Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Socal bike)
Hey guys, I wanted to know what you thought a 2008 Bonneville should cost.
The bike was sold two weeks ago and never left the showroom floor. Now the owner wants to sell it.

My questions
What would you pay for it
How do i go about buying it? (obtaining the title in my name)
Is there anything I should look for?
any other advice you is welcome....

thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmmm

All I can say is, go for it mate! She's a sweet ride.

(change the front sprocket to a 19t.)

:)

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
I'd look to pay somewhat less than the new price for same. You'll have to snoop around to find out what new 2008s go for in your area, but in the current economic climate, they should be less than the manufacturer's suggested price.

Be aware that 2008 is the last year (in the US) for carburetors, and the 2009s have electronic fuel injection, if that means something to you. There's nothing wrong with either, but they're different.

As for titling it, that's a question to direct to your state's Motor Vehicle Administration. I'm sure the web site will cover it in detail. Most likely, the owner will sign the title over to you and give you a receipt, and you will fill out some forms, write a check and send it all to the MVA, and you'll get a new title back. In Maryland, the 6% sales tax has to be paid each time a vehicle is sold, along with some fees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not buying the bike from the dealer. The private seller never took it off the show room floor.

the owner is prepared to take 6k but I don't think its such an amazing deal. (+ Im more of a sport bike person)

Thanks for letting me know about the new fuel injection situation. that is going to have a HUGE influence on me deciding if I purchase it or not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the guy only wants 6K you had better take it. Even in this economy that is a steal for a zero milage bike. It would be difficult to find a real used bike for that price.

A 2009 will cost you $7699 before tax and any other fees. After all is said and done you will be out over 8k out the door. Most dealers will not haggle price on a new 09.

The new Bonneville also has alloy wheels and will feel a little smaller due to the front wheel being 17". The exhaust is a megaphone style, the engine blacked out, the master cylinder is the piss cup style, shorten front and rear fender, the handlebar bracket doesn't have the Triumph emblem. There are likely other small differences.

It does have fuel injection which is nice but I don't see it being worth the extra money.

The 2008 Bonneville has a more classic style. The 2009 Bonneville is nice as well so I guess it comes down to preference and if cost is a factor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sapple89, that sounds like a terrible deal to me, but could you give me the guy's number? ;)

That is an excellent deal. I am sure that there are a lot of owners of 2008 models that still owe more than that on their own bikes. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Im not buying the bike from the dealer. The private seller never took it off the show room floor.

the owner is prepared to take 6k but I don't think its such an amazing deal. (+ Im more of a sport bike person)

Thanks for letting me know about the new fuel injection situation. that is going to have a HUGE influence on me deciding if I purchase it or not.
Sorry it got away. But, if you're more of a sports-bike guy, but also like something about the Bonnie, take a look at the Thruxton. It's not exactly a CBR600RR, but it's got far more sports bike to it than the standard Bonneville, but still has all the same retro look and feel...;)

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts