Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been reading off and on for a while, but this is my first post. I have an '04 Thruxton, which I certainly like. I would like quicker handling. My interest isn't so much straight line, top end speed, it is in the curves. I also am wanting to do some two-up riding, but mostly solo. I am not particularly interested in long distance touring, but maybe some short distance, say no more than 500 miles. I have done some minor changes to the Thruxton, but nothing too high dollar. My question: do I continue to put money into the Thruxton, hoping to get more performance, or go to a new bike? With the above criteria in mind, I have looked at the Sprint, the Daytona 675, or maybe the newest Tiger. I can't see the 675 being too comfortable two-up, but like what I hear otherwise. How much sport and how much touring is the Sprint ? How would the newest Tiger be handling-wise? Sorry for the long winded post, just want opinions of people who know these bikes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
78 Tiger, Welcome!

I can recommend either a Sprint, or the new Tiger. The Daytona 675 would be a great track bike, or solo in the twisties, but terrible two up. If your pillion is waif-like, she might put up with the Daytona for an hour. The Sprint or Tiger would be worlds better two up comfort wise, and neither would not be as affected handling wise as the 675 would two up.

The Sprint is more SPORT-touring, the Tiger more sport-Touring, and the Tiger would be better around town/ commuting. In the twisties, it would probably be a draw between the Sprint and Tiger, with the Daytona eating them both for lunch. All three would be sharper/ quicker steering than the Thruxton.
So, between the Sprint and Tiger the biggest differences would be seating position and wind protection, with the Tiger being more upright but the Sprint having slightly more wind protection. I think the old Tiger looks slightly tall and goofy, but the 1050 is hot!

Have you ridden a Triumph triple engined bike yet? It will be WORLDS faster than the Thruxton, so be easy with the loud handle, especially at first!

Ride them all and buy what makes you go :-D

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 06 sprint is more sporty than the 07 is. If you want to be able to through it around in a corner than get the 675. The sprint corners real good but it is not going to be anywhere near the 675 in a corner. The Tiger is more upright than the 07 sprints. If you want the best of all worlds go with the sprint

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything everyone is saying is pretty much on line with what I had thought. I've had Jap bikes, Harley, BMW, and I know there isn't a "one bike does it all best". Thanks for confirming my conclusions!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
78tiger,

I know where your coming from.I had a 790 Bonnie,which I loved.Had put pod filters on,Staintunes, rejetted,fitted lower bars and bobbed guards.Then I realised no matter how much money I threw at it,it was never really going to stop,go or handle like I wanted.
I now have a 02 ST and it is great, very quick and comfortable as well.I still miss my Bonnie every time I hear one go past.
I guess I ll just have to save hard so i can have both in the shed one day.
:(

·
Registered
132 Posts
On my 00 Sprint RS, I've kept right on the tail of a buddy who roadraces with him on his R6. Probably one of the stupidest days of pushing the limits on the street I've done but the bike can do it, it's just up to the rider.
As far as two-up, had my wifey with one day and traded bikes with another buddy (R1), within a mile my wife was wanting to swap back to the Sprint.
I haven't ridden a 1050 Sprint yet but from sitting on them the 05/06's are very similar to my RS with the lower bars.
I really love the new S3 but that scared the missus since there's nothing behind the seat...she kept thinking she was sliding off (I promise I didn't do any wheelies! :wink: ).
The new Tiger almost outlusts the S3, I think it's more of a redesigned RS than Tiger but haven't seen one in real life yet so that opinion has to wait.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
The Sprint is a lovely allrounder and one of the best, if not the best, of its class on the road. Does take a pillion well for touring, has one of the best oem seats in the busines.

The Tiger has basically the same motor and is about 12kg lighter. But it only has one headlight on low beam and the 2nd kicking in for high. At least as comfortable as the Sprint but a little more upright than the 05/06 Sprint.

The S3 doesn't have a fairing, doesn't have the projector beam headlights (still uses H7 bulbs) BUT has significantly greater acceleration than the Sprint (some of this is the power to weight - some is the lower gearing of the S3), is 21kg lighter than the Sprint, doesn't feel top heavy like the Sprint, is a great bike for city riding, commuting and touring one up, not really suitable for any distance two up.

Am I biased - well I have just traded my 05/6 Sprint for an 07 Speed Triple :)

Russ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gee thanks guys! Here I had it narrowed down to three bikes and you go and throw the Speed Triple back into the equation! Seriously though, it is ironic in that the Speed Triple was what originally caught my eye back when I thought to give the "new" Triumph a try. The reason I went with the Thruxton was 1st price, then 2nd, I have always liked the looks of the old cafe bikes. I guess maybe the "naked" bike is the cafe bike modernized. At any rated with new exhaust, AI removed, and different tires I'm still looking to improve it ie:brakes, suspension, basically an eye towards handling. I have heard the Speed Triple handles great in the curves, how does it compare to the other three? Again, sincerely though, thanks for all your time and imput!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I swapped my new 2001 Bonnie after only 10 months. Nice enough bike but I realised it didn't suit my riding needs and why settle on 60 odd horses (which may go to 70 with lots of work) when I could get a reliable 120 straight up with no downsides that I could see. Event the fuel mileage is similar.
The RS is a bit sportier than the ST so may suit you better, but the speed triple would be a blast, just as Russ says

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well here's another one for you. I've just traded my 06 S3 for an 07 Sprint (the UK spec Sprint has the same bars as the 06 and still has the sporty feel).

I loved the S3 but it wasn't that practical for me. I went to the dealer to ride a 1050 Tiger and didn't like it - too high for me and the exhaust note a bit tame after the S3. I rode a Sprint back to back and loved it. The standard 07 Sprint pipe sounds great - better than the 06 S3 with standard pipe - and I love it.

For me the Tiger is a bit Ewan McGregor. Hard decision for you - follow your heart I say.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Dlanod, I'll concede the sound of the Sprint and S3 in std guise goes to the Sprint. I'll also concede if you change the front sprocket on the Spritn form a 19T to an 18T you'll get about the same accelaration (obvisouly the Sprint is still 10%/21KG heavier).... But the S3 is a hooligan...... the Sprint is Triumph's BMW - every grey haired Gen Xer has one :) :hammer: :hammer:

Go the Hooligan - you know ya wanna :yayyy: :pkit:

Russ :cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Ruscook - actually, I really want them both but I'd have to sleep with them too!
Man, does that sound familiar! So I ended up buying a used 05 Sprint at a very good price and used the difference between that and a new one to buy a SuperMotard bike.

This way I have my ST for distance & speed and my SM for hooliganism :-D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Everything said so far is spot on. It all just comes down to what sort of riding youre doing and you sound like you are clear on that.

Just to throw another view into the mix - I was having similar thoughts to you a while ago, having owed a 99 ST and now a 05 ST. I really wanted a 600 as a lighter fun machine, but I just couldnt part with the ST. I tried a bunch of 600's (the Ducati 600SS being the worst bike ever!) and eventually parked a 675 beside the ST. The best of both worlds!

Now the 675 is a razor sharp weapon in comparison to, well most things and is awesome at speeds above 100kph and surprisingly easy to ride, albeit with a very aggressive riding position. Many owners report doing 500mile days on them. I definately would not expect a pillion to it on the back, except for maybe a photo shoot.

The trouble is, I rode a Thruxton at the Triumph Rally last October and I know I'm just going to have to have one of those as well. Its fun at 70kph and very different again. Suddenly I had an idea of what my "older" relatives had been on about with their riding stories form the 60's & 70's.

I know a lot of people are not in a position to own more than one bike, but a man has to have a hobby and life is short.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.

Brett.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts