Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and considering buying a 2008~2010 1050 Sprint.
There are many available with hard bags and low kilometers for very reasonable prices here in Oz.
My question is what should I be looking out for?
What if any are the recommended modifications for these bikes for reliability, performance and handling?
Any information will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
From my pov, there is only two main issues with this bike:
1) Engine head gasket oil leak (issue #2)
2) Battery, mean: check charging voltage (issue #1!)
3) Test drive, engine start within 3-5 seconds (even cold!), should running smoth and powerfull with all triple energy of 1050 engine
4) No blue smoke from exhaust
well, electric stuff only cause the issues, actually
May be other will add more...

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
  • Electrical - check the bike produces good charge when running. Original regulator/rectifier is prone to failure and connector between stator and R/R is prone to arcing. Both will result in poor charge voltage
  • Rear hub bearings - if more than 40k km then check if they've ever been lubricated
  • Valve check - if you're OK with checking/adjusting valves yourself then no problem. If you pay someone else then that routine maintenance can cost. Find out when they were last checked
  • Early models (pre-2008) with plastic tanks were prone to swelling of the tank due to ethanol in fuel. If you're looking at 2008 on then tank will be steel. Make sure it is.
  • If you buy one with hard bags make sure they're fitted and all the mounting hardware is present. The mounting hardware is getting difficult to find and expensive when you do find it.
My #1 recommendation for performance improvement - suspension upgrade. Upgrade springs to suit your weight and revised damping will increase confidence. Rear not so bad but still room for improvement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I come from a 2001 VFR, so very used to the electrical problems which are easy and relatively cheap to fix for good.
Suspension is something I do to all my bikes, so that’s not a problem.
Most of the bikes here are stock standard, it surprises me how few people do any modifications to their bikes.
I do all my own work including valve shims, much easier on the gear drive cams of the VFR.
I’ve been looking for a couple of months, prefer a red one with hard bags and under 40,000km in perfect condition.
Plenty around so I’ll find the right one eventually.
Cheers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stripped some plastic off it today to check it out.
Very clean but with two issues.
There’s a plug under the tank with nothing attached, and I can’t find a wiring diagram to work out what it’s for.
Replaced the stock 19T front sprocket with an 18T, and found the nut on the original was finger tight as others have found.
Checked charge and it’s a steady 14.3v but battery is crap and won’t hold full charge.
if anyone knows where to find a wiring diagram it would be a great help.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The plug you have found may be the one for the optional alarm. On my old '08 Sprint the alarm was mounted to the inside of the chassis rail on the LHS, toward the front. Bikes without alarms fitted will have an 'end-around' connector fitted to the plug which basically bypasses the non-existent alarm and tells the ECU all is fine and to keep on truckin.

Can you attach a picture of the plug? It may be easier to identify it if we know what it looks like.

Keef.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely doesn’t have a canister.
I was thinking along the same lines.
On a different note, how much better is it with a 18T front sprocket? It only took me 2 days to realize that this needed doing. So much better now for my style of riding.

·
2,951 Posts
I installed an 18T front sprocket on my 1050. Completely changed the bike, improved responsiveness noticeably. The only real downside that I noticed was about a 10% decrease in fuel economy. I figure it was more than offset by an increase in smiles per mile

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts