Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got up this morning with that what can I cut up today feeling, out to the garage and get the bearclaw out its from storage, first stage of the butchering process. I bolted back on I adjusted so there is a 5 mm gap around the top, will go for a longer ride around town then open road in the morning with digital thermometer tucked under there and see what she reads, will yet you all know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi There R3,

I have been mulling over how to cut my claw since I put my k&ns on a year ago - after seeing your post, now I know! Beautiful work man. Can you tell me what you used to make the cut and any tips or tricks so it won't look like my usually chainsaw carpentry? Much appreciate any advice.

O-rat

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the positive comments, I taped the claw up to protect the shinny bits, used a permenant marker for the cut line then used a hand jigsaw with fine tooth metal blade, it was tricky as the claw is anything but flat, I sat it on a block of polystyrene stopped it from jumping around and it didnt matter if the jigsaw blade touched, then you just take your time and she's good, finished the cut edge with a hand grinder and disc then carefully file finish. It actually came up very well the first person to see it in the flesh was very surprised at how well finished it looked. Almost factory :-D

·
Registered
45 Posts
By hand, that makes sense , less chance of a oops. I know some guys have used dremels to cut but I could just see it jumpin and f 'in up something. I''ll post pics - if all you can see is the starboard side of the bike you'll know I screwed up!

o-rat

On 2006-11-17 12:00, R34ME wrote:
Thanks for the positive comments, I taped the claw up to protect the shinny bits, used a permenant marker for the cut line then used a hand jigsaw with fine tooth metal blade, it was tricky as the claw is anything but flat, I sat it on a block of polystyrene stopped it from jumping around and it didnt matter if the jigsaw blade touched, then you just take your time and she's good, finished the cut edge with a hand grinder and disc then carefully file finish. It actually came up very well the first person to see it in the flesh was very surprised at how well finished it looked. Almost factory :-D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck a steady hand and a good eye, or a few beers and just go for it. :cool:

[ This message was edited by: R34ME on 2006-11-17 16:19 ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exhaust are D&D's have Corbin Rumble seat and progressive 440's on the way, that should do it for a while.

:-D

[ This message was edited by: R34ME on 2006-11-18 01:32 ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem with water sucking yet, I have made some foam covers that have been waterproofed for torrential rain protection, carry them under the seat, simply slip them over if it's that real heavy and sideways rain. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts