 800 is that because it's lower than 1000 (1L) the insurance is cheaper.
So any insight as compared to the GT will be appreciated.

Fred
Hi Fred

I did a lengthy two up test ride, the Tiger 800 XRT spins up quickly, redlines at 10,200rpm and also is considerably lower geared with 5 riding modes.

So I am not expecting it to be a problem in the get up and go department.:smile2:

But I'll definitely drop in and give you good folks an update and comparison once I have a few kilometers done.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Have a great time on the new bike Dave. Don't know what I'll replace my GT with. Keep in touch.

Cheers,
Kap.

Reactions: DaveM

·
3,120 Posts
Enjoy the Tiger Dave! I'll likely join the Tiger camp before long as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jwood and DaveM

·
Premium Member
24,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys

picked her up last night and did a short 1 & 1/2 hour ride over the local hills, very light and flickable.

Pushrod my knees are very happy :grin2:

Mmm I did find both peg feelers, I think they might cop a flogging>:)

I'll keep you posted but I like it very much already.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
So you may in future also see me waffling in the Tiger forum, likely about some BS I know nothing about..... they just don't know I'm about to land on their forum doorstep :grin2:
As a member of both this and the Tiger forum, thanks for the warning :wink2: and I'll see you on the other side ...

·
3,120 Posts
I've only sat on one, I didn't want to take a test ride as I know I'd want one really badly so better not to torture myself.
Precisely why I haven't yet. They'd follow me home

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats Dave! That Tiger is a sweet bike. Good friend that rides with me has one. I'm in the process of buying a Suzuki DR650 so I can do some off-road and trail riding. However, I'm keeping my Sprint for road touring. I considered the Tiger as a single bike for all purpose, but I found that it's just less expensive for me to keep my sprint and buy the DR. Anyway, be safe and hope you have a blast!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Congratulations Dave. It's always good fun to get a new bike. You've been a great source of GT information, thanks. Let us know how the Tiger is treating you and most of all, pictures please.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Your wit and commentary will be missed here. Apparently I will have to pay more attention to the Tiger forum. The danger in that is the very real risk of another steed finding its way into the stable. Grrrrrrreat.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
A fresh approach to your riding. Enjoy the new machine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts