Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first poster here. I'm hoping to soon join the ranks of all you esteemed Sprint owners. A couple questions:

Is there a drastic difference between the 2006 and 2007s? I've test driven a 2007 ABS and loved the seating position and all the rest. However, another dealer wants to get rid of an overstock 2006 ABS model and says they will give me a good deal. I know the 2007s have taller bars and some recall improvements, like more exhaust shielding. Anything else?

Would it be worth the extra money (and wait a little while for the non-ABS 2007) or should I go for the 2006 ABS? I'm not a huge fan of ABS but it'd be ok.

Would it be reasonable to ask them to swap bars for a 2007 on the 2006 to mimic the seating position of the 2007?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Vox,
welcome aboard mate. You'll find us a humurous and helpful bunch with sometimes very different ideas.

I'll let guys riding the models you enquire about answer that.

But my guess is the 2007 would have some of the minor niggles ironed out.

Over to the people that really know......................

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
the resale value of a new one takes a big hit
after you leave the show room.

i assume both bikes have the hard bags.

if you can get the 06' for over $1200
less than the 07' i would get the 06'

you can get some bar risers and a Givi screen
for about $200 total. = the 07' updates.

the seats sit the same, i've been on both twice.
yes they look alitte different, but they sit the same.

if you have to have red or black then your after
the 07'

also check if your insurance guy has the 06'
listed a few $ cheaper.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The heat dies way down after some break-in on the engine. Also, if not already fitted, the 06 should be eligible for the heat kit install if you ask for it. I love my 06 and the ABS has so far been totally unobtrusive. The slightly higher bars seem to be a toss up as far as opinions go here so far. Either way its a great all around bike!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rode an 07' and personally did not like the more upright riding position. You might say I like the "Sport" in Sport Touring.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like there's consensus for the 2006 as long as the price is right. I might like the 2006 riding position all right, anyway; I imagine it's somewhere between my sv650s and the new 2007, which would be ok.

You have a nice community here--thanks for your help!

·
Registered
929 Posts
read up on the a.b.s.
two wheel mag did a report and people talked about it on here too.
it is one of the best abs systems on motorcycles todate.
so just do a search for it.

I thinks its really what you like personally and what your skills are.
i'm not a slouch... and not nicky hayden by anymeans. LOL

but I do want to get home to my kids after every ride so
any extra measure of saftey is worth it to me.

I have the 06 abs and I love it.

cheers.

[ This message was edited by: bakwheeltango on 2007-02-16 20:29 ]

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got an '06 ABS and am delighted. I heard some people raving about risers for the bars so I bought some (1.125" Gen Mars) but don't feel that the position is really any better (or worse) than stock. That is to say, I wasn't unhappy with the '06 stock bars in the first place -- maybe that's because I'm 6'3" and have long arms.

Anyway, I'm stoked with my '06 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. I would like to ride an '07, though, just for the experience...

As for ABS, it's never in the way unless you intend to lock a wheel. I'm trying to think of a time I'd want to do that.

--Sparty

·
Registered
111 Posts
On 2007-02-16 19:48, Vox wrote:
Sounds like there's consensus for the 2006 as long as the price is right. I might like the 2006 riding position all right, anyway; I imagine it's somewhere between my sv650s and the new 2007, which would be ok.

You have a nice community here--thanks for your help!
I used to ride an sv650s. The '06 is more comfortable than that (although not WAY more comfortable). I agree with what every once else has said except I'd go for more than 1200 off. I got almost 1000 off back in March of '06 on mine.

Also, make sure if you do get the '06, they include the new '06 hard bags and not the older '05 ones that do not close well and leak.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just kind of a luddite when it comes to ABS on cycles. Not rational, really. I've been riding for 30 years now (22 on the road) and have typically rode used, low-tech bikes that were 10+ years old when I bought them, so part of me feels ABS is an unnecessary luxury and expense. The SV was the first bike I bought new. My skilz are ok, I'm not Nicky Hayden either!

Thinking on it, the only time I locked up a wheel and really felt it was beneficial was when a carload of touristas suddenly stopped in front of me on a rain-slick highway to gaze at a deer. The only way I avoided rear-ending them on my CB750 was locking up the rear wheel and laying it down. Of course, the brakes on a '73 CB750 in the rain leave something to be desired anyway, so the point is kind of moot. I'll probably love the ABS once I get used to the idea.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to ride an sv650s. The '06 is more comfortable than that (although not WAY more comfortable). I agree with what every once else has said except I'd go for more than 1200 off. I got almost 1000 off back in March of '06 on mine.

Also, make sure if you do get the '06, they include the new '06 hard bags and not the older '05 ones that do not close well and leak.
Thanks Climbbike. How can I tell I'm getting the '06 bags?

·
Registered
219 Posts
^^^From what I understand, the older bags are like a clamshell and the new bags have a lip that overlaps. I asked the dealer about getting the older bags and he told me that Triumph took all of them back. If the bags are coming from Triumph, you'll get the new ones.

I was waffling between the 07 and 06 but made my decision after the dealer gave me the price for the 06. It ended up be a few thousand less than MSRP. Triumph are also offering 5.9% and 90 days no payment on the 06 models. Hopefully my bike will be here next week sometime. :-D

[ This message was edited by: 02S3 on 2007-02-17 10:38 ]

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
The computer has been tweeked on the 07 to make starting faster. I have an 05 I bought as a leftover in 06 at a substantial discount It came with all of the upgrades ie free bags and heat shielding. My thumb doesn't get tired holding the button an extra second or 2 :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm waiting for delivery on a 2006 Sprint without ABS. I'm in that weird limbo as the bike is traveling from whatever distribution center. Can't wait!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts