Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am toying with the idea of buying an 03 Speed triple. It's totally standard and naked. I prefer having some sort of screen but looking at the price of them makes me realise that the price that I am going to pay for the bike plus the bits that I want immediately - namely the pixie hat fly screen make the deal quite expensive.

My question is, are there any cheaper options? I have looked but can't find anything so I am guessing that I already know the answer but want to run it past you triple owners first anyway.

I have totally gone in circles on this so I hope someone can put me out of my misery!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've just bought an 02 Speed Triple, no flyscreen. My previous bikes have been faired, so I expected I'd need to pick up a screen to reduce buffeting.

But I've been pleasantly surprised. While I certainly experience more pressure from the air than on my previous bikes, I find there's actually less buffeting and turbulence. I probably won't bother buying a flyscreen, even though I think the bike would look better with one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I am toying with the idea of buying an 03 Speed triple. It's totally standard and naked. I prefer having some sort of screen but looking at the price of them makes me realise that the price that I am going to pay for the bike plus the bits that I want immediately - namely the pixie hat fly screen make the deal quite expensive.

My question is, are there any cheaper options? I have looked but can't find anything so I am guessing that I already know the answer but want to run it past you triple owners first anyway.

I have totally gone in circles on this so I hope someone can put me out of my misery!

I sure hope that you buy that 03 S3. I have had mine for a few weeks and absolutely love it. The flyscreen appears to take some of the pressure off of my chest. I had a Honda Hawk GT NT650 that had no flyscreen when I first bought it, so I'm using that as a reference. My head still bobbles a little, but its not that bad.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Love my '03. Bought mine last June, no regrets.
Windowlicker's got it right -- I've done business with both Jack Lilley and Great Bay and they have been spot on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. The links were very useful.

Well, I bought the bike! I am pleased to bits with it. It's everything I hoped for. Grunty as hell, comfortable with handling and braking. Excellent.

I only got it Tuesday and it's rained pretty much every day since then so I have only actually ridden it once.

I have some bits and pieces to tidy up with it before it feels like mine but on the whole I am well pleased.

It didn't some with an owners manual - I don't suppose there is a download anywhere is there?

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should still be able to download the owners manual from the Triumph site.

It took a bit of finding when I looked but it was in there somwhere, mabey somebody else can still locate it, if not have the PDF and can mail it to you if you get stuck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should still be able to download the owners manual from the Triumph site.

It took a bit of finding when I looked but it was in there somwhere, mabey somebody else can still locate it, if not have the PDF and can mail it to you if you get stuck.
Would you mind emailing it? I can't find it on that site!If ever a site was in need of a search function it's that one! my email is j.ezATvirgin.net

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
POST PICS!! POST PICS!!! :elated:

Buy yourself a Haynes manual, you will appreciate the details it gives you for maintenance activities. Only like $30.
Yes, I will get one eventually (I HAVE to leave something for people to buy me for my birthday!)

Thanks to Deny for sending me the PDF of the owners manual.

This is a really nice forum! I get a real feeling of friendliness in here.

·
Registered
601 Posts
just my humble opinion but i've just removed my fly screen and have to say it's improved wind buffeting!!!

i find it far nicer to ride!!!. so before you shell out for a screen it may may not be a massive improvement...but thats just my personal opinion...plus i'm on a s4 which is a bit more crouched down than the s3...dunno if that makes a difference!?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts