Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been looking at the Sp3 T309 series lately and have found two.
1995 models. One black one orange.
I tested the black one on a short run and quite enjoyed it although it IS top heavy and
tends to flop into tight corners. Also I found the clip-ons too low. Would I miss a 6th gear?

So, what do I have to do to improve handling and comfort?

LSL bars?
Raise the forks through the yoke (by how much?) I've done this on my TBS by 30mm and there's a great improvement.
- a fly screen - are there any available now?

Other stuff is more optional and depends on how much I've got to spend, but I'm interested in doing the following.

- Upgrading the brakes to 6 pot (on other threads some people have said that Tokicos fit. But are they a straight bolt-on?)
- engine upgrade - dyno kit and k&N filters
or cosworth Super 3 upgrade (is this worth it or reliable?)
- after market exhausts - Wolf - Trident exhausts seem to be the only option left. Is this true?
- fork spring and rear shock upgrade - Hagon seems like a good price-quality product. Any experience with them?

The bikes are priced at 4000€, but I haven't started haggling yet!!
Based on the replies I'll make a final decision!
Many thanks

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The Tokico six pots bolt right on.

I'm not sure that the Dyno Jet kit is worth the money, but then I've never used one. I bought just jets for $15. Dyno Jet also renumber their jets so you're locked in.

Are Cosworth parts even available any more? Pistons, cams, gaskets & what else? $$$$$$!

They aren't at all top heavy at speed, you'll find it a fun bike.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Choice of tyre will make the flopping into tight corners worse or better, a less pointy but more rounded profile like Conti road attacks or Pilot roads help.

Not worth the cosworth route, difficult to find, moves power up the rev range, expensive.

Risers & screen sounds like it will help you there are a few options you can check out.

Tokico as said bolt straight on, but a ggod going over of the original set up can help a lot.

Loads of pipes available Lazer, Scorpoin, Quill, D&D, Remus, Micron & more.

'96 models have a 6th gear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Brakes and screens

Thanks for replies.
Would this model 63mm six pot be compatible?

made by
Manufacturer: Suzuki
for these bikes
Model/ Series: GSXR 1000 K1 K2, GSXR 600 K1 K2 K3, GSXR 750 K1 K2 K3

or what are the compatible models?

And do you have any links to find the fly screens?

Thanks again
Simon

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Busa, GSXR1000 K1, Kawasaki ZX9R, ZX6R, Susuki GSX1400, Kawasaki ZXR1200,

There are a few other sports bikes & the like I can't remember, but what your looking for is 90mm between the centre of the caliper mounting bolts, apart from that the lowest mileage best condition you can get, they will bolt straight up onto your forks & hoses you'll only need fresh fluid and some new brass sealing washers.

6 Pots can be a pain to bleed in from a dry system so a vacuum bleeding tool of some sort may be handy too.

Good luck

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are quite a few for sale on ebay. So, just to review, a GSXR K1 gold 6 pot (63 mm it says in the ad, whatever this refers to) would fit on then?

I'd get a mechanic to do the fitting. I've got a trusted guy who's very good. I'm useless!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi,

On the dropping into corners. I agree with MOT, I changed to Conti Road attacks and found them much better. I also droped forks through tripple clamp a bit as well and this helped too, however I am very light so you may not need to do this.

The bike seems to be quite sensitive to the set up of the forks and the state of the tyres so if you are prepared to spend a bit of time on it you should be able to get a good setup.

I also put raised bars on (I used convertibars however mine is a daytona so they are hidden by the faring) and found this much improved not only comfort but also ability to handle the bike at low speed as it allows some bend in you arms which you can only achieve by going right over the tank with the clip ons. That is ok on a scratch but not round town or on long trips.

I love the bike now, making it fit me has transformed how I feel about it and how I enjoy it.

Andy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More useful information

MotT3: Many thanks for the heads-up on the brakes. Saves making a big mistake!!

Jack Lilley replied to my email and I reckon this'll be useful info for everyone with a Speed 3 T309.

"You can get 6 pot Triumph calipers T3990130 Kit
caliper including master cyclinder is £678.34 inc vat
or you can get Beringer which cost around
£350-400 per caliper plus you will need the larger master cylinder
which will cost £232.00
You can not get Triumph belly pans but you can
get plain black aftermarket ones which cost £70
Again Triumph do not do a screen for the speed
triple but the Thruxton one fits at a cost of £135.20"

·
Registered
13 Posts
lsl conversion

hi, i put the lsl top yoke conversion on mine and wide renthal bars, and love it, really feel it suits this classic bikes image very well, also a lot comfier for me personally than the original clip ons, only negative is i think they cause instability from 80-90+, so whether or not its upset the geometry of the bike or not i don't know

cheers jase

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
80-90 should feel as solid as a rock Jase..I would check rear sock settings and front forks plus how are your tyres ? No offense to your riding style bit gripping too toght can have a bad effect..even if it's caused by headwind from a more upright riding position ?

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Hi,
<...> Also I found the clip-ons too low. Would I miss a 6th gear?
As long as you have 25mm of fork tube above the triple clamp, you could use bars from a Trident, Trophy, or Sprint in addition to the other options, but an adapter like the LSL unit is probably the best option. My understanding of the 5-speed tranny is that it has the same top and bottom, you just shift one less time to get between 'em. IMHO, the 6-speed is really overkill on a motor with such a wide torque spread.

So, what do I have to do to improve handling and comfort?

LSL bars?
Raise the forks through the yoke (by how much?) I've done this on my TBS by 30mm and there's a great improvement.
- a fly screen - are there any available now?
Not sure why Jack Lilley is suggesting the Thruxton screen, as they're all striped. The Bonnie screen looks the same to me, but comes in solid colors.

Other stuff is more optional and depends on how much I've got to spend, but I'm interested in doing the following.

- Upgrading the brakes to 6 pot (on other threads some people have said that Tokicos fit. But are they a straight bolt-on?)
As has been said, the Tokicos with 90mm center on center bolt spacing will bolt straight on. If they're a little off side to side, they can be shimmed with regular washers between the caliper and the fork.

- engine upgrade - dyno kit and k&N filters
Meh. Dyno sells their jet kits for a lot of money, supposedly to recoup their R&D expenses. They did crap R&D for the T3s so you're better off buying Mikuni jets for a tenth of the price.

I don't like K&N filters because they don't filter well until they're clogged, which is when they stop passing much air. Great for race bikes where the filter is cleaned and the engine rebuilt every week, but not so great on the street. The oiled foam factory filter in the T3 series catches a lot more dirt, clogs up a lot less quickly, and flows more air than you're likely to need.

or cosworth Super 3 upgrade (is this worth it or reliable?)
All the T3s got the Cosworth castings, as the original tooling was worn out by '94 or so. The big thing with the Super III was the cams, and like pretty much any performance cam grind they steal from the bottom and middle to feed the top. Red cams from a Super III will give you more peak power, but the standard green cams are what you want for a hoon bike like the Speed Triple.

- after market exhausts - Wolf - Trident exhausts seem to be the only option left. Is this true?
- fork spring and rear shock upgrade - Hagon seems like a good price-quality product. Any experience with them?
Plenty of options for pipes, as Mot said, but I'll put in a plug for Trident as a happy customer and as someone who appreciates that they specialize in Hinckley Triumphs.

Hagon does seem like good bang for the buck, but they're not as good as the original Showa units. If you can find a shop to rebuild your OEM shock that's probably a better option.

I like Sonic Springs for springs, as they cost 20% less than Öhlins for similar quality springs, and their customer service is top notch as well. Not sure if they ship outside the USA, though.

The bikes are priced at 4000€, but I haven't started haggling yet!!
Based on the replies I'll make a final decision!
Many thanks
That looks pricey from this side of the pond! :eek: Let us know what you decide...

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
13 Posts
ye not sure dude, i did mean cornering at these speeds, as its fine in a straight line. i wondered if the wide bars were making the bike very sensitive to the extra leverage purchased on them from the wind buffeting on my arms as it seems worse when im wearing textile jacket rather than leathers, anyway it feels as if it wants to go into a speed wobble and throw me off

·
Registered
691 Posts
The big thing with the Super III was the cams,
Ok they played their part inshifting the power band , but the biggest was the pistons. Worth about 10bhp on any engine.

Paul.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Buy a Speed Triple

I miss the 6th gear on my 95 Triple, which was added on the 96 and later models. I still have the original drop bars on my machine and to be quite honest had I have been 30 years younger I wouldn't have any problem with them, but at 66 I find the bars challenging for both shoulders and numb fingers. Watch out for the starter problems known to the T300 series, the second time my starter collapsed it cost a fortune and the motor starter ring had to be replaced, (removal of motor). Other issues are the frost warning light, bad earth somewhere. Metzlers seem to be a solid tyre for the bike. Otherwise the bike is a real challenge, good speed and reasonable handling. Have had no need to buy extras and apart from usual service found the bike very reliable.
Gordon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts